Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • If the Blur 4x is so brilliant…
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

… then why did SC stop making it? And why don’t they start building it again instead of designing a new bike that’s different and then trying to market it as the new 4x? I’ve never owned one, but am always tempted whenever one comes up on the classifieds in a way that I’m not tempted by the TRc (and it’s silly price tag!)

yossarian
    Free Member

That is a very good question.

nickegg
    Free Member

I just bought a 4X off Hobnob on here and love it! No idea why SC stopped making it though. I think the TRc may be similar in geometry terms but that’s it! If they brought out an alloy TR then that would be great….they have done with the Tallboy so it’s a possibility i guess.

I love my Blur 4X. There is something just right about it but can’t really put my finger on it! Serves me superbly as an all-rounder. I demo’d an Intense Slopestyle 2 the other day and that too had a similar feel…..could be the VPP suspension?!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Can see that the name might confuse people as i’ve heard it’s not actually a great 4x bike, and with the 4x event sort of being a thing of the past, calling it a 4x might result in it being overlooked by bike buyers. If that was the reason why not just rebrand it instead of killing it off?

Edit: nick egg, does sound like a brilliant bike, and there always seems to be a very good market for used ones.

z1ppy

From what I’ve read, Though seemingly a firm favorite with UK buyers, it wasn’t a massive seller anywhere else in the world… & if there little in the way of sales, you stop selling em.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Maybe they need to do a blur 4×29 for the rest of the world 😉

nickegg
    Free Member

The name certainly can’t have helped sales….much like Intense’s Slopestyle…an amazing bike but most definitely NOT suitable for slopestyle!!! Look at the bikes those guys use and they all have very short travel, relatively steep and short wheelbases.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

No idea. I’ve had mine for 3 years now and I’m a serial bike changer! Theres a large on ebay at the moment for a bargain price – owned by a mechanic in my LBS by the look of it and I’m tempted purely to see if the large would fit me better… (at 5’8″ I feel on the limit for the medium).

mrblobby
    Free Member

If I could fit another bike in the shed then I would be very tempted by that.

18bikes

I don’t think the name helped – and by the time people got to know what the bike was about, they were another model ahead on the other blurs (without the sales to justify revamping the 4x to match)

I think the Nickel has partly taken this space (along with the TRC, but that’s another price level! That’s what I’d be looking at in the SC line, for a similar use of bike.

heihei

Anyone tried an Intense Tazer VP as a regular bike? Would seem that is pretty close on paper to the Blur 4x.

jimjam
    Free Member

A few of my mates own/owned them and I’ve ridden a few different specs and variations. I’ve not liked any of them and have to say, in my opinion, for what it’s worth, it must be the most over rated bike ever. That’s not to say that it’s an awful bike, but it’s far from the best bike ever as many people would have you believe.

If I had to back that up, I would say it’s because I found it short, high and steep for an “aggressive trail bike” and heavy for a trail/xc bike.

jfeb
    Free Member

“Short, high and steep”! Are you sure?!

Of course, fashion has caught up with it so it isn’t as odd as it once seemed.

jambon
    Free Member

Short, yeah, like all SCs.

nickegg
    Free Member

Short…a little yes.

High…They have a lower BB than most bikes i’ve come across.

Steep…67.5 degree HA with a 120mm fork is pretty slack even by todays standards!

shaxi
    Free Member

still find it interesting ! thank you ! 🙂

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Feels wrong with a 120mm fork though – 160mm up front and a low cockpit is the way to go!

hora
    Free Member

The LT2 (updated VP) is supposed to be loads better and you get the benefits of the Blur4x but with slightly more rear travel. The only ‘plus point’ of the Blur4x itself is the beefed-up downtube. However its got enough braces etc and if you are riding downhill you really wouldn’t ride 115mm travel anyway.

So the Blur4x confused buyers…

BlurLT2 however its not bloody cheap is it 🙁

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I don’t want more travel – thats why I got a 4X. Wanted something that’d take big forks but still pedal a bit like a hardtail.

The only bike I’d swap it for is a newer, slacker Five. Air shocks at both ends, 1×10 and a dropper seatpost etc.

But I’m not spending £1500 on a frame that might be about as good as my Blur is (to me).

Need to give it some TLC… its still in the dungeon covered in mud from Dalby a week ago…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hora, i seem to remember some post about your 4x, you still got it?

I’ve had an old Blur XC for years and it makes an excellent trail bike, but think it would be an even better one if I could run a slightly longer fork and it was just a little bit slacker (120 forks and a works components headset… would I surely be killed in a heap of mangled frame tubes?) Based on that i thought the LT2 would be brilliant, but when I actually got to ride one I was a bit disappointed, just felt slow and wallowy on most trails compared to the XC (may have been better had I more time to spend on setup.) Suspect the 4x will less travel might be spot on. Or maybe the new XC with a 120 fork would be better still (though given the price tag I’m not going anywhere near one just in case it’s brilliant!)

GW
    Free Member

and if you are riding downhill you really wouldn’t ride 115mm travel anyway.

Why not Hora? 😕 Do you even ride DH? 😐
    My mini DH bike just so happens to have 115mm rear travel and on many short (sub 2min. ie. a lot of folks’ local) DH tracks is noticeably (timed) quicker than my 8″ DH bike. although it is short travel it has almost exactly the same (proper DH) geometry as my DH bike. more travel certainly does not instantly mean better DH bike.
    LTs should be plenty strong enough for a bit of light DH use (Jamie Goldman’s riding one in sloestyle/DJ comps) and I’ll bet would be a lot of fun but even for mini/short DH the Geometry is way off.

mrblobby
    Free Member

GW, what are you running as your mini DH bike?

hora
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong the blur4x is great. However I bet you could run a blur with slightly longer forks than the geo suggests, same with the superlight as both have welds and gussets around the headtube.

