Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • If Stan makes notube rims how come you still need a kit?
  • starseven
    Free Member

These here Stans No Tubes rims seem all the rage but whats so special about them?
    Reading the posts on here it seems I will still need a (expensive) kit to make them tubeless and the same kit could make any rim tubeless.

Why not just buy some rims that are properly tubeless(sealed) in the first place.

aracer
    Free Member

You don't.

allankelly

Stan's rims are simply very nice rims. You can tubeless nearly anything for pennies. I use his excellent fluid and nothing else.

http://www.tubelesswheels.com

Cheers, al.

KevinPP
    Free Member

Stans rims only need their yellow tape to make them tubeless, rather than a rubber tubeless kit. I believe the rim is designed to lock on to the the tyre better than a 'normal' rim, and as allenkelly says; they are very nice rims. Light and strong.

trail_rat
    Free Member

depends on your rim – DT swiss x1900s wouldnt hold a bead if their life depended on it with a kit of ghetto … burped all over the place

same tires on stans worked first time and has been inflated since ..

jobbyheid
    Free Member

The thing is building wheels on proper tubeless rims is a hassle, the Mavic ones have wee bolts that hold the nipples in (I think), I suppose Stans just thought it was easier to put a strip in.

john_l
    Free Member

Like it says up there – it's only rim tape required, not a full tubeless conversion.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

The flow rims have a more 'hookey' rim, meaning the bead of the tyre fits really well. You get to hear a nice pop as the bead seats when inflating, even if you are using tubes

matthewlhome
    Free Member

you only need a rim strip if using non ust bead tyres. This is something to do with holding the bead more securely.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Some people have a bit of confusion with stans gear, since the term 'rim strip' is often used to descibe both the rubber strip that can be used on other rims, as well as the yellow tape that is used to seal the spoke holes on a stans rim.

There is a scenario where, if non-ust tyre won't seat on a stans rim, you need to used a rubber rimstrip. JRA have advised me to do this with some kevlar High Rollers. IME and from the report on here – thats pretty uncommon though. Most get away with the yellow tape, most of the time.

phyncra
    Free Member

Stams rim profile

|_ _|
    \_/

Normal rim profile

| |
    \_/

The shoulder onn a stans rim means they dont rely on a bead hook to seat the rim , which makes them seat much easier and they are stonger as they have a much less pronounced bead hook.

Im really quite impressed with my drawings!!

EDIT well I was before they got garbled grr

EDIT EDIt I give up you'll jhave to live without my awesome artwork!

rolfharris
    Free Member

I run them because they're the lightest rims you can get.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘If Stan makes notube rims how come you still need a kit?’ is closed to new replies.