Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Is it bad form to comment on classified adverts?
  • akira

Always have a squiz at the classifieds just to be nosey, often you’ll see the same stuff up for months with no price reduction and where you can find the product new for less. Bad form to inform the seller that he’s not going to sell it and after three months he should have taken the hint that it’s overpriced.

scotroutes

By all means email the seller directly but any comment along the lines of “you want how much?” or “I can get that cheaper at CRC” is considered poor form.

akira

Well there goes my evening then. 😉

jekkyl

comment away, whats the worst that can happen?

akira

I think I actually commented on this one ages ago and no price change or reply. Not wanting to be a douche but for some reason it annoys me.

cookeaa

Is it something you might want?

If so, email them with your estimate of its value, if they turn you down, nevermind.

Stoner
    Free Member

There was the great Classifieds Conference of Todmorden in 1271, in the presence of Pope Mark, and all the Cardinals of Bigg Hittering at which it was decreed that Classifieds users are lost souls with no godly right to guidance. And that the heathen that dwell in that foul place shall caveat their emptors, and the enlightened will not pass high words of advice on pain of smiting or banhammering. And so it came to pass, that the traders did shill their overpriced tat, and nothing more was said.

tomhoward

Lemme guess, is it a carbon specialized? Maybe 650b?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Yep, selling stuff for what it cost new 18 months ago and listing some laughable rrp is all good, pointing it out puts you on a par with Jimmy Saville.

akira

It’s nothing I want it’s just a minor annoyance I notice everytime I look on the classifieds. I couldn’t possibly ailment on which popular wheel sizes frame from a major manufacturer it is. But yes.

chakaping
    Free Member

I had to smile when I noticed that a wildly overpriced jersey (£50 and used) had made its way onto here from a local FB group that I use.

Don’t get stressed, just take comfort in the fact that STW users are the stingiest around and the offending items have no chance of selling.

jimw
    Free Member

Slightly OT but there are similar optimists on ebay. A certain Litespeed Niota Ti 26″ wheel frame has been relisted at least five times at the same price……..
    I have it on my watch list just to see how long it will be popping up for. I might be interested if it were half the price ( which I guess confirms the stingy comment above)

Junkyard
    Free Member

Beautifully said Stoner
    Its a strange one there were to items i was interested in last week but both were , literally, available new for cheaper

Given how vocal i was, at the conference mentioned by Stoner, I knew saying something risked the ban hammering mentioned above. Shame as I may have bought them assuming they have halved their price.

I guess the classified drives views hence why we cannot comment when they are trying to rip folk off

boxelder

Hairyscary wouldn’t let me pay him anything yesterday. Wouldn’t even take postage costs the stingey get. I’d have commented if I wasnae so a feared o’ the hammer of bannage.

curto80
    Free Member

Always makes me laugh the money people ask for on there. Why waste your time though, pointing out how they’re wasting theirs?

wwaswas

Stoner
    Free Member

£5 posted, PPG WW?

johnw1984
    Free Member

Slightly miffed that an item I wanted to buy off someone got ignored. Posted on the thread, emailed, FB messaged and then see he has relisted it!

Couldn’t give my money away!

All is well as I ended up buying a different one 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

The sidewinder gloves that have a description befitting of a 5 pound pair of gloves?

repaired and a bit tatty…..i admired the honesty.

They started at about 25 quid each.

I then chuckled.

scotroutes

A couple of times, I’ve replied to a “Wanted” post with something I was happy to give away for postage cost and still got no answer. It’s those folk that say “email me at “…”. Nah – just look at the bloody thread you started moran!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I wish people would do it more to be honest .

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

kerley
    Free Member

Some people are in no rush to sell and just trying to find a buyer who has done zero research. See it on eBay all the time with used items with a Buy It Now price higher than brand new. They all show up in the same results so doesn’t take much research to spot the new items that are cheaper.

Having said that I have sold used items listed as auctions and they have sold for more than you could get them new (found by a quick Google search) so not much I can do about that. Fools and money etc,.

hora
    Free Member

Every so often there’s on one etc stuff that I think was very similar money to when it was discounted new.

convert

Got stung with this one years ago. Someone selling an arm load of half used tyres under the banner statement of ‘buy one of these to give them a test before shelling out to buy new’. Only snag was they were priced way above what anyone with google and single digit could find new from pretty much every store. Instead of private messaging I commented below that I was interested in X,Y&Z if he could come up with a price that reflected their actual retail price and the (self confessed half worn) condition. That unleashed a shitfest of expletive ridden emails and abusive comments from both him and other classified regulars.

That and a couple of poor experiences with tossers (one as a buyer, one as a seller) and sadly I concluded classified now has too many throbbers on it for my liking and tbh I’m not in so much need financially to bother with the hassle of second hand parts so have not ventured into Mordor for a good while.

