Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • If you ride on the road I'll drive on the cycle path
  • cheers_drive

Taken on on yesterdays club ride (I wasn’t on it)
    facebook
    😯
    It will be interesting to see if the police do anything

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

class act

MoreCashThanDash

😯

ampthill

Prosecute

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

The Driver is a certain individual – but why not cycle on the cycle path? Surely safer?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

but why not cycle on the cycle path? Surely safer?

Most cyclists prefer to antagonise motorists by cycling on the road; usually in the middle of the lane.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

why not cycle on the cycle path? Surely safer?

Let me just go and check the biscuit stocks. I think there are still some Chocolate Olivers, and I think this situation deserves them.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Was that a fast show sketch ?

MrSmith
    Free Member

The Driver is a certain individual – but why not cycle on the cycle path? Surely safer?

Safer from what? Drivers in cars acting like cocks? The video proves otherwise.
    Also there is only one law being broken and that’s by the motorist.

aP
    Free Member

Sometimes I ride on tyres that cost more than car tyres. Why would I want to ride over bits of glass?
    Oh, and have the right to ride on the road, rather than only do it by license?

joat

Ignore the troll.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Got a point, why not ride on the cycle path.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

There’s not enough space on them to ride two/three abreast.

km79
    Free Member

Too cool for cycle paths this lot.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cycle lane Bingo cards at the ready:
    Covered in dog shit
    Joggers with earphones
    Broken glass
    Unswept leaves and gravel
    Give way to cars coming out of every minor side road
    Give way to cars behind you that you can’t see when they turn into junctions
    They disappear at junctions just where you could do with then, meaning you have to re enter the traffic (dangerous in itself) then do the dangerous bit of road
    They don’t always (often, ever) go where you want to go.
    Lamp posts and traffic signs mid lane
    White lines are slippery (round of applause for the person who decided painted on bike lanes covered in lines/symbols were a good plan)

There’s even one near me that ends in the central reservation of a DC, with 4 lanes of traffic to cross on one side (2 on the other, but the ‘cyclepath’ doesn’t go that way) and the traffic lights are broken.

scotroutes

Why did the rider with the camera suddenly speed up and pull away from the following riders? That doesn’t seem very sociable.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Currently causing consternation to the good people of Ayr, the local rag sat in the fence for a while, but is now fully against it. Colossal bellendery.

Sandwich

Shared path? If it is then 30kmh limit for cyclists is advised. Most weekend cycle rides by clubs will average 30kmh so the road is the place for them.

MoreCashThanDash

Most weekend cycle rides by clubs will average 30kmh so the road is the place for them.

As this was the “social” ride I’d hope the average would be a bit lower!

But anyone who thinks a cycle path is the best place for a roadie club ride really isn’t worth arguing with.

TiRed

I know it’s obvious but I ride my track bike on the track, my mountain bike on mountains and my road bike on errrr roads. I don’t have a cycle path bike. Of course the trike is too wide anyway and I’m too fast on my road bike 8) . Interesting footage looked like it was from a Fly6.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The only cycle paths I bother with on my commute are on the homeward route, as I approach Northam Bridge’s shared path from Summers Street, go across the bridge and then into Quayside Road, to take the short path that links up to Athelstan Road (enabling me to ascend the much nicer and quieter Chessel Avenue, rather than have loads of cars pass me exceeding the 30mph limit while I’m slogging away at <10mph on Lances Hill).

On the way in, it is a race against my starting time at work, so sticking to the road makes sense… Although it is far better not to do this literally after headbutting a large vehicle with jagged crushing teeth at ~20mph. 😉

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Not a troll-what a standard boring reply to someone who raises a point/question you don’t like! I do not do group/club rides so have no experience or education on this. Just personal experience. If a cycle path is available I always use it and not experiencing club rides ever did not understand or appreciate why you would not use the dedicated path. Also the cycle paths in my area are excellent – it is the roads with potholes, raised and dropped drains, broken glass etc that are the problem.

rossburton
    Free Member

“why not cycle on the path” is hopefully a troll, but some context: as thats from the Ely CC that looks a lot like the shared use path from Witchford to Sutton. If it is, that section is wide and flat as it was only made two years ago (and relaid last year after it started cracking) but in about 30 seconds the rider will be crossing several house drivers, a garage, and two side junctions, then the path narrows to approximately 18 inches wide with cracks in that will easily eat a narrow road tyre. Oh and it’s shared use so beware other walkers/riders/joggers.

bob_summers

a lot of drivers could also be on a train or bus (or, shudder to think, a bicycle) but generally don’t like this being pointed out.

