• This topic has 58 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Nick.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Insulated travel mugs that actually keep things hot?
  • ac505
    Free Member

Looking for a half decent travel mug. Currently have a thermocafe one which is decidedly average. Any suggestions that don’t cost too much? Ta.

project
    Free Member

warm it up fiorst by filling it with hot water leave for a few minutres and refill with TEA.

nealglover
    Free Member

My Stanley one is pretty good. Last an hour or so on the way to wok.

Certainly helps to warm it up first though. Boiling Water from the kettle in it with the lid on for 10 mins before making a brew.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chojin
    Free Member

Bodum do an excellent mug. Pricey though!

http://m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/bodum-travel-mug-0-35l/p183775

*edit* I use mine every day, one of the best things I’ve ever bought 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

You may not like the coffee but whoever makes travel mugs for Starbucks does a great job. The metal ones, not so much the plastic. I have a cup holder on my bike and my coffee can still be acceptably warm when I reach the station after making it at home.

nealglover
    Free Member

Zojirushi make the best I’ve used. I used to have one but I lost it !!

Like a cross between a flask and a mug, you can keep it in your bag without spilling, but the lid flips so you can drink from it like a mug. And last around 2 hours at a decent temp if warmed first.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve got a Thermos one that def works. Just look for a vacuum one – foam insulated ones leak heat

VanMan
    Free Member

Agree with chojin the Bodum one is good, better if it is on special/sale though.

They used to make a coffee press attachment which was probably more a gimmick

stumpy01

I’ve got a Contigo one and it’s almost too good. Drinks are kept hot for a good hour or two.
    If I take it into the garage when working on the bikes, I often end up taking the lid off to cool it quicker.

trail_rat
    Free Member

No vanman. – i travel alot – bodum press and a bag of coffee are first things into the bag. They are ace – and really keep the coffee warm !

jes
    Free Member

+1 Contigo

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have a LifeVenture one that seems very good so far.

Oh, and agree re heating it up before filling.

Nonsense
    Free Member

+2 Contigo

Look nice as well

househusband
    Free Member

I’ve had a few and happily settled on a wide mouth Klean Kanteen insulated bottle with Wide Café Cap.

nickswolves
    Free Member

I can heartily recommend the Starbucks stainless steel travel mug – keeps a coffee warm for ages. So much so I have to let the coffee cool a bit before I put the lid on or I don’t have time to drink it before I get to work – and that’s an hour away!

fasthaggis

Got a Contigo as a Xmas pressie,works very well ,but almost too hot to sip from early on,so I end up pouring it into a mug at work.
    Mrs H has a Bodum,also very good but she thinks the plunger/press thing is a bit of a faff.

schmiken

http://www.lifeventure.co.uk/products/cookware/thermal-mugs.html

Used by the military for good reasons. Keeps tea boiling hot for at least an hour and a half.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Also got a Lifeventure one, cost eight quid or so from the outdoor shop in Betswy. Filled it at half five Mon morning, drove to Lincoln, did a site visit and drunk a nice hot brew at half one in the afternoon 😆

fasthaggis

Those Lifeventure ones look good.

When does a mug become a flask? 😉

craigxxl
    Free Member

Life venture too. Keeps contents very warm and actually fits in cup holders.

CountZero

Good thread this, I’ve been thinking about getting a decent insulated travel mug, and I’d seen the Lifeventure ones in Itchy Feet in Bath, but it seems I can get one in town, so I’ll be checking them out on Saturday. They look really good, thanks for the tip! 😀

Kuco

I ordered one of the Bodum cups with the coffee press yesterday for work though I only paid £20 inc delivery.

nealglover
    Free Member

When does a mug become a flask?

When you need to completely remove a lid to drink from it.

CountZero

That’s odd, I posted up a thank you for this thread earlier, in particular concerning the Lifeventure mugs, and my post seems to have vanished! How peculiar. 😕

singlespeedstu

The Bodum travel mug’s are on special offer at Curry for £10.
    Just ordered one myself.

PePPeR

Morrisons have an awesome little flask/mug for travelling, its fully sealed keeps drinks warm and has a great lip for drinking out of, normally £4.00, they had them on offer for £3.00 last week. Best mug I’ve ever used.

Best £4.00 on a mug I’ve ever spent.

It even fits in my mug holder in my van!

PePPeR

Here’s a link that I got the original idea from Stoner was the person who put us onto them.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/travel-mugs

singlespeedstu

Do the Bodum mugs fit in a standard car cup holder?

spudly1979
    Free Member

Homesense and tk maxx have the bodum ones for a tenner too, just picked one up myself.

molgrips
    Free Member

Top tip for mugs – make sure the inside is metal as well as the outside, and the metal is one piece over the lip. If there are two pieces fitting together at the lip (as with most cheap ones) then coffee gunge gets trapped in the crack.

scotroutes

And there’s nothing worse than getting gunge trapped in your crack…

chojin
    Free Member

Singlespeedstu: Every car is different, but the Bodum fits in my T5 and in the missus’ Skoda Rapid.

*edit* I can confirm they also fit into BMW cup holders!

singlespeedstu

Sounds like it’ll fit in an Octavia then.

chojin
    Free Member

Width wise I’m sure it will. Height wise, if you have stupidly placed holders that sit in the cubbyhole under the stereo you might struggle.

singlespeedstu

No height restriction sits in the center console.

mr_average
    Free Member

Do any of them fit a bike bottle cage? Mrs Average would like to cycle to the station with hot tea.

IanW
    Free Member

Those life adventure ones linked on the previous page are the DB’s maybe not for driverists but everyone else yes.

molgrips
    Free Member

Do any of them fit a bike bottle cage? Mrs Average would like to cycle to the station with hot tea.

I’ve been through this research process. Generally no they do not. I have a ‘short’ sized (8 fl oz) one from Starbucks that fits into a Specialized plastic bottle cage, but that’s not a big enough drink to last a long train journey. And that particular cup was plastic and not that good.. and it broke…

There’s a Trek bottle cage and cup combo that fits on the Soho bike – they apparently have been available separately but possibly not any more as nowhere had stock when I checked. The cup’s not that great either, I think it’s plastic insides.

So I ended up with the PDW Bar-ista and after a long search I found a conical Starbucks cup in a shop that fits in it perfectly. They haven’t got the cups on their website currently but I reckon this would fit.

IHN

This:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BESTEK-Stainless-Insulated-container-BTVT550/dp/B00AX0Y7OW

Used daily, rattles around in a bag without a leak, coffee is still PIPING hot over an hour after filling (to the point where I have to put some cold water in now too, so I can actually drink it)

IHN

Oh, and I reckon it would go in a bottle cage (can’t say for definite though)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Insulated travel mugs that actually keep things hot?’ is closed to new replies.