I do remember (when it was all fields) and classified was mostly folk emptying sheds at a price that was better than putting the stuff in the bin but was barely mates rates. Then ebay happened and all the cheap mates rates stuff was bought up by opportunists and shoved on the bay and the happy bubble burst.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Every so often there’s on one etc stuff that I think was very similar money to when it was discounted new.

Most people flogging stuff know what they paid and if your lucky a quick check of what it costs now. Most people don’t spend their lives trawling the various discount/sale lists of things they already own. If it’s on one etc then the discounted/slashed/firesale price of 7 quid and some polo’s was for the 12cm frame in vomit and puss colour that nobody wanted.

As said make people an offer.

If you want to spend your life trawling through and price matching on classifieds then take a look at yourself.

stewartc
    Free Member

Slightly different approach in HK where on a popular FB Bike classified page people will openly proclaim if the item can be bought elsewhere and even provide where to get these items on occasion.
    Prospective buyers will often be asked for the item to be held in the comments section and then not follow up leading to the thread being constitutionally updated with either ‘on hold’ or ‘still available’.

steveoath
    Free Member

Aren’t we forgetting the first rule? Check poster’s history. Classified only poster seems to exempt them from sympathy/tact. Ime

scotroutes

TBH, if I’m selling something and it’s way over-valued I’d rather someone let me know than have me constantly reposting it.

Maybe make it a rule that only Premier members can comment. It’s not like the opinions of the riff-raff really matter.

saxabar
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with commenting in my view. If the ads were actually ads (where someone has paid for media space to reach a given audience) then complainers may have a point, but this isn’t the case – it’s an open forum with a section dedicated to passing on unwanted bits.

wwaswas

Nothing wrong with commenting in my view.

It used to be quite common but the mods got fed up moderating so it was banned.

There were a few long running advertisers who defended asking more than retail for second hand stuff despite sometimes repeated posts with good intentions telling them they’d never sell it at the price.

“I did sell it in the end so Nah! to you”
    “Yes, but not through stw and not what you were asking for it on here”
    “Well, yes. but still Nah!”

russyh
    Free Member

My particular fav at the moment is the stump jumper frame for £1500 poster has had it pointed out that he is more money than can be bought for new with a manufacturers warranty. But still insists on reposting saying he is not bothered….eh?

convert

My particular fav at the moment is the stump jumper frame for £1500 poster has had it pointed out that he is more money than can be bought for new with a manufacturers warranty. But still insists on reposting saying he is not bothered….eh?

It has been known for folk to be told by their other half the bike has to go for mortgage/baby/calamity reasons. You put it up for sale at an unreasonable price, have evidence to show the boss that you are trying happy in the knowledge it’s never going to leave your shed.

akira

Need bike jumble sale, tons of decent stuff in the shed but can’t be bothered with the posting etc that the classifieds entails.

hooli

I think it is fair game, keeps sellers on their toes and and all that 😆

There are a few odd ones in the classifieds that I never understand.

My part is broken but “only needs a XXX” and it will be as good as new. I will therefore sell it to you for 50% of the RRP.

I have half a well used gear cable, its a bit tatty but will do for somebody. 5p and it is yours if you cover the postage or happen to be in Redditch on a bank holiday Tuesday between 3:00 and 3:02.

I may, possibly, perhaps, potentially sell my bike but I am not sure so I wont put any photos, the spec or the size and will see who wants to buy it.

And my personal favourite, I have a YYY for sale, £10. 6 replies to say they will take it but the seller then goes offline for 5 weeks before relisting it 3 months later.

😀

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’ve been on the receiving end of this type of comment once. When I advertise stuff, I generally price it to sell so it’s not hanging about.

I had a pack of 32mm bottomless tokens spare (when they were like hen’s teeth). I advertised them for what I paid (unopened) with free carriage.

A user kindly posted the amazon link where I actually purchased them from and said “they are that much brand new”.

I basically said that’s really helpful to people who want to wait for 3 months for delviery. Sold them within hours. I wouldn’t mind but it was only about £12 with free post 🙂

This was on Bikeradar (I was naive back then).

Mister-P
    Free Member

Nah – just look at the bloody thread you started moran!

StefMcDef
    Free Member

I like when someone advertises for sale some lovingly assembled, ti-framed, bling-encrusted, matching-everything bike for some entirely reasonable fraction of its RRP and you get comments along the lines of “Interested in the valve dust caps if you decide to split.”

Northwind

For me if something’s inaccurate- not necessarily as far as dishonest, though that applies too, just inaccurate- then it’s fair game.

Every so often I really want to post “these are awesome, someone buy them” or “you ****, I just bought some of these new”

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Stoner +1 – nicely put.

The response of Mark et al to posting of justified comments on classified ads threads which might protect other “community” members, and even help people sell their stuff faster, a few years ago, was when I realised that this place was not actually really a “community” in the eyes of Singletrack Towers.

Which is fine – their house, their rules. Still don’t understand why given that the posters of ads aren’t paying for the priveledge… hey ho…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Is it bad form to comment on classified adverts?’ is closed to new replies.