Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • if you had a week in Wales in November…
  • simply_oli_y
    Free Member

What would you ride?

Due to a cancelled work trip both myself and the girlfriend now have time to get a week away together this year. She’s never ridden in wales. So figure would be a good time for a trip south from Scotland.

Red/black trail centre stuff is fine. Would like some natural rides if possible as well.

Prefer to have 1 or 2 bases rather than always on the move. So any accommodation recommendations also gratefully received. Will have dog in tow. Other nearby things to do would be good, but not essential.

Wookster

Afan, for sure, whites level etc are great fun. BPW as well? For a day out the Gap trail is a good ride too.

stumpy01

I’d probably do a stint in North Wales as it gives you a few options – Penmachno, Marin Trail, CyB. There’s a decent couple of days riding at CyB alone if you aren’t getting there at the crack of dawn & charging round.

Never been to Machynlleth (sorry if the spellings wrong) so would proably head down that way (towards Aberystwyth) and look for some local routes round there…..

Not sure about dog-friendly accommodation. We normally stay in a hostel at Trawsfynydd for CyB trips. It’s a bit rough & ready, but fine for a group of blokes. Dunno if they take dogs though & not sure what kind of luxury you’d be expecting. It’s called Llys Ednowain.

philwarren11
    Free Member

North or South Wales?

wrightyson
    Free Member

2nd for Penmachno, as natural as a trail centre could be. Big no for the marin as I’ve never been so bored. Cyb also plenty to go out and decent bike hub with good showers etc.

muggomagic

If you haven’t ridden the Cafall trail in Cwmcarn then definitely stop off and do that. If I had a week I’d do 2/3 days at one of the big ones like Afan or CyB and then try and fit as many of the others near by around it.

Kamakazie

3 days north and 3 south?
    South Wales you could base yourself near Cardiff and do Afan, Bikepark Wales and CwmCarn, or as suggested head to the Beacons for a big days natural riding like the gap.

ichabod
    Free Member

Both North and South have great riding but North wins hands down on scenery so if you haven’t been then I would say head there. Several trail centres plus Festiong downhill all within an hours drive of each other. New trail sections at Coed y Brenin and Marin (which is a load better now for it). The option of riding Snowdon if you get a clear day – avoid weekends if you want to enjoy it!

lardman
    Free Member

Penmachno is a great trail, and a good natural/trail centre type. The Beast at CYB is pretty varied and OK for a trail centre. Also, Nant-Y-Arian id pretty good, with some longer trails/combo’s. More ‘wild’ feeling there.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

When you heading down Ollie? Would be ace to catch up..

carlos
    Free Member

I’d be tempted to start with Afan as it’s farthest South, then move up to Dolgellau for Coed Y Brenin and maybe Cadair Idris (natural), then move again to Conwy for Penmachno, Marin, Conwy Mountains (natural), Antur Stiniog (DH style bike park with uplift).

my 2p’s worth

As for accommodation, sorry but can’t hep with that

Carlos

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

So a lot depends how much you want to move about and over how many days, plus I don’t know where you live.

IF you want to do South Wales you could do Cwmcarn, Afan Argoed, Brechfa with possibly some riding of natural stuff in Brecon.

North Wales you could do Marin trail, Llandegla, staying in Betwys-y-coed and (look at Glan Aber Hotel or bunk house) then move down to Coed-y-Brenin and spend a few days there saying at Cae Gwyn farm. If you wanted to head to Aberystwyth then do Nant-yr-Arian just make sure you are there for the kite feeding. Regrding Penmachno stay away! It doesn’t flow and in the height of the dry summer was living riding in a river bed, so depths of winter and it will be horrific. If you go North Wales you then have al the other options of hiking Snowdon and outdoor activities.

Cheezpleez

Make sure you do the 2014 Bearbones 200 route for the full Welsh experience. 😉

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

thanks for all the input. Will split the week between north and south. Spending 4 days in the north, then 3 in the south. (As then heading over to Norfolk) Plus starting in the north means its not a 6-7hr drive on the first morning!

dyls

Id stay in betws y coed in the north, marin on your doorstep, penmachno and antur stiniog 15mins away and coed y brenin and snowdon 30mins away.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’ll see you on the Sunday Mate..
    Just tell me where & when..

ianfitz
    Free Member

Some good suggestions for riding. If you go to Mach get some pies from the deli by the clock tower. Leftfield but stunning!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘if you had a week in Wales in November…’ is closed to new replies.