Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Is it ok to use XTR inner cable in Gore Ride on outers?
  • LordJingles
    Free Member

Ive fitted an XTR inner cable to old but fairly new (6 weeks) Gore Rideon Sealed gear cable system outers and the shifting is now really hard at the levers.

Are they not compatible? If not what can I use?

Thanks

J

Marge
    Free Member

Ride-on cables are outer, full length liner & inner right?

What combination are you using?
    I used ride-on outers & liner with all XTR cables without problem…

Ambrose

Shouldn't be a problem me'thinks. Check the diameter of each inner cable, see if they are different. Have you burred/ crushed the outer at all? Is the liner rucked up?

LordJingles
    Free Member

I am using a Rideon Outer and liner with an XTR inner and its feels rubbish.

Will have to check if something is bunching somewhere. 🙁

alanf
    Free Member

Sounds like bunching, I had it a fair bit when I had some.
    They're OK till you take em apart and then they are worse than normal cables

peajay

The ride on inners have a coating on them, I had to remove the bit of coating at my front mech cable clamp coss it was slipping, so I don't think that they would work as well with xtr inners that don't have the coating,
    PJ

Crell
    Free Member

I tried using the gore(spare) outer amd liner and some bog standard shimano gear cable for the remote lockout on my SID WCs . The lack of the coating on cable created friction hell, they were unuseable. Also the inner liner has a little lip that stops it disappearing in to the outer cable. As this offcut didn't have the lip, the liner started moving as well – only slightly but certainly bunching. XTR cables ARE coated with some friction lowering stuff, so as long as you have the lip on the inner liner you should be OK. I'm specifically talking about the newer sealed Ride On cable.

Excellent cables though otherwise when properly set up. Shame about the price.

RideOnCables
    Free Member

Hi,

Robert here from Gore RideOn Cable Systems.

Just to set the record straight… our Sealed systems are really designed to be used as a system – i.e. our cable in our liner in our outers. The low friction coating on our cable is what allows it to travel so smoothly in a fully sealed system, where other cables struggle…

If you have a premature failure of your cable system, please don't hesitate to get ahold of us, as our cables are all guarenteed to work for one year (many out last that 1st year 3 or 4 or 5 times over!).

Thanks!
    Robert Thomas
    Applications Engineer
    Gore RideOn Cable Systems

http://www.rideoncables.com
    http://www.twitter.com/rideoncables

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Is it ok to use XTR inner cable in Gore Ride on outers?’ is closed to new replies.