• This topic has 27 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by boblo.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Indicators
  • sargey

Have you noticed how many cars have faulty indicators because it can’t be the driver of the car not using them can it.
    On the way to work this morning it’s seems worse than ever.
    I’ll just use the force then seeing as you can’t be arsed to move a little lever up and down.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Odd, I was chatting to the wife the other day commenting on the fact that more people recently have been using indicators.

So we played a game, she counted those that did, I counted those that didn’t. Simple 35min journey, mix of small lane, A road, motorway, A road, B road..

She counted 16, I counted 6…

bentandbroken

When I was sorting out the specification for my German Executive Wagon I had to choose between the bling wheels or the indicators. I could not afford to tick both options. Obviously the blingy wheels are more important, the neighbours would never see me using indicators anyway….

DezB
    Free Member

She counted 16, I counted 6…

Still, she should’ve won 16-0 really eh? Were there any roundabouts?

bodgy
    Free Member

22 – 0, technically.

funkmasterp

The no indicator brigade are only beaten by the start manoeuvre and then indicate brigade in my eyes.

stevious

My favourite is phenolphthalein

DezB
    Free Member

bodgy –
    22 – 0, technically

true! 😳

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Incredible amount of folk with no lights on this morning. Lots of cars that have front lights but no rear lights on, I’m assuming DRL’s? Citroen DS3 very common offenders, I take it that the dash is lit so the driver thinks they have lights on.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Both infringements are bloody annoying, lack of indicating and no lights..

No real mitigating factors other than the early nights are drawing in and folks still think there’s enough light to get home without putting lights on..

I’ll count again today if it’s not too busy.. f’o the pedants amongst us, and to get another set for the spreadsheet.

Kahurangi

DRL’s

It’s mind boggling why someone would need front DRLs and not rear.

If you want to win the indicator/no indicator game, just sit by a roundabout. Nearly no one knows how to go round a roundabout properly.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I like those folk driving around with their front fogs on and a headlight out. The amount of people who obviously don’t check their lights amazes me. I followed a Ford Focus the other day with one of 3 brake lights working.

Yak

It’s mind boggling why someone would need front DRLs and not rear

Presumably it’s because most modern cars just have an auto light setting. The DRLs are only on the front and the modern driver has lost the ability to think about light conditions and relies on the auto setting to get it right. It needs to be surprisingly dark for some cars to switch from DRLs to headlights with the accompanying rear lights.

northshoreniall

I love the ones who indicate off the roundabout two exits early so you thing they’re leaving one before you/ yours, then you start to move then realise they are coming past you to the next exit! Seems to be getting more prevalent.
    Love that game, not.

boblo
    Free Member

@yak part of the problem is you can’t always tell if you’re on DRL or proper lights from inside. On my cars, there is no indication (see what I did there…?) of which setting you’re in so you bimble along in whatever ‘auto’ decides. Lame I know but that’s what auto does to you, it steals your brain…

johndoh
    Free Member

I love the ones who indicate off the roundabout two exits early so you thing they’re leaving one before you/ yours, then you start to move then realise they are coming past you to the next exit! Seems to be getting more prevalent.

Yep – get that particular one loads on the roundabout near to my house. When it happens and I pull out in front of them I just pull away nice and slowly and watch their ire rising.

GrahamS

I find it best not to indicate. Keeps people on their toes.

Same reason I often shift down two gears so that I can rapidly engine brake without my brake lights giving the game away. Sure it ruins the gearbox, but if it saves one life then it’s worth it.

Speshpaul

Have you noticed the relationship between the dullness of the car colour and last of lights is poor visibility?
    Bright Yellow car = lights on
    dull grey/white/silver car = lights off.

Telford, islands and indicators, I like to execute perfect lane and indicator use when driving through Telford (with my doors locked)
    Just to confuse the locals.

Yak

Lame I know but that’s what auto does to you, it steals your brain…

Same for a lot of features in modern cars. My wife’s has hill-start assist, auto lights, auto wipers, auto-not-crash-into-things-if-under-30mph, etc.
    It’s all a crock of shit. Except the last that might save an accident if you pass out whilst driving in a built up area.

redthunder
    Free Member

And cutting blind corners off.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Oi Shirley if someone is indicating to turn off the roundabout you should let them do just that, and not disrupt thier progress by pulling out in front of them.. Shirley.

I’m not keen on the forced exit’ers.. those that creep forward either out of junctions or side roads.. cm x cm expecting to be given way to.. don’t mind it in town where it’s chockka blockka but in the sticks it’s dumb.

johndoh
    Free Member

if someone is indicating to turn off the roundabout you should let them do just that, and not disrupt thier progress by pulling out in front of them..

If they are indicating to turn left into the junction I am pulling out of then tough on them. I’ll learn ’em. One by one I’ll learn ’em.

johndoh
    Free Member

Had one yesterday – I was driving along a residential road with cars parked on my right (ie, partially blocking the other carriageway). Someone was waiting to pull out of their drive in front of me on my left as I approached the parked cars. As I got closer she suddenly decides it’s a great time to pull out into the road and directly in front of me (as she couldn’t use her side of the road as it was blocked by the cars). She then proceeded to yell and shout at me for blocking her (although it was her that pulled into a space that gave her no exit route).

I smiled and sat there – I wasn’t in a rush to be anywhere. A few minutes later (when I think she finally twigged that she was in the wrong) she reversed back and let me continue on my way.

northshoreniall

Bikebouy, if they were only indicating to go out at the appropriate junction great – its the ones who indicate for the 2 preceding where they actually intend leaving that confuse me.
    I am coming on to the roundabout as they are indicating to leave prior to reaching me – oh wait no they mean the exit 3 after where they are indicating. Agree with you aobut the ones who hope you dont notice them coming out in front of you if they drive slowly and avoid eye contact, naughty.

qwerty
    Free Member

I keep meaning to take my car to the garage, mine only seem to work intermittently…

LS
    Free Member

My favourite is phenolphthalein

😆

Pieface

I put my lights on all the time, if the sun’s behind you it helps people see and doesn’t cost anything.

As a cyclist assume everyone will do the unexpected, also consider road position.

TBH a lot of indicator’s on modern cars are barely visible even when used.

Most cars nowadays don’t need a visible check on the lights, a warning light comes up on the dash so its just laziness / inconsideration

boblo
    Free Member

Slight hijack onto the subject of ‘useless car tech’. Who has bendy lights for seeing around corners? Do you find them any use? I’ve just disabled mine as they seem to make no difference to anything…

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Indicators’ is closed to new replies.