Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Ipad question
  • womble72
    Free Member

Howdy gang. I’m thinking of buying an Ipad and was wondering if any owners could tell me what the signal strength is like for using the internet when not connected to wifi.
    I have a workshop that has no phone line and my Iphone has too small a screen for using it for emailing, sending photos to customers etc Also the Iphone 3g is a bit hit n miss with connection. I do have a macbook pro that i could use with a dongle but I have no idea if dongles are worth the money.

Any help or guidance would be brilliant.

grum
    Free Member

Similar 3G reception to an iPhone IME.

t0mmm
    Free Member

Does iPhone have a modem function? You might be able to plug it into your laptop and use it for the net instead of a dongle.

momo

What Grum said. Signal strength will depend on which network you’re on rather than the device.

womble72
    Free Member

Thanks Grum, I guess its just a larger screen version of the iphone.

womble72
    Free Member

t0mmm, is there a way i can check this? My tech skills are poor 😀

seba560
    Free Member

Does iPhone have a modem function?

I think you’ll need to check the cost of doing this with your provider.
    Dongles and using the phone as a hotspot are fine, but dependant on the mobile signal strength. I feel the flexibility is worth it.

t0mmm
    Free Member

Google says you can use an iPhone for internet tethering, don’t have one myself but it will be in the settings somewhere.

grum
    Free Member

I use my iPhone to tether with an iPad. Dead easy. Check about charges with your network though.

zilog6128

IIRC the iPad uses the frame for the LCD screen as an antenna for mobile reception. Bigger antenna = better reception. Mine has been excellent for data (speed & signal) on 3 network.

billyblackheart
    Free Member

I also use personal hotspot for the iPad when out and about.

But it’s so rare not to find free wifi these days.

womble72
    Free Member

Thanks chaps. I shall go and have a look at what contracts are available. It makes sense that if the ipad has a better aerial than the iPhone, it will pickup signal better.

drlex
    Free Member

Buy a refurb. unit from Apple* and get a PAYG SIM from giffgaff or similar?

(*think I’d avoid classified ads at present…)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Ipad question’ is closed to new replies.