Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Is a BFe overkill for Surrey Hills/Swinley?
  • FieldMarshall

Thinking of building up a BFe with some Sektors for general trail use.

Would it be a bit overkill?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Possibly.

I love riding mine round there (150mm Revs, 50mm stem 1×9). Not the fastest thing uphill, but SO much fun on the steeper trails. Very chuckable and more than tough enough that you can hit all but the most stupid of the stunts without worrying about the bike.

That said, it’s far from my only bike, and I spend an equal amount of time round there on my Soda, which is far more of a “straight xc” bike.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Depends which trails you are riding. If you want to session Yoghurt Pots and BKB all day, then yes. If you ride some decent trails over there then no.

All depends what you ride and how you ride it really.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yes.

A rigid SS is overkill for Swinley!

But don’t let that stop you…. I’ve got a Carbon 456 with 150mm Revs on it, which although a ‘hardcore’ hardtail is light enough to ride all day. That’s the only thing I’d be wary of with a BeFe: The weight.

psychle
    Free Member

meh… ride what you like guv! There’s things in both that would be fun on such a bike, just need to hunt it out…

I’ll be riding a Mojo HD round there soon enough, some would say that’s even more overkill! 😆

FieldMarshall

I’m not too bothered about the weight as the quoted weight looks similar to my current P7.

Am more concerned about the geometry, given that neither place is that mountainous and given my age/lack of ability I avoid all the hardcore stuff.

Looks like it is probably not that suitable as a all round trail bike.

epicsteve
    Free Member

The BFe could be built as a general trail bike with perhaps 120-130mm forks etc. but I don’t really see the point as the Soul would then be a better option.

I’ve had mine built up quite light with 160mm RC41 Fighters and light wheels but find I prefer it built up a bit heavier – currently 150mm Talas and XT wheels and about 30lb. It’s still useable as a general trail bike but compromised a little on longer climbs because I went a size down.

souldrummer
    Free Member

I have a Soul and a Dialled Alpine both of which I ride round Swinley and the North Downs/Surrey Hills. The Alpine as heavier than the Soul(and I think about the weight of a BFe) but they are both great fun. Yes the Alpine is, technically, overkill but it does allow me to do some very stupid things and muck about with more confidence than the Soul. None of this may have helped but you never know!!!

freeridenick
    Free Member

PA with pikes; mincing singlespeed or Remedy – all have their place on these hills 😀

geetee1972
    Free Member

You know it’s probably only ‘overkill’ if you could actually afford a Soul but thought you needed the extra strength of a BFe.

Otherwise, it’s likely just the very best handling bike you could afford.

mboy
    Free Member

BFe is great, but not really any more capable than the Soul for about 99.9% of riding in the UK. Sure, if you spend all day hucking off things, or want to ride the Megavalanche on a hardtail then the BFe makes sense, but for just about everything else, buy a Soul and save over a lb in weight…

And before you ask, I own a BFe, and will probably be parting with it soon as it’s just overkill for me… Wouldn’t mind a Soda though!

bongofury
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at a Soul for a while now, however with the BFe currently £300 I found it hard to justify the extra £180. So far happy with decision to go with the BFe and really enjoying it, built with Talas 100 – 140mm, 70mm stem, straight post – climbs fine for me and good fun in the local woods.

jedi

ride what you want to ride! 🙂

rudedog
    Free Member

I thought the Bfe and Soul shared the same geometry?

Northwind

“rudedog – Member

I thought the Bfe and Soul shared the same geometry?”

Yup, exactly the same. But, Soul is lighter and more compliant/comfy, which might or might not be a selling point. Personally I reckon you build a BFe only when you want to use forks that are too long for a Soul or you want to build a little wrecking ball of a shorter travel bike, but, I’m sure there’ll be people that’d disagree.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yes, I seem to be on an ever decreasing trend when it comes to travel, rode Swinley on the BMX, fun but not particularly quick as its geared for park and the brake doesn’t work 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

Personally I reckon you build a BFe only when you want to use forks that are too long for a Soul or you want to build a little wrecking ball of a shorter travel bike, but, I’m sure there’ll be people that’d disagree.

Well not so much disagree as add to – the BFe is almost £200 cheaper.

wors

Does it matter?

Wookster

Got a bfe with u turn revs it’s an amazing bike. Use it for single track, trail centres, mincing ( can’t afford to not go to work 🙂 ) and find it great will get up anything you point it at and I have never felt under or over biked event on my last run of the day when knackered!

The soul is toowhippy forme I’m a bigger rider and having had a chat with Cy I built up a bfe as a trail bike, much prefer it to my stiffee and even my five has stayed put this winter. Don’t think for the money or even three times the money you’ll get more bike.

Have to agree with Jedi ride want you want!!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Try it and see. You can always sell it if you dont get on.

rudedog
    Free Member

The Bfe also has a wider seatube so you’d have more options if you wanted a hyraulic seatpost such as reverb etc (the soul is 27.2 which can be a bit limiting)

si-wilson
    Free Member

What does it really matter? They look ace and have a great reputation and it’s hardly massively overkill is it?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I’d say get one, ride similar to the Soul for not much extra weight and is
    much more versitile

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Is a BFe overkill for Surrey Hills/Swinley?’ is closed to new replies.