Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Is dell still the stw goto for cheap laptop?
  • cbike
    Free Member

Least likely to have all the bloatware?

Just needs windows and micrsoft office.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

A lot of people rate them. Obviously.

We got a complete turkey. When you move the laptop too quickly the screen moves slightly on the hinge, the laptop shuts down and has to be rebooted. Dell said it was software not hardware so tough shit they aren’t fixing it.

I was quite surprised that SOGA doesn’t seem to apply to them.

Please don’t buy a Dell, despite the people all posting below saying they’re great. They’re great until you get one that sucks, at which point Dell don’t give a shit.

holst
    Free Member

Least likely to have all the bloatware?

With Win10, you can use the Reset/Refresh option to remove any bloatware and install a fresh version of Windows. That will take care of any crapware on any new PC.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Anus are good.

bearnecessities

Dirty boy.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Happy Dell customer here, not that I get through them quickly the home one that the new work one replaced is nearly 5 years old only problem is it could do with a new charger and battery. Replaced with the newer version. Worth checking the outlet for cancelled orders etc.

timba
    Free Member

Acer and Asus in this house. Bought all three from here at different times

Alphabet

I recently bought an XPS from their outlet store. No problems or issues so far and it seemed like new when it arrived. It took me checking the outlet store twice a day for about 3 weeks until a machine with the spec I wanted turned up.

spooky_b329

If your Office use is limited to Word and Excel, take a look at Googles Docs and Sheets. If that covers your needs, and you don’t need Garmin software etc installed, take a look at the Chromebooks.

Over two years here, and not looked back. Got the old Windoze laptop tucked away somewhere, it probably gets turned on about once every three months.

Sending Google Docs/Microsoft Word stuff between my Chromebook and the Work PC hasn’t caused me any issues at all.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I was quite surprised that SOGA doesn’t seem to apply to them.

are you sure about that ?

The Dell outlet, and all the resellers that sell outlet goods, exists to resell stuff sent back to Dell because the customer wasn’t happy with it, or it had a fault in which case it gets repaired and is tested again just as for new kit.

Had 5 dell outlet laptops with no issues.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Thegeneralist. Apologies I’m sure it’s been done but if you change the power setting so the laptop doesnt shut down when you close the lid will this solve your problem?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

but if you change the power setting so the laptop doesnt shut down when you close the lid will this solve your problem?

Thanks for the input, alas that’s not when the problem occurs. If I pick the laptop up, and then put it back on the table with a very slight bump, the screen naturally moves a tiny bit. At that point the computer shuts down and needs to be restarted. When it starts up again everything you were working on is lost.

I spent hours on the phone to the Dell people about it. They said it was software related and the software was only warranted for 3 months. We argued a lot, but in the end there was nothing I could do apart from suck it up

nairnster
    Free Member

But is the laptop taking that bit of screen movement and reading it as the lid being closed?

I think thats what he was getting at.

z1ppy

I spent hours on the phone to the Dell people about it. They said it was software related and the software was only warranted for 3 months. We argued a lot, but in the end there was nothing I could do apart from suck it up

I’m sorry but that not fit for (a) porpose, I’d have sent it back asap and had my CC do a charge back, that said why did it only come to light after 3 months?

PS: if you buy the cheapest possible, I wouldn’t expect it to be too ‘robust’ or long lasting (not aimed at TG-ist), just a overall comment. Dell outlet seems to have some decent deals.

gobuchul
    Free Member

If it just powers off because of the software settings, not ideal but why not adjust the laptop lid settings?

slackboy

We’ve had about 40 dell latitudes for work over the last three years. A fair few have had problems with the hinges breaking free from the hinge mount. Other than that build quality and reliability has been good.

Just bought some latitude e3470’s and they don’t look as good build wise – very cheap looking casing. I’d think twice about buying more.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Just bought some latitude e3470’s and they don’t look as good build wise – very cheap looking casing. I’d think twice about buying more.

I only buy Precisions so can’t vouch for the latitudes but the slim ones at work look pretty decent.

If you buy a latitude or precision from the outlet then it will normally have a business warranty which will be for 3 years, or the balance of 3 years.

Other sellers, like europc or x-stock (or others, some of which are on ebay) sell Dell outlet stock as dell sell it to them for resale, which is why there is not as much stock on the dell outlet as there used to be.

Bought the laptop I am typing on (a precision m6800) from x-stock and they seem to have good stock :

http://www.x-stock.co.uk/Default.asp

whereas prevously I have bought from europc, whose stock isn’t as good as it once was :

http://www.europc.co.uk/

Had one issue with the m6600 I bought from europc and they fixed it quickly.

Cougar

They said it was software related and the software was only warranted for 3 months.

Should be easy to prove. Linux boot disk, or even just go into the BIOS setup screen when you boot up. Does it still do it?

Is a factory reset an option? Software’s as-shipped then.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Is dell still the stw goto for cheap laptop?’ is closed to new replies.