Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Insuring a courier delivery of a bike, should I need to if paid by credit card?
  • mark_rich
    Free Member

Getting a bike collected by courier from Germany, insurance to 3k could be £60ish on top of courier cost!
    Do I need to do it if I’ve paid for it by credit card?
    The bike was delivered to friends house and I’m arranging courier to collect so effectively I have not yet received the goods?
    I’m thinking of paying the £60 for peace of mind but do I really need too?

drovercycles
    Free Member

Yes, you need to.

Assuming you asked for it to be delivered to the address where it now is, the supplier will have proof of delivery there. They’ve done their bit.

What you now do with it is up to you, and your responsibility. But I think you knew that.

mark_rich
    Free Member

I know supplier isn’t liable but credit card company should be as I have not personally received the goods.

andermt
    Free Member

Legally you have recieved the goods as you had them sent to your friends address.
    That was the delivery address you put on the order and as far as the supplier and CC company are concerned they have full filled that obligation. Anything that happens afterwards is down to you.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Why would the credit card company be liable for something that you’ve bought which has been delivered to the delivery address as you requested?
    The bike has been supplied and delivered as you asked therefore it’s no longer their problem.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Is that the test or is it whether delivery has occurred?

tthew

If you can afford a £3k bike, surely an extra 60 quid is really not a big financial problem for you?

It’s like buying a supercar, then worrying the price of petrol has gone back up to £1.30.

njee20
    Free Member

Bike has been delivered. Seller, courier and CC company duty done. How on earth can you conceive this any other way? 😕

Not their problem you’ve done something weird with friend’s addresses.

mark_rich
    Free Member

Initially was going to pay by tesco cc and bike was coming back with a friend on a flight, however it now needs to come by courier.
    I’ve used a different credit card now but I rang tesco credit cards to start with and explained the plan, advisor told me it is covered until I personally receive it so if it went missing or got damaged on the flight it was covered, I wasn’t 100% convinced on this, hence why I ask, I’m still not convinced either way but will insure it for peace of mind.

drovercycles
    Free Member

CC company is jointly liable with the supplier to ensure you get the goods. That has been done. If someone at the card company is advising otherwise, I’d want it in writing and I’d bet they’d not be willing to give you that. Also redundant if you’ve used a different card company anyway.

Some credit cards (don’t know if Tesco is one of these) give additional “purchase protection insurance” or similar, which covers you if something you’ve bought using their card is lost/damaged/stolen within 30/60/90/whatever days of you buying it. Could that be what is being referred to in this instance? If that’s the case, it might be pretty handy for this sort of thing, but again I’d want to be reading the small print to make sure I was covered.

I think paying the £60 to insure with your courier is the best option, and what I’d do. Whether you should have to pay them extra to insure against them failing to do their job properly, is a whole different discussion…

bails

I’e used a different credit card now but I rang tesco credit cards to start with and explained the plan, advisor told me it is covered until I personally receive it so if it went missing or got damaged on the flight it was covered

I sorted out home insurance recently and three different, reputable, companies (MoreThan, John Lewis and Axa I think) all gave me contradictory answers over the phone when asking a tricky question. I phoned each one twice, and got a “yes” and a “no” from each one. With each answer being checked with a supervisor, even when it was the opposite of the previous “checked with a supervisor” answer that the same company had given me. I ended up emailing rather than phoning so if anything happens and I need to claim I’ve got written confirmation from them that I’m covered.

You’ll probably not need the insurance, but it might be worth getting a written/emailed confirmation first rather than relying on them taking your word (“but I spoke to Dave on the phone and he said I was covered”) over their policy that someone in a call centre has misinterpreted.

mark_rich
    Free Member

Thanks drover cycles and bails for the useful replies, unlike some others that are ready to shoot me down in flames for the fun of it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Only rule is get it in writing, nothing else will cover you really and just end in an argument. M&S on the phone told us that we were covered for all out stuff during a 7 month trip to Aus so long as we maintained the house insurance. When we phoned up to clarify turned out it wasn’t but as they had told us and the call was recorded the honoured it (and confirmed in writing)

Personally I’d pay the £60 presumably out of the cash you saved on the Euro exchange rate change.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Insuring a courier delivery of a bike, should I need to if paid by credit card?’ is closed to new replies.