• This topic has 28 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by sv.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Ireland, help please.
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

I have a job interview at a bike shop in Main Street, Skerries, co. Dublin on Monday. My problem is that both Garmin and Google Maps show different places. According to the Garmin it's near Ballyboghil, just North of The Dublin Airport. If Google Maps are to be believed Skerries is on the coast a bit further North but there is no Main Street.
    Is there anybody here able to enlighten my darkened brain? And no, I don't need Trout lights for that 😉

iDave
    Free Member

You could phone the shop and ask where they are? you'll need a translator to work there – unless you're local.

sv

It's north of Dublin, it's not that big – main street will be easy to find. It's beside the sea with a harbour and everything!

Hairychested
    Free Member

sv – Member

It's north of Dublin, it's not that big – main street will be easy to find. It's beside the sea with a harbour and everything!
    So why is the Garmin showing another place… First time it appears to be wrong.

uplink
    Free Member

I've raced motorcycles at Skerries & it's definitely by the sea, NE of Dublin

I don't trust Garmin 😉

FWIW – I think main st. will the the main road in

Hairychested
    Free Member

Let's see what happens on Monday. The guy is desperate for somebody and so am I (for work, that is). Need to see the place, have a quick think, decide one way or the other.
    BTW Is there anywhere there that I could stay for a week or so ('cos if I get the job and decide to move I'll need a few days to sort a flat out)? I'll be car-less at the begining possibly (bike-less too).
    Jeez, I'm scared it's going to be as much of a turd as living currently in London…

iDave
    Free Member

its a cool wee place, by the sea, rains a lot and the economy is all doom.

certainly not a turd. maybe a half

IGMC

Saccades
    Free Member

Had a chat around the lab, and no-one has been to Ballyboghil to know if there is bike shop there and without a name can't say it's the one in the skerries.

We are all based in wexford though, so no help with accomadation either.

As a bonus, the riding over here is class once you get shown the trails (no footpaths/bridleways), although predominently southside in the wicklow/dublin mtns.

shooterman

Spent many holidays in Skerries.

It is just north of Dublin. There's a street which runs along the beach. There's another street which runs parallel to it, further back from the beach. I think the second street back from the beach is the one you're after.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Makes me curious as it seems I wouldn't be missing Middlesex too much. I went to Wicklow Mountains and they were really picturesque, Ireland as a whole seemed rather pretty last week (and that doesn't change that often).
    On a serious note, until I know the job is mine for keeps I'll need a room nearby. There should be B&B's there, are there? What should I expect to pay? I've also been told to consider Droheda if I were to move to Ireland. Good or bad? I'd like decent links with Dublin via public transport and property prices there look fine (according to http://www.daft.ie) in case my wife gets the job she's applied for as she doesn't drive now and won't do it if I can help.

iDave
    Free Member

drogheda to dublin commute would be busy, but prob ok for skerries. can't say drogheda ever struck me as somewhere i'd want to live though

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

drogheda to dublin commute would be busy

Dude, anywhere-Dublin is busy.

Consider your options before moving north of Dublin if you want to get riding in. As someone else said, you pretty much have to go south to the Wicklow mountains (which are stunning to be fair).

Wild Horses wouldn't drag me anywhere near Dublin though. I have little good to say about it.

wheelz
    Free Member

If you do end up in Drogheda, then you can also go North for riding. The Mournes are pretty good, and Rostrevor isn't that far from Drogheda up the motorway.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The Mournes are pretty good

Aye, that's very true and I cannot hear the word without singing to myself "..the mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea…"

AndyP
    Free Member

Take lots of potatoes to win favours with small children

Pezzers
    Free Member

I lived in Santry just north of dublin for a time. Can't remember a bike shop in Skerries and I went there quite a lot. I do remember a bike shop out by the airport but south of the airport in a small shopping centre just off the main road. Basically leave the airport turn right onto the main road towards city (not the motorway!) past Santry village then pretty much next shopping centre on the right. If it Skerries there it will be easy to find.

There is mountain biking out Drogheda way but the scene is mainly road riding. South of Dublin is where the mountainbiking happens or go further north to somewhere like Dundlake for top riding an hours commute by car remember there are toll roads in Ireland so factor these into your commute costs. Cos of living is pretty horrendous!!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

…not 🙄

sv

My Wife and I stayed over a couple of nights in the Skerries a couple of years back – nice pub out at the harbour IIRC. Also think the B&B was back one or two streets from the sea front. How far does the Dart run out?

We have also stayed in Sutton X and Howth and it was handy for getting into Dublin. That bike shop in Dublin by the river is a small tardis like place!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Now, I'll say this much, Howth really is lovely – Dublin's probably more expensive than London to live in these days though.

sv

reminds me of a couple of months back. I had an account manager over from England and was visiting some customers of his in Dublin. He too had been taking the P*** about Southern Ireland you know potatoes for breakfast lunch and dinner blah blah blah. So we were driving through Dublin (slow traffic) just approaching St Stephens Green when we both witnessed a woman leading a HORSE out of a block of flats and down the street! The 'Commitments' moment has done nothing to help at all.

sv

…and watch 'Break the Cycle' film all about the Irish MTB scene.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Got the job, new shop to be opened next week. Good pay, well – ok pay, nice beach and some top totty selling food at Smiles. Time to find a flat. Drogheda seems fine, might be a better bet than Skerries as if another job was needed for my wife, there are some vacancies there.
    Wish me luck, chaps. If I have it my way the shop will be a fine place. Pop in if you're in the area, say hello. A cuppa shouldn't be too difficult.
    Life is so grand!

iDave
    Free Member

so it is, to be sure…

sv

Jaffa Cakes ok with the tea? Don't forget to YouTube Break the Cycle film – honcho IIRC.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

so it is, to be sure…

Again,
    😆
    …not

Keep 'em coming though, they're hilarious.

shooterman

I will pop down some Saturday!

I must admit Drogheda would not be top of my list of places to live.

sv

'Happy out' and 'langers' are my two favourite ROI sayings.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

langers

Just a quick translation:

langer: kind of not so sweary word for your cock
    I was langered: I was drunk

sv

The drink translation one I was thinking of. Thought wanger was the other one?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Ireland, help please.’ is closed to new replies.