Do you even ride DH?

No I don’t but on certain rocky trails you could easily overwhelm the rear. Plus the first gen VP isn’t always great to pedal.

slowrider (also owned a blur4x) mentioned this weekend ‘there are alot more frames out there now that offer a similar experience’ (or summit like that).

I’ve been thinking, I need a one bike does it all. Specialized isn’t boutique enough for all folk yet it does everything I want.

slowrider
    Free Member

blur 4x was a fantastic bike when they brought it out, i certainly attribute a lot of my confidence to spending time on that bike.

it really isnt anything that unusual anymore though. geometry has improved almost across the board as well as tweaks like offset bushings and headsets. it would be easy to improve on the 4x by using it as a reference point on a lighter/longer/better pedalling/more travel/etc frame.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Suspect that there’s a level of gnar beyond which more travel does make sense, but I’ve been amazed by what 4 inches of VPP travel can handle and in the UK (well down south anyway.) Don’t often feel the need for much more at the back.

hora
    Free Member

Jeessus I’d love a Blur Trc!

GW
    Free Member

Blobby – an old (long)SX supercross in the slack/low setting with 140mm pike, Pushed coil vanilla and DH parts.

No I don’t but on certain rocky trails you could easily overwhelm the rear.

eh? WTF? can you explain a bit better what you’re trying to say there?

GW
    Free Member

Buy one then

hora
    Free Member

If you drove a Ford Focus and I said it was ok but not the best would you take it personal GW? 😆

mamadirt
    Free Member

heihei – Member

Anyone tried an Intense Tazer VP as a regular bike?

Yes, many many times. Pretty much the perfect do-it-all bike for smaller people. Very noisy due to its monocoque construction (all the motofoam and velcro in the world couldn’t silence my orange one – although an identical raw frame from the year later, with less machining inside the BB shell, was much quieter). I want another now . . . please!

GW
    Free Member

but I’ve been amazed by what 4 inches of VPP travel can handle and in the UK (well down south anyway.)

not just down south mate, my SX only becomes a harsh on longer tracks as the shock (short stroke/high leverage) starts to give (heat) up after about a min and a half(ish) of flat out roughness. at tracks like innerleithen/Ae it’s an absolute pinner but I wouldn’t really want to take it to the likes of Ft Bill/Dunkeld/Glencoe

GW
    Free Member

hora – Member

If you drove a Ford Focus and I said it was ok but not the best would you take it personal GW?WTF are you on about? seriously? 😕
    you’ve never ridden any of the bikes I own. none of them would be “the best” for you, infact probably not even “ok”.

mrblobby
    Free Member

At 2700 quid for just the frame, silly money. I think I’d even be a little bit embarrassed to turn up for a ride on it!

Edit: that tazer looks like it’d be a cracking little bike (no pun intended!)

hora
    Free Member

At £2,700 I’d be scared of scratching or getting it dirty. Obscene amount of money but I bet its bloody lovely to ride.

At £500 that Blur4x on ebay is a steal. I had an ano silver 4x and within a month or so it had similar marks in the anodizing from chain slap a cable rub etc. So no biggy IMO.

jimjam
    Free Member

nickegg

Short…a little yes.

High…They have a lower BB than most bikes i’ve come across.

Steep…67.5 degree HA with a 120mm fork is pretty slack even by todays standards!

I’m guessing it’s the way they sit up in their travel that makes them feel high, and peoples tendency to put bigger forks on them jacking up the bb, this combined with a short tt means they feels relatively steep on the trail to me at any rate.

hora
    Free Member

I ran mine at 140mm. Felt best there.

jam-bo

not just down south mate, my SX only becomes a harsh on longer tracks as the shock (short stroke/high leverage) starts to give (heat) up after about a min and a half(ish) of flat out roughness. at tracks like innerleithen/Ae it’s an absolute pinner but I wouldn’t really want to take it to the likes of Ft Bill/Dunkeld/Glencoe

I think it was ft bill that killed my SX.

Next session at triscombe and the chainstays gave up.

5lab

I ride a banshee wildcard, which is a similar frame (but still available). its swappable between 4.5 and 6″ of travel which makes it a bit more versatile, and its probably much longer and lower (the 16″ frame is only reccomended for riders over 6’2

davecm
    Free Member

It’s all in the name.

Other bikes were better as an out and out 4x weapon, the top tube design is a bit outdated (read – not low slung), and as already mentioned, by the time people realised it was an awesome all round fun bike, it was a bit late.

I’ve had two now (the 1st one was stolen and I was so smitten with it I had to have another) and they’re awesome. I can ride around the local (flat) woods and not feel too “overbiked”, and not worry about hitting any of the bigger gaps/drops there during my ride.

I can take it down chicksands and it’s more than capable of taking anything that place can through at it, and the following day take it on an epic all mountain ride and have a hoot railing corners (something it does amazingly) and getting air whenever possible.

One thing I’ve found with it that it is one of those weird bikes that if you’re on it, or just tying to have fun on it, tying to get air wherever possible it will reward you with a big grin, and encourage you to thrash it more and more. But if you’re riding like a big wus, it’ll punish you.

Wouldn’t mind trying mine with a better air shock or coil like the CDDB.

footflaps

I have the original SC Blur (100m both ends) and run it with a 140mm fork up front and a slightly longer travel shock – rides way better than as stock.

Santa Cruz Blur (1st gen) by brf, on Flickr

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘If the Blur 4x is so brilliant…’ is closed to new replies.