Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Inverness to Thurso: Anyone done this route? (touring content)
  • marmaduke
    Free Member

https://goo.gl/maps/f8AwS Looks pretty safe, anyone tried it? I normally use Warmshowers but there seems to be no one up north so hopefully some lovely camping.

scotroutes

It’s all good. Some suggestions though…

If you’re not determined to go to Tain then consider the high road between Alness and Bonar Bridge.

The Loch Shin road isn’t as scenic as the Oykel Bridge alternative slightly further south.

Detour into Kinlochbervie and then ride out to Sandwood Bay.

If you haven’t booked a train back from Thurso then do so asap. If you can’t get a booking then consider riding to John o’Groats and get http://www.tickettoridehighlands.co.uk/ to pick you up.

CraigW
    Free Member

Yes, I’ve done most of those roads, they are nice.
    If you want to go via Tain, head up the Black Isle on minor roads, then get the Cromarty ferry, its fun.
    Or as scotroutes says, go over the Struie road, north of Alness.

There is a footbridge at Invershin, but it has a steep flight of stairs. So maybe tricky if with a loaded bike, easier just to cross at Bonar Bridge.

Up past Lairg, it is all very nice quiet scenic roads. The road along the north coast from Durness, Tongue, Bettyhill is rather twisty and undulating, so can be surprisingly slow going.

epicyclo

I’d recommend going via the Struie as well. Lovely ride, not much traffic and some brilliant views on way down.

fasthaggis

Yup,Cromarty is a good shout ,and if you check the tide times you could see the dolphins on your way past Fortrose/Chanonry point 🙂

bajsyckel

Again, I’d go for the Struie, and prefer either the Oykel brige road in riding and scenery terms (and west coast detour options). Also, as mentioned above, north coast is often underrated – hilly roads, good beaches, views, interesting history and detours etc… – so leave enough time to enjoy it.

If you can’t get booked on a train back the ride down from the North coast is good too. My favourite route is from Bettyhill (or Tongue but that’s a bit too much detouring) up Strathnaver to Altnaharra, call in at the Crask Inn and then down to Lairg and from there either over the Struie or using the ferry as described above.

Pickers

Cromarty is lovely, went there in May on tour. The ferry is seasonal though so make sure it’s operating if do go that way. It wasn’t when I was there.

marmaduke
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice, I’ve changed the route. Booking tickets tomorrow so hopefully some bike spaces left on the train.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Inverness to Thurso: Anyone done this route? (touring content)’ is closed to new replies.