Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Inbred slot dropouts and trailer hitches. Will I have probs?
  • barrytheflea
    Free Member

Hello chaps,

I’m building up an On-One Inbred 29er frame, the plan is to use it to tow my sprogs around (double child’s trailer suggestions welcome).

The frame I have has slot/horizontal dropouts and the rear wheel uses a QR skewer. A chain tug is designed to stop the wheel sliding forward when the power is put down, but will I need something to stop backward movement caused by braking and the pull of the skewer hitch?

A good chain tug recommendation would also help, I would’ve gone with an On-One Tug, but reading threads on various forums from a few years ago they aren’t the best, might have improved though.

brant
    Free Member

The Inbred Slot Dropout arrangement is designed such that braking forces from the normal rear wheel act perpendicularly to the dropout slot, eliminating movement under braking (when braking with a normal bike arrangement).

You can/should use a tug on the driveside to stop you moving the rear wheel forward.

Singlespeed bikes with horizontal dropouts that use disc mounts on the seat stay almost always will cause the rear wheel to shift on the disc side, backwards, under braking.

For geared-only use, with a trailer, I’d not recommend the slot dropout frame.

twojumpers

You can’t beat the surly chain tug. About £20 though.

mmac
    Free Member

I tow mine using a 26″ slot dropout Inbred with QR rear wheel. I’ve used this setup for the last 3 or 4 years and can’t recall any wheel slippage. No problems with my On One chaintug either.

barrytheflea
    Free Member

Great, thanks for the quick replies and from the bloke that designed them as well!

mmac, thats using a skewer hitch rather than a chainstay one?

mmac
    Free Member

Yes, the trailer attachment is held in place by the QR.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Inbred slot dropouts and trailer hitches. Will I have probs?’ is closed to new replies.