Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • is 133k miles a lot for a 1.9 VW t4 van
  • ianv
    Free Member

Any thoughts?

Its a very tidy looking 1999 camper with newish exhaust, timing belt, coils and cv jointsb @ £5K. Does this sound like a good price?.

molgrips
    Free Member

What engine? TD or TDi? Your main worries would be body and interior imo, rather than engine or mechanicals.

ianv
    Free Member

td i think

body, interior looks in a1 condition for the age.

molgrips
    Free Member

TD engines are extremely reliable. Mind you so are the earlier TDis 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

lots of vehicles are good for that sort of mileage these days and they’ll give good service

but it will break at some point, so you really need to work out how much hassle it will cause you when it breaks.
    I mean, are you likely to be able to deal with it packing up and having to get it and your family recovered etc. or is that sort of thing too stressful for you/missus?

alfabus
    Free Member

I got up to 250k in my T4 2.5TDI before I sold it… it was still going strong.

That doesn’t help you particularly with the engine, but all of the rest of the running gear was fine too.

Dave

mrmo
    Free Member

My octavia with a 1.9tdi is at 175k miles, engine seems fine but the interior is getting tired.

giantalkali
    Free Member

currently on 270,000 on my ’01 T4 but it’s the 2.5 tdi.

VanHalen

i think mine is around that mileage.

my mates 1.9tdi was a 250k when he sold it about 4 years ago.. its still going strong.

we paid £3k for our panel van with less than 100K on hte clock 4ish years ago. dunno if that relates to a price today. if its converted and fairly tidy its probably a decent price.

Aidy
    Free Member

Sounds like an alright price.

In fact, shout if you decide not to go for it – I might be interested.

porter_jamie

my 2.5 tdi has 180k on it, and it is absolutely fine. Coils? is it petrol, or was that the glow plugs or something, or maybe springs? Get an MOT put on it, will give you an idea of the general condition.

chojin
    Free Member

Engines will go on forever if looked after, its everything else that tends to go first 🙂

jp-t853

I used to run a fleet of about 20 service vans, they carry weight all of the time but I guess campers do too.

I would say at least 10% would have serious engine/ gearbox problems at around this mileage, as a van the work would cost around £1200 so it wasn’t worth the effort. They would have done this mileage in 3 years which may cause different stresses but as a result I always have doubts about the 1.9 mileage.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah don’t forget though that anyone driving a works van is going to be flogging the nuts off it, so that will skew your statistics jp 🙂

jp-t853

It is a fair point, however that model of van was more prone to having a big problem in our experience. That said the risks are still small.

dr_adams
    Free Member

suppose it depends on the history as well? I mean Vag use their own oil no? and if you don’t go for the right oil then there is premature wear – am tired so facts escape me but believe they formulate their oil differently due to its use and so important to use the correct stuff. Also its normally injectors that tend to go on high mileage diesels no?

How have i found a post from so long ago i dunno i swear i wasn’t on the old old pages! Hmm!!! Sorry for bringing the dead back to life

molgrips
    Free Member

suppose it depends on the history as well? I mean Vag use their own oil no? and if you don’t go for the right oil then there is premature wear

Lazarus thread…

Anyway – the above only applies to PD engines, hence my original post.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘is 133k miles a lot for a 1.9 VW t4 van’ is closed to new replies.