Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Is anyone even remotely interested in "The European Games"?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/31734922

Seems to have been the most lacklustre of events to date in terms of promotion or interest.

martinhutch

No

kayla1
    Free Member

The BMX might be quite good to watch if they deign to show it.

MSP

No, although probably more interesting than the commonwealth games.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Well I didn’t know Azerbaijan was part of Europe so guess it was worth the millions spent.

LoCo
    Free Member

Wasn’t even aware of them, although I haven’t left the workshop much in the last few weeks…

wrightyson
    Free Member

Australia is now part of Europe ain’t it according to eurovision law…

Kahurangi

If they’re anything like the Hunger Games then yeah, I would be…

ferrals
    Free Member

This being the European Games that BC isn’t sending any athletes to?

Mtb on Sat I think

Guardian sports photo of the day makes the mtb look interesting:
    Xc climb photo

thepurist

gordimhor

1)Have they started yet?
    2) Errr Does that answer your question? 😳

footflaps

Have to confess I’ll be following the weight lifting, but mainly via FB feeds and not TV.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Think they are on BT sport aren’t they? Might have a look might not, I’ve got my da’s log in. But if they wanted them to be popular they should have put them on council tele.

bloodynora
    Free Member

Hopefully we wont have to suffer being part of this vanity project much longer. Anyway the Commonwealth Games are far better.

Kryton57

Is Jessica Ennis in it?

No then.

tetchypete
    Free Member

Never heard of it.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Think they are on BT sport aren’t they?

I’ve only heard of it from the constant ads on eurosport in between the cycling I’d assume its on there.

brakes
    Free Member

you miserable lot.
    I’ve seen it advertised for a few months on Eurosport and will be catching bits, like the cycling.

edlong
    Free Member

Not really enthusiastic about this at all, and it’s already dying on its ass as a concept. Inaugural games being held in a country with a terrible human rights record (and they’ve refused entry to a number of journalists to cover the games) – massive vanity project for the corrupt dictator who runs the place.

There was only one country who expressed an interest in holding the next games in 2019 and they’ve subsequently withdrawn, so this may be both the first and last running of the games. For those who follow cricket, this looks increasingly like athletics’ “Stanford moment” and I doubt Nicola Adams will look back at her leading the British team out for this as a highlight of her career.

aracer
    Free Member

Kind of, because somebody from our Kayak club is competing. But actually I only heard about it last week, and I tend to follow sport!

jambalaya
    Free Member

not me

loddrik
    Free Member

Call me old fashioned, but I’ll go out of my way to avoid watching women in contact sports.

hooli

no, not even a little

convert

In a nation where we have both the Olympics and the Commonwealth Games, this looks like a multi-event games too far. Again, I had never heard of it until last week. If it’s on on one of those times I turn on the telly (not often) I probably won’t switch over, but I won’t be looking out for it specifically.

Marge
    Free Member

Here in Belgium there is some interest & publicity but only for the mountain-bike XC race 🙂 thanks to the participation of our cyclo-cross hero Sven Nys

ferrals
    Free Member

I’d like to watch the mtb, but its on BT sport, which desipite being free, seems like you have to pay for a set-top box even if you want to watch it on the app, in order to ‘activate’ it. Not sure if its worth £14. Anyone got the set-top box and find it remotely useful?

cbike
    Free Member

Not going too well at the moment. – Caution Graphic video at end of article.

http://www.thelocal.at/20150612/austrian-swimmers-injured-in-bus-accident-at-european-games

Leku
    Free Member
    the-muffin-man

Call me old fashioned, but I’ll go out of my way to avoid watching women in contact sports.

You are old fashioned.

edhornby

makes no sense to me. I would rather stick with the olympics and let each sport have their world championships as their individual pinnacle; yes I know about the euro athletics champs, this is fine as it should be a focused track-n-field champs

as edlong points out about stanford, when you get secondary tournaments and the like it only makes the sports suffer in the long run because punters don’t know who is the best or if it was a decisive outcome. Point in case is boxing, there are all kinds of belts so there isn’t an undisputed champ…

FWIW I think the empire games are a bit daft as well – and I don’t want golf in the olympics either

Edric64
    Free Member

The Commonwealth games are enough of a joke without this as well

ferrals
    Free Member

Womens mtb on now on tinterweb if anyone is remotely interested…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Having just checked a map still struggling with Azerbaijan being in Europe. I guess Iran, Iraq, Oman etc are all European then?

BillMC

No telly here, so no.

tiggs121
    Free Member

No interest here…but then I didn’t watch much of the Olympics/Commonwealth Games either.

mikey74
    Free Member

From a UK point-of-view, I think they made a mistake confining it to BT Sport: If it had been on the BBC, ITV, Sky, Channel 4, or even a mixture of the above I can’t help thinking it would have a higher profile.

These things have to start somewhere: Just look at the humble beginnings of the Olympics.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Sat in a bar post-ride and am loving the XC coverage. Looks a real grind.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Is anyone even remotely interested in "The European Games"?’ is closed to new replies.