Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Iphone time problems?
  • swisstonyswiss
    Free Member

Anybody else having problems with their Iphone and the alarm time.

Phone says the proper time, but when you set an alarm it goes off an hour late as somewhere in the phone it still thinks its on British Summer Time

stumpy01

There was loads on the news about it, as tons of iPhone users who use it as their alarm ended up over sleeping when the clocks changed.

swisstonyswiss
    Free Member

Not been late for work but considering its supposed to be cutting edge technology you would have thought it could tell the time!

monkeychild
    Free Member

Yup had the same thing. Just delete the old alarms and create them again. That worked for me.

swavis

Mine also has this problem. I just set the alarm an hour early which solves the problem but does seem a bit daft.

Just delete the old alarms and create them again. That worked for me.

Tried that to no avail 😕

swisstonyswiss
    Free Member

Me to, deleted the alarms, reset them and still no good 🙁

duntstick
    Free Member

Software update due tomorrow………….

ftr1873
    Free Member

Turn automatic time update off, delete all alarms then recreate them. Apparently the clock and alarms use some different way to tell the time 😕

GrahamS

Yep, the recurring alarms are an hour off (even if you delete and recreate them) – just use non-recurring alarms (which work fine) till the patch comes out.

muggomagic

My recurring alarms have been working since I deleted and saved them again.
    Was bloody annoying though as I did get up an hour late monday. Usually the kids are up long before 7am not that day though.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Glad i wasnt in work mon morn or there woul have been some issues!

zokes
    Free Member

There’s an app for that…

GrahamS

Actually you’re right zokes – the various third-party alarm clock apps will work fine. 😀

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Yep, mines still not working right, tried all the stuff listed above. Just had to set it an hour earlier. I doubted myself for the first couple of days thinking “Na it must be me switching it off half asleep”

BoardinBob

Been working perfectly for me on my 3GS since the clocks changed

GrahamS

Been working perfectly for me on my 3GS since the clocks changed

May have been okay if:

• you’re not on iOS4.1
    • you had recurring alarms turned off during the BST->GMT changeover
    • you have “Set Automatically” turned of in your Data & Time settings.

Apple have officially acknowledged the issue, will be fixed in iOS4.2 supposedly.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/04/iphone_time_zones/

iolo
    Free Member

I have the same problem.
    I had a 3g that I loved. It died when I got caught in torrential rain on a run. As I have loads of apps decided to get an iphone 4 as an upgrade.
    Worst mistake ever. Overpriced beta version that needs a bumper to get a signal. Even with on the signal’s much poorer than my previous iphone.It also crashes constantly – it has been back to apple twice!
    Do yourselves a favour if thinking of getting one – wait 12 months and hope apple get their act together. In hind-site the disastrous launch where it all went wrong is typical of this garbage. I should have got a 3GS.

GrahamS

@iolo: you’re so wrong.

My 4 is light years ahead of the 3GS it replaced.
    Better signal, better screen, better battery, better camera, better GPS.
    Don’t think it has ever crashed and I use it a LOT so I’d notice!

(and incidentally, irrelevant to this post since 3GS’s are also effected by the time bug)

CountZero

Iolo, I know and work with four other people with iPhone 4’s, and none of them have issues. There are millions of them out there, it’s inevitable, and obvious to anyone with an ounce of common sense that occasionally there will be problems. You happen to have one with an issue. Regarding using a bumper or case, well, it’s a bloody expensive piece of equipment and I want to keep it in top condition and protect it so a case of some sort is put on from the start. Any antenna issues affect Americans far more than it ever has anywhere else because they have only one network carrying all the data traffic in large congested cities. Call dropping has affected iPhones on AT&T practically from the beginning, and it’s got worse with more and more smartphones joining those networks. And the calendar issue?

“Y2K this is not. There are no worries that planes will fall from the sky. Yet when Europeans turned their clocks back during the wee hours Monday in accordance with the end of daylight-saving time, iPhones hiccuped,” Adam Satariano reports for Bloomberg Businessweek.