I’ll use a path if it’s suitable but completing a 5.5h training ride solely on paths would be an interesting challenge…

DezB
    Free Member

“why not cycle on the path” is hopefully a troll

If it’s not a troll it’s someone pretty thick. Or maybe they just ain’t a cyclist.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Oh lordy, not this road v cycle path debate again. Done to death a couple of weeks ago…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/banning-cycling-on-a24-dorking-to-leatherhead

molgrips
    Free Member

Good cycle paths are great for people who are not going fast or trying to train. They are terrible and rather dangerous for anyone wanting to get some training done. They are optional – there for those who wish to use them.

End of debate.

bob_summers

End of debate.

😆

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

DezB
    why not cycle on the path” is hopefully a troll

If it’s not a troll it’s someone pretty thick. Or maybe they just ain’t a cyclist

How rude – my apologies for asking a question.

philjunior
    Free Member

How rude – my apologies for asking a question.

I think the problem here is that people who ride in groups or even solo at speed will understand the unsuitability of cycle paths in most instances (there are one or two notable exceptions). Mountain bikers who don’t ride road bikes won’t – cycle paths are generally quite suitable for a mountain bike between sections of trail due to the lower speeds (in general).

It does seem a bit of a silly question, but it is one that many normal people don’t know the answer(s) to – most thankfully not to the degree of driving like a complete tit.

twisty

why not cycle on the cycle path?

This is what the idiot driver was thinking. Because their tiny mind cannor comprehend the issues of cycling in a group and/or at speed on a path shared with pedestrians etc.

Del

If you ride on the road I’ll drive on the cycle path

do WTF you want mate. if you think I’m doing something wrong, report me, and I promise I’ll do the same for you.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Good cycle paths are great for people who are not going fast or trying to train. They are terrible and rather dangerous for anyone wanting to get some training done

That’s a sweeping generalistaion. The cycle path I commute/train/go fast on is great, it’s never very busy, it has a couple of very minor roads intersecting it and its well surfaced.

But I agree that if people want to ride on the road then they have every right to.

bails

Oh lordy, not this road v cycle path debate again. Done to death a couple of weeks ago…

It’s also completely irrelevant. The cyclists could be riding along starkers, flicking the v’s and waving banners saying “all drivers are morons” and that still doesn’t make it right (legally or morally) for the driver to go flying down the pavement.

TBH, the pavement looks loads narrower than the road to the right of the cyclists, it would have been easier to overtake normally rather than like a lunatic/simpleton.

bur70n
    Free Member

There are arguments either way, having cycled a lot on cycle paths and for the simple reason that I found them more dangerous than the road, even with one driver cutting me up on purpose.

It is what it is, cycle lanes on the road are better but then doesn’t stop the traffic being in them. As long as your not cycling on a normal path, but then sometimes the mixed paths often change mid way etc…

thecaptain
    Free Member

No, I don’t accept that there are any valid arguments that cyclists should not generally be allowed to ride on the road when they prefer (with some very limited exceptions such as motorways). What arguments did you have in mind?

chrishc777
    Free Member

Is there a working link for the video?

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Maybe the driver in the video was just trying a bit of a “cheeky” route.

km79
    Free Member

Ah cyclists, they want everyone else to change their behavior to suit themselves but blow up in a hissy fit when someone suggest they make some changes also.

Slow down, fit wider tyres and don’t ride in large groups then. You should be grateful some of our road tax is used to build you cycle paths in the first place. Pretty ignorant for you to not use them and continue clogging up the roads for everyone else.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Ignorant cyclists clogging the roads?
    Road tax? Since when have you paid road tax? Unless you were driving before 1937 that might be never..

Difficult concepts for some tiny minds to understand taxation, what causes traffic congestion and pollution. Back to troll land km79

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘If you ride on the road I'll drive on the cycle path’ is closed to new replies.