• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • In a meeting
  • SaxonRider

I am sitting in an ALL DAY meeting, and feeling like a good sleep. Oh my goodness, I didn’t know I could be so bored. Did I mention is was ALL DAY?

Please, STW, entertain me.

SaxonRider

The guy beside me just coughed without covering his mouth. At least now I can think about avoiding TB.

nickc

is it a bullshit bingo sort of meeting?

bearnecessities

Get the word “flange” into a conversation. Update is once this task is complete.

SaxonRider

Unfortunately, it’s a meeting I had higher hopes for. I am listening to a philosopher in ethics right now, but his presentation is awful. So, not so much bullshit, as general hot air.

MoreCashThanDash

Can I suggest Stoic Philosophy to help get you through?

legend
    Free Member

I’ve just finished for the week, same time I finish every week. HTH

unklehomered
    Free Member

If anyone asks for feedback…

Harry_the_Spider

I remember some a-hole doing a presentation stating that the average of attention span of the audience was about 20 minutes, but it took him over an hour.

Conversely, I took the Cub pack on a fire station visit last night and when it came to the Q&A they were brilliant. So you need to think like an 8 year old.

Ask the presenter.

1. Do you all have tattoos?
    2. What time did you get to work this morning?
    3. Have you ever cut somebody’s finger off?
    4. What is the most disgusting thing you have seen?
    5. Have you got a dog?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Is it a meeting, or a presentation?

Most of the ‘meetings’ I’ve been to are actually presentations.

You’ve got to ask yourself, is this a group session where everyone has an opportunity to discuss/propose a solution a single or multiple challenges, or is it just some bag of hotair waffling for too long whilst everyone day dreams about something they’d rather be doing? Because in my book, that’s a presentation.

Also, ask yourself, is this ‘meeting’ valuable? Is it an internal ‘meeting’ has some company or organisation instructed everyone to attend? I’ve been to ‘meetings’ with over 100 ‘participants’ which is just a presentation – 100 people all working for the same company – average salary of £30k say – it’s an all day meeting. So labour costs are £30k x 100 = £3m, divided by 12 (months) divided by 20 (working days) for the sake of simplicity – £12,500 in salaries, plus travel expenses, venue cost etc – it’s £15k easy – usually given most people attention span and willingness / ability to retain information I’d bet you could condense that 8 hours of blah blah blah into a single side of A4 – which, as if by magic they’ll hand you on the way out, or send in a e-mail (which will usually be padded out to 8 pages of Powerpoint with lots of pointless graphics and BIG lettering).

In 2 weeks times the only information from it people will remember were any cheesy jokes they said at the start, they’re refer to the notes if they want anything useful. Could have saved £15k and just sent the notes out by e-mail.

It’s that sort of mental exorcizes that keep me almost sane in this sorts of things.

molgrips
    Free Member

Scott Adams from one of his books:

“At university, during some lectures I realised that it is not possible to die of boredom, no matter how much you wish it were.”

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

DW.

DezB
    Free Member

So you need to think like an 8 year old.

Ask the presenter.

1. Do you all have tattoos?
    2. What time did you get to work this morning?
    3. Have you ever cut somebody’s finger off?
    4. What is the most disgusting thing you have seen?
    5. Have you got a dog?

Marvellous that. That’s how my brain works when I get bored in meetings. Luckily I have a boss with similar thoughts these days.. someone’s going off on some tedious topic, he’ll just look at the window “Ooh, a crane fly!” or something. Quite like meetings these days.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘In a meeting’ is closed to new replies.