Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • travel mugs
  • Ambrose

I’m looking for a decent travel mug. I already have a couple but their bodies seem to fill with water when being (dish)washed. I’d like it to keep the coffee warm for approx. 30 mins or so. It also needs to fit into the normal sized cup/can holder in my BerlingoBongo.

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive owned loads over the years, and theyve all been rubbish except for my current one.
    But I cant find a link to it.

I got it from Morrisons, it has a flip top, with a lid lock, keeps drinks hot for absolutely ages (have to drive around with the flip top open to cool it down FFS!)… I shall keep searching for one online for you….

Ambrose

Cheers mate 🙂

maccruiskeen

I got a Thermos branded one from Sainsburys quite cheaply. Stainless inner rather than plastic. Maybe not as insulated as the plastic ones but for me the plastic used in these kinds of mugs really taints hot drinks. Theres always a pretty broad range of decent quality travel mugs in branches of TK Maxx

PePPeR

I’m the same as maccruiskeen, I have to have a travel mug with stainless interior and i never put them in the dishwasher as it taints them badly. (I seem to have a thing against dishwashers)

Ambrose

I hadn’t thought of TK Maxx- ta.

fingerbike
    Free Member

Had the same issues. Now on a keepcup. Brilliant, very happy with it, keeps drink hot for a decent amount of time, can completely dismantle to clean properly and fits under coffee machines so they don’t end up using a paper cup first to transfer your drink.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[prepares to be flamed]Starbucks[let the flaming begin] not the cheapest but the 2 I have had from there have outlasted everything else. Good for 30-40mins

brokensoul
    Free Member

I’ve got a Stanley mug. It does everything you want, except I can’t see it fitting in a Citroën cup holder.

Ambrose

Sorry Brokensoul- you’re out 🙁

PS- how did you do the funky Citroen ‘o’ with an ” above it. I like it.

CountZero

I’ve got a Stanley mug, given to me by friends as a Chrissy pressy years ago, started using it at my current job when mugs of tea went cold after ten minutes, and it’s still going strong nine years later. Generally reckon on it still being drinkable over an hour later, maximum an hour and a half.
    Probably won’t fit car mug holders, though.

CountZero

Ambrose, you mean like this; Citrôen. I just tap and hold the o on my keypad and I get a bunch of options, like;
    Õø?œòôöó.
    Easy peasy! 😉

Ambrose

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo is all I get 🙁

brokensoul
    Free Member

I typed Citr into my phone and it gave me the option.
    Ö. CountZero’s method works too.

andytherocketeer

except the dots are on the e not the o, so here’s one to cut+paste: ë

can’t help with travel mug though, but i’m in the market for one

sweepy
    Free Member

The cup holders on my berlingo only fit coke cans and thin mugs. I use a lifeventure steel one and put it on the top of the dash. The foam on the base keeps it steady as long as you dont drive like a ****.
    Great for tea, shite for espresso, how are those keepcups for affecting taste, and what size for a double shot? And do they fit a cup holder cos they look like they would topple on the dash.

trail_rat
    Free Member

cheap ones dont have a propper vacumn in them hence why they fill with water.

My bodum travel press keeps stuff warm for ages and has a sealing lid – like scalding hot for hours as long as the lids shut. – doesnt fit in the berlingo cup holders though. Plus side is it is all metal and doesnt flavor what you put in it (once its all coated in coffee oils 😉 – only chuck it in the dish washer once a month or so rest of time it just gets a quick rinse in hot water .

thermos also has a propper vacumn and keeps stuff hot for ages + has a propper sealing lid and fits in the cup holders.

given up on the cheap ones – they also taste of chemicals.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Starbucks stainless steel here. Good for an hour at least

Stoner
    Free Member

unicode 00EB

ë

Latin Small Letter E with diaeresis

On my chromebook it’s: Ctrl+Shift+U 00EB Enter

That is all I have to add….

maccruiskeen

Further to the Stanley recommendations…. and TK Maxx. A lot of stanley stuff crops up in TK Maxx.

It is your destiny

Stoner
    Free Member

still cant find another retailer of the one I use. definitely got it from morrisons, still has sticker on the bottom, but no other identifying marks.

bruneep
    aphex_2k
    Free Member

I use one called Contigo. Pretty decent and has a button on it so you can’t accidentally spill it.

Ambrose

Chëërs folks. TK Maxx in Carmarthën it is thën, looking for an ëx-Morrisons Bodum coffëë cup. Lifë is complicatëd!

Stoner
    Free Member

I bët that took you agës to typë!

Ambrose

Result. It turned out that there is a TK Maxx in Llanelli. I am now ten pound poorer, but the proud new owner of a nice thermos mug and a dog grooming glove.

TK Maxx- what an odd place.

maccruiskeen
    footflaps

I was thinking of filling the void in the thermal mugs with expanding foam so it can’t fill up with water every time I wash them…..

Stoner
    Free Member

then you’ll just create a lovely dark damp matrix for the growth of your own super-lurgee!

Go for it!

andybanks
    Free Member

Every travel mug I’ve had says “Not suitable for dishwashers”.

I think that’s where your problem lies. Don’t dishwash it and it will last a good while longer.

footflaps

then you’ll just create a lovely dark damp matrix for the growth of your own super-lurgee!

As it’s closed cell stuff and forms a skin, I’d have thought it would be OK. I’ll have to experiment and report back….

Stoner
    Free Member

it’s rarely truly closed cell.

A friend, boat designer/builder, comes across closed cell injected buoyancy voids in craft that are saturated. WHen they weighed a hull recently they found that the craft was something like 100% over-weight (too many pies). There’s been a number of cases of lifecraft breaking their winch cables and straps and falling off their mother-ships because of saturated closed cell buoyancy material.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d have voted for the Starbucks one too. The metal one, that is. The cup part is one piece welded steel with a vacuum in it. No joins, so no way for water to get in.

spooky_b329

After being shocked by the price of the Bodium mugs, I bought one of the ceramic Sagaform mugs with silicone lid styled like a disposable cup.

Double walled so it stays cool, insulate, silicone bung keeps the water out and you can microwave it if you want to heat milk for a coffee.

You just need to get through the first few days while the over powering rubber smell fades from the lid!

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

thought this was going to be a thread about people who booked Ryan Air…

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘travel mugs’ is closed to new replies.