Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • ignorant people
  • jools182
    Free Member

I was out before around Mellor Cross and a guy in lycra on a hardtail passed me 3 times, and blanked me 3 times

I do hope that we are not going to start getting ‘I’m not talking to you because you ride a different kind of bike to me’ kind of behaviour

I’m thoroughly bored of being blanked by skiers when on my snowboard, and vice versa

I might even flounce off and get a road bike, at least they acknowledge each other 😉

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

You sound a bit needy.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

What?

Oggles
    Free Member

Stand in the street and see how many people walk past and say hello without you prompting them.

allthepies
    Free Member

lol @ this thread

McHamish
    Free Member

Try not to do that in a red light district or you might end up getting real friendly with someone.

yunki
    Free Member

I went past a geezer out by mellor cross 3 times earlier..

flippin tosspot blanked me every time

was it cos I was on a hardtail…….?

Junkyard
    Free Member

no way you were speeding erm I mean going fast 😉

coolhandluke
    Free Member

People are strange.

I say a cheery hello to all I see on a bike. If they blank me I mutter something like “miserable sod”, or similar.

On our mountain bike holiday last year two of the guests practically blanked us for the whole week! well one more than the other to be fair to the one who was miserable but less so than the other.

We just found it a bit odd really. No crack, cheerfulness, humour, (or deoderant it would appear) in them at all. ho hum.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Stand in the street and see how many people walk past and say hello without you prompting them.

That’s totally different to passing someone on an MTB out in the sticks though isn’t it? There are also some places where people do say hello to strangers as they pass in the street too, although it’s increasingly rare these days.

I don’t think we should expect to be acknowledged but is a simple ‘Hi’ between 2 people enjoying a shared hobby too much to ask for?

5thElefant
    Free Member

I think you’ve picked the wrong hobby. I hear doggers are a friendly bunch.

jools182
    Free Member

I said hello to him 3 times, I wasn’t expecting a conversation

I just thought it was the decent thing to do, let on to fellow bikers

maybe I should just act like the grumpy bastard I usually am when off the bike

taxi25
    Free Member

Maybe he was deaf ? I’m deaf in one ear and don’t always hear people if i’m on a training mission 😛 But then again, as you say he might just have been a miserable sod.

Dancake
    Free Member

were you naked?

jools182
    Free Member

Am I allowed gloves and kneepads?

rewski
    Free Member

Hello!

monksie
    Free Member

When was this? Today? It might have been me. Sorry if it was. I’ve not been great at all today.
    Blue and white Cube Ltd Race.
    I don’t remember seeing anybody on a bike but then again, I can’t remember much of my ride. I was up there between 9:00am and 11;00am’ish.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

This does wind me up, I say hello to everyone and usually get a hello back from everyone, chavs, old grannies, ramblers and even roadies, but the ignorant feckers tend to be riding a FS Specialized dressed up like Robocop just to ride up the canal, boils my piss I tells thee. I make sure they’re still in earshot when I call them an ignorant C unit, Juan Kerrs

MentalMickey
    Free Member

Nevermind Jools, with a bit of luck you might spot the anti-social riders struggling to fix something on their bike one day, then you can enjoy riding past without saying a word.

jools182
    Free Member

Wasn’t you monksie

I was out around 4 this afternoon

njee20
    Free Member

I say hello to everyone when I’m on a bike, some reply, some don’t, it doesn’t change my life!

I was riding up from Peaslake on Easter Sunday on the road bike, I passed 3 guys riding together, they were all very cheerful, had a quick “lovely day for it” type conversation, then passed a chap who was clearly not enjoying the climb, he gave me a sort of grunty hello, then passed a bunch of about 10 guys on decent MTBs, they were spread all over the road, I sat behind them while they sorted themselves out, said thanks, wished them good morning, not one said anything. They went totally silent, having been chatting before.

I thought it amusing rather than anything!

Without wanting to pigeon hole people the ones least likely to reply is the radcoregnarly freeriders with body armour for sitting in car parks and at the top of trails telling everyone they’re stoked.

