Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Intermittent Fasting – anyone tried it?
  • cruzcampo
    Free Member

Have a watch

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvdbtt_eat-fast-live-longer-hd_shortfilms

Michael Mosley lowered his cholesterol, blood pressure and IGF-1 levels (insulin like growth factor 1, linked to cancer & longevitiy – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin-like_growth_factor_1 ),and even witnessed DNA repair etc from just 2 days fasting, 5 days normal eating a week.

I’ve dropped from 14.5 stone 18% bodyfat to 12.4 stone 13% bodyfat in around 6 months. My diet hasn’t changed, but when I eat my food has.

I now skip breakfast (black coffee on waking) drink water all morning, then break the fast with lunch at 1pm. I then eat as normal throughout the day, and even consume my missed breakfast porridge when I get back from work, i’ll have my last meal a bit earlier at 9pm. Then no food till 1pm the next day.

16 hour fast, 8 hour feed. As opposed to my old routine of breakfast at 7am, supper at 12pm and food all day 17 hour eating window LOL!

6-8 small meals a day, constantly grazing/snacking, gives your body all day energy supply from recently ingested food, and little chance to dig into the “use fat for energy mode” along with repair mode.

Anyone else tried it with good results?

scotroutes

I do it several times a day.

Drac

Yup it’s called being at work.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

I’m doing it.

Been doing it about 2 months. Working really well for me. I’ve lost a notch on my belt, am getting into shirts I couldn’t for the last 5 years, and feel greater mobility through all my joints when say riding my motorbike. And despite not getting out on the mountainbike as much as previous years, I’ve powered up hills I huffed and puffed up, passing cyclists, rather than them passing me.

I have specifically not weighed myself at the start, it’s not the point, I’m not just “trying to make myself slimmer” or “lose pounds”, so I dont want weeks where the hardship leads to zero loss.

I just feel better for it, and inside 6w people were saying they cansee a difference, people guessing I might have lost up to a stone, and guess what! I’m still smashing the pizza at the weekends!

theotherjonv

Yep. Since January, have lost 4-6″ waist size, and just over 3 stone. Now in the upper reaches of 12 stone something instead of almost 16.

I’m a fan, but someone will be along soon to tell me its a fad and won’t work.

Must go, curry is ready on the hob.

Cougar

Sounds like your old routine of “food all day” is what’s actually changed; it’s not the fasting, it’s the not continually ramming food in your piehole that’s caused the weight loss.

IANADietitian (though meet all the requirements for a Nutritionist).

I’m a fan, but someone will be along soon to tell me its a fad and won’t work.

That was certainly what happened last month.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/52-fast-diet-what-am-i-doing-wrong

sadexpunk

whole looooooad of info out there and a lot of people doing this now. i did it to limit cals when i was cutting bodyfat, i dont bother so much now cos im upping cals, but yes, it works a treat. main advantage for me was convenience of meal timing. id never have done it before as id have thought it unhealthy, but yes, once it started getting the thumbs up for health benefits i was more than happy.

if you got a spare few hours (days :-)) have a look at leangains

granny_ring

Yes as on that other thread, it’s working for me at the mo.
    9 weeks in and lost just over a stone. Happy to keep with it and if I can lose another 10lbs or so then it’s target achieved.
    Then watch me stop and put it all back on, joking!
    I’ll see if the 1 day a week fasting will be enough to keep the weight off or not.

drummer
    Free Member

…sorry ..misread the title …

thewanderer
    Free Member

I’ve had a flick through the leangains site and I have a couple of questions about this.

1. Are these successes just a result of becoming more aware of the food that you are consuming and therefore reducing calories?

2. What happens if you go on a sustained early morning ride? Wouldn’t fasting and a long ride = bonk?

prawny

@the wanderer
    1.probably, but there is more potential for fat burning as well due to the lack of carbs

2. depends what you mean by long, I’ll do anything up to about an hour and a half comfortably. Over that and I have suffered. Also I’m not going to try and blag that I’m as quick without a bit of food inside me.

I’ve been on and off the leangains method for a bit (year or so) but more off than on recently as I’ve got down to a healthy weight and I’m lacking motivation.

Normally I eat at about 7 o’clock in the evening, then nothing until 12 the following day. Today I thought I’d have breakfast as a treat, was starving by 10:30 had my lunch at 11 and another unplanned snack at 2.

Breakfast ruins me.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

I will be starting this in support of MrsCat who has been ordered to lose 4st and get fit or cark it (I believe that’s the correct term) her BP has been recorded a number of times at around 140/120 which scared the poop out of me, and in small way, her too!

There does seem a lot more logic and success with this method than many of the others so I will report back on how it effects me once we start on Sept 01 2013.

One good thing is that the days of fasting can be flexible which means I can eat to suit work/sport and still wobble less at the beach – Hzah! 😀

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Bump..

A new article from the beeb…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25549805

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25498742

I’m still fasting on the 16/8 fast/feed window. Lowest and leanest weight i’ve been since a teen. Cholesterol has gone down again, blood pressure again improved.

Anyone else still doing it/planning to?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve been fasting from about 6pm in the evening to about lunchtime the next day, so basically cutting out evening snacking and breakfast. I have a few cups of tea and a mid morning milky coffee to get me through to lunchtime, and to be honest it’s been fine. I’ve rarely felt starving, just start to get peckish around 10am, but the milky coffee gets me through to lunch. I usually do spin, circuits or abs blast during my lunch break so don’t usually eat till 1pm. I have a normal lunch and a pretty good but early tea once I get home from work.

I’ve lost about 3 kgs (though put some on over Xmas) and still losing weight.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Not tried the Intermittent fast, but I’ve done a couple of four-day fasts with just water. I don’t do it for weight loss, more as a reboot, to give my system a break.

There’s definitely something in it.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

” I’ve rarely felt starving, just start to get peckish around 10am, but the milky coffee gets me through to lunch. I usually do spin, circuits or abs blast during my lunch break so don’t usually eat till 1pm. I have a normal lunch and a pretty good but early tea once I get home from work.”

try and switch the milky coffee for a black coffee, keeps you in the fasted state then and keeps the IGF-1 hormone in check.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Intermittent Fasting – anyone tried it?’ is closed to new replies.