“The phone’s primary clock, which is synced with a server somewhere in the cloud, recorded the time change just fine. So-called recurrent alarms, those set by users to sound at the same time on given days, did not,” Satariano reports. “Those who relied on their phones to wake them at, say, 6:45 every weekday ended up snoozing until 7:45.”

“The software bug has its roots in the Congress. In 2005, legislators amended the Uniform Time Act to extend daylight-saving time, starting in 2007. The change, intended to prolong the number of daylight hours and thus conserve energy, means Americans move their clocks back a week later than Europeans do. The recurrent alarm feature in the latest iPhone software didn’t account for the discrepancy,” Satariano reports. “After Sunday, when the United States ends its prolonged daylight-saving time, the clocks of the DST-observing world will be in sync again, and the problem should be moot. Until March, that is, when DST begins again.”

“Natalie Harrison, an Apple spokeswoman, says the company is aware of the issue. Harrison told CNN that iPhone users in the United States must also remember to delete and then reset their phone’s alarm clock – otherwise they may be an hour late for work on Monday morning,” Satariano reports. “The company says it will deliver a fix along with a scheduled software update this month.”

iolo
    Free Member

You can believe whatever you want regarding signal loss but believe me, in it’s current guise the iphone 4 is awful on 02. I’m not an apple hater as I loved my 3G.
    It drops the signal continuously for my home in snowdonia all the way down to west Berkshire.I had decent strength 3g signal with my old 3g, this pile of sh**e needs to be kept on the windowsill.
    It just annoys me as I pay significantly more per month for what I perceive to be a lesser quality phone. All the toys are nice but at the end of day it’s a piece of equipment for making and receiving calls and it really does not do that well.

uplink
    Free Member

You’re all lying – iphones are perfect, everyone knows that

CountZero

I’m on O2 and not noticed any significant signal loss where I am, (North Wilts) except for places where the signal is almost non-existent anyway. I’ve got the free Belkin clear case on mine, replacing it with an Element Extreme Metals alloy case, but that won’t make a significant difference. I’ve just popped the case off of mine as an experiment, holding the phone in portrait mode, and if I hold it by the sides I get full signal, but if I hold it with the base in the palm of my hand, the ‘death grip’ it drops down by one, sometimes two bars with the case on, something noted on other phones. The same happens with the case off. The mast is about 100′ away, and I get significant signal fluctuations even if I’m not holding the phone. At the moment I’m holding it by the top and bottom of the frame, between finger and thumb, and getting 100% signal, tried cupping my hand around the base without touching the actual metal and it dropped one bar.
    The signal is varying slightly anyway, so I can’t draw any significant conclusions from what I’ve just tried, other than there’s no real noticable changes taking place.

cranberry
    Free Member

There seem to be a refreshing shortage of iTards on this thread spouting the “get an apple” corporate line.

If anyone needs waking up on Monday morning, I can set the alarm on my Win CE phone *and* give you a call.

GrahamS

You can believe whatever you want regarding signal loss but believe me, in it’s current guise the iphone 4 is awful on 02. I’m not an apple hater as I loved my 3G.
    It drops the signal continuously for my home in snowdonia all the way down to west Berkshire.

Well I have my wife’s 3GS and my 4 in front of me. Both on O2.
    I have full five bars. She has three.

So “believe me” I have no problems with it. Neither does it crash.
    It is entirely possible you have a fecked one.

Jamie
    Free Member

There seem to be a refreshing shortage of iTards on this thread spouting the “get an apple” corporate line.

iTards? Corporate line?

*sigh*

sadmadalan

Perhaps this explains why my Window Mobile 6.5 work phone resets the time back to BST for the past week! If this is the case then it should be fixed this week. However given that Windows 7 is now out, there will not be a fix for 6.5! Oh well the fun to be had with Microsoft. (Personal phone is an android which has behaved perfectly!)

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Iphone time problems?’ is closed to new replies.