If it actually bothers you, I’d suggest SBZ may be onto something!

jools182
    Free Member

It doesn’t make me angry, I just find it a bit odd

I know it happens every day, in every walk of life, I was just hoping cyclists might not be such bell ends 😀

njee20
    Free Member

They may not have heard, they may not be English speakers, they may just be in a world of their own, or they may be bellends. WGAS?

MentalMickey
    Free Member

They may not have heard, they may not be English speakers, they may just be in a world of their own, or they may be bellends. WGAS?

And around 50% of cyclists, joggers, walkers I see nowadays can’t seem to do anything without the aid of an Ipod, not always easy to spot the wires either.

brakes
    Free Member

I rode in Yorkshire on Saturday – everyone on a bike not only said hello but raised a hand and gave a cheery wave and smiled.
    Yorkshire is the best place in the world.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Where is mellor cross in relation to a city? i find that once you get outside city boundaries everybody says hello(well outside glasgow anyhow), but inside them you’ll be lucky to get a reaction from anyone, though you still get the odd one. I don’t bother my arse mind, if somebody says hello or wants to talk i’ll oblige, if not that’s up to them, who knows what they are thinking, you say the guy passed you three times mibbe he was in training or something?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Some people are ****. Simple. I always say hello to people when I’m out riding. Like someone said above, I might mutter something if I don’t get a response but I’m not going to cry about it.

cookeaa

I’m a Nod and/or smile man myself, sometimes reciprocated, sometimes ignored, I don’t let it worry me either way…

In fact the only thing worse than ignorance, is forced friendliness from a natural Curmudgeon…

Live and let Grumble.

djglover
    Free Member

I don’t say hello to people who I pass road running, trail running, mountain biking or road biking. In exactly the same way I don’t say hello to everyone I see in the aisle at Tesco, Morrisons or Waitrose. Although I sometimes reserve a cheeky wink for the yummy mummies in Waitrose, they love it.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

+1, njee.

His pigeons might have died. If you’re happy with how you behaved today, that’s all that *should* matter. You can’t influence others. Honestly – don’t take it personally.

djglover – Member
    Although I sometimes reserve a cheeky wink for the yummy mummies in Waitrose, they love it.

Quality! 🙂

MSP

Pretending everyone is your friend and should be happy has its place on children’s television, but in the real world is a sign of insecurity and mental instability.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I think you’ve picked the wrong hobby. I hear doggers are a friendly bunch.

I know they are. I’m more into sea-gulling though.

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

I find it irritating when strangers on bikes say hello to me. Go away, you are probably going to try and poke around my chocolate box.

coffeeking
    Free Member

The OP earlier….

chickenslippers
    Free Member

Peace and love, I say hello each and every time but I’m just a cheery sole when I’m out on any of my bikes, DH,XC,SS,Road or Tri bikes.

monksie
    Free Member

Mellor Cross is about 12 miles from Manchester city centre, 6 miles from Stockport town cente, on the edge of the Peak District.

jools182
    Free Member

I just don’t like ignorance, saying hello when passing someone out in the countryside is hardly invading peoples space

Maybe its because I’ve always lived out in the sticks

Northwind

jools182 – Member

I was out before around Mellor Cross and a guy in lycra on a hardtail passed me 3 times, and blanked me 3 times

I blank people all the time, not because I’m ignorant but because I’m always worried that we’ve met before and I should know who they are, and I’ll be embarassed when I don’t remember. Perfectly sensible.

Of course, I forget people’s names as soon as I meet them purely because I’m ignorant.

winterfold
    Free Member

Some funny replies 🙂

Most riders of whatever kind say hello – obviously it’s a pain in the arse if you’re commuting in London – but otherwise most peeps do – if they don’t – maybe they just got divorced or had a shitty day – or they may just be miserable – so what takes all sorts?

(Remember roadies say hello in barely perceptible ways)

hh45
    Free Member

In my experience 90% of cyclists, including roadies say “hi” and give some form of minor acknowledgement and this is in Dorset / Wilts area on both road and mountain bikes. As do walkers. And horse riders although horse riders are probably the least sociable. Probably cos they’re arrogant, bike hating tossers and jealous that we don’t have huge at$ES like what they do.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘ignorant people’ is closed to new replies.