Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Invisiframe
  • jk1980
    Free Member

Has anyone gone for this? If so did you go for Matte or Gloss.

I’m keen to understand the difference between the two. Whilst I understand the difference between Matte and Gloss for paint(!) I’m curious how it would work for what must be some see through plastic.

It’s going on a Black GT Sanction. The guy is recommending Matte for my frame but I’m not sure why.

Cheers

Onzadog
    Free Member

I assume because your frame has a fairly matt finish. If you put glossy vinyl on it, it will stand out. However, the gloss should look less obvious on a glossy painted finish.

chakaping
    Free Member

I took his advice and it was spot on.

Think I have matte on my metallic green bike.

Crashed a few times and it has done a great job of protecting the paintwork.

ste1284
    Free Member

I had the same problem with my Meta V4. Didn’t know what finish to go for, they suggested a matte finish due to the finish of the actual frame. They were right, can hardly see it on the bike and keeps the original finish.

I would definitely go with what they suggest.

Cheers

moneytrain81
    Free Member

I just had a set made for me earlier this week as they didn’t have a premade kit. Glossy frame, glossy protection. Looks like it isn’t even on to be honest, ridiculously good job done.

roblane65
    Free Member

whats the average cost of kit ?

moneytrain81
    Free Member

If it is one they have available I think it is around £60 ish. But that could vary by size and difficulty of the design.

jk1980
    Free Member

Thanks everyone – think I will follow their advice then and go for the matte

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Listen to Mr Invisi (I was with him this morning)
    He knows his stuff & doesn’t want the kit to look crap-if he’s says Matte, go for Matte.

julzm
    Free Member

Matte for matte or satin bikes, gloss for shiny bikes.

Brilliant kits and I have one on every bike in this house. Just fitted a set tonight on OHs new bike.

It has gotten more expensive in recent weeks though.

Great thing is that if you damage a piece, you can order new bits in what you need. I had a rear triangle replaced under warranty for a month old bike and invisiframe supplied a new rear triangle kit for me which saved me having to buy a full kit again.

zelak999
    Free Member

How easy is it to put it on without any air bubbles etc?
    I’m very OCD about these things but not very patient!

moneytrain81
    Free Member

You can send your frame to them to apply it for you for a £20 fee. Though there is a good video on how to do it. Placement should be easier than normal as the pieces are custom shaped to fit.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I couldn’t bring myself to pay £72 for some stickers so i got a roll of the exact same stuff they use for invisiframe for a tenner and will happily spend an hr with scissors and hairdryer fitting it whenever my bloody new bike arrives!

jonnym92

If you have matte paint go matte, gloss go gloss. Simple.

I recently applied it to my new bike. Follow the instructions and make sure you’ve got all the gear before hand. Use plenty (and I mean plenty) of soapy water mixture.
    I admit I struggled to get it perfect in places, but you get the hang of it after applying a few strips.
    The strips are cut to suit the frame and is so worth it over buying a sheet of it and cutting yourself.

Also leave it 24hrs before riding.. I didn’t and some rain/muck got under the corners.

z1ppy

I was more than happy to pay to get it done properly by Lee, can’t recommend the kits (& fitting) enough, bloody brilliant! I had gloss I believe (bright orange frame), as recommended by Lee, but the same frame in black he recommended Matt

prezet
    Free Member

Yep, fitted this on my Covert. It’s saved the paintwork numerous times!

I also bought a few extra patches from them for my Fox forks in matte, and you can hardly see it’s there (either that, or it’s my old eyes).

prezet
    Free Member

I also fitted mine using the soapy water method rather than just slapping it straight onto the frame. This allows you time to reposition and get rid of air bubbles by squeezing out the excess water. It does take a little longer to apply as you have to wait for it to cure before moving onto the next bit.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

You can’t heat it to stretch round bends if using soapy water, is that right?

cruzcampo
    Free Member

“moneytrain81 – Member
    I just had a set made for me earlier this week as they didn’t have a premade kit. Glossy frame, glossy protection. Looks like it isn’t even on to be honest, ridiculously good job done.

POSTED 12 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST”

They said they don’t make custom ones anymore on an email I sent last week, did you take the bike to them in person?

moneytrain81
    Free Member

cruzcampo – I did. He did say that to me when I was there, as I asked for a friend as well who has a Scalpel that may need protecting. Basically I got lucky. From what he said to me, I thought it might be a temporary stop on custom jobs, but maybe I just assumed the best. So if anyone needs a Mondraker Vantage RR in size small protecting, he now has the templates.

And as for the ‘I bought £10 roll online’ stuff, I’ve done that before too, and it is absolutely not the exact same stuff Invisiframe use and will be visible clearly on all edges basically.

downhilldave

glasgowdan, you don’t need to heat it or stretch it.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Thanks moneytrain, where abouts is he based?

ps. i’ve also used helitape too for cable rub areas, and even for such a small area it was awful, peeled at edges, yellowed, and on my older bike took some paint off 🙁

I use the lizard skin patches now for cable rub areas which are brilliant, but quite interested in this invisiframe.

When I sold my black anodized Heckler it looked like new 3 years on due to the finish, but the new Blur with powdercoat isn’t faring so well.

jk1980
    Free Member

He’s based in Shrewsbury apparently

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Invisiframe’ is closed to new replies.