Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • idea's for a very comfy long distance bike.
  • ton

if you were gonna do some very long distance rides, like point to point.
    so that would be riding offroad and on roads, lanes and everything, what would be your ideal bike for this.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Stiffee 😉 . Did I miss the pics?

simondbarnes

Depends how offroad really. Ti or steel tourer with clearance for biggish tyres would probably be my choice.

tails
    Free Member

Those ti on ones? I'm quite interested in this as well, as I aspire to be a xc kinda rider yet reckon I'll always be a quick blast type.

You could buy a curtis surely ton?

trail_rat
    Free Member

would be a 29er with a hub gear – based on a thorn sterling but with a 29inch wheel…..

enquired about getting it made and its a flat 1000 quid ontop of the standard 3500 to look at getting custom to fit a 29er an they have no plans to make 29ers – never catch on….

Suggsey
    Free Member

Would a Dawes Galaxy with flat bars do the job?

ton

tails, which curtis and why.

nickjb
    Free Member

Depends on the off-road bit. I'd much rather ride a full suss on the road than a road racer on Gnarly singletrack.

Duc
    Free Member

Salsa Fargo

Its exactly what it is designed for !

midlifecrashes

I'd like to think it'd be a lot like my old steel tourer, again with 32 or bigger tyres. With that in mind can I have first dibs when your six weeks old Salsa Fargo comes up on the classifieds(buy it one size too small this time). Kinesis Decade Tripster looks interesting too, but not read any reviews. Nothing wrong with a comfy hardtail with a lockout fork if there's more off road.

ton

and you are all thinking it is for me……………….;o)

tails
    Free Member

You do mean long distance mountain biking not road right?

tails, which curtis and why.

Well I reckon either xc (T45 or reynolds) or the freeride frame, tweak the geo as your a tall, iirc. Also further tweaking to make it ton proof, perhaps you could even get 'TON' cut in the headtube plates. If the curtis guy recommended them. Just a thought, but one worth inquiring about.

druidh
    Free Member

Something like a Van Nicholas Amazon. Ti frame, mudguard & rack mounts, disk brakes, 132.5mm rear hub width – and there's a Rohloff version.

igm

mama I can tell you that Ton's stifee looked very nice, if a little green 😉

ton

mama d, not got any pics as yet.
    rode it on friday at kielder, and it was…………er very stiff.

dandan
    Free Member

orange p7

Purplefunkymonkey
    Free Member

Gies a shout if you buy THIS as I wanna wee shot. 8)

nonk
    Free Member

i would have a full sus carbon fisher 29er thing.

ourmaninthenorth

steel tourer…with 32 or bigger tyres

This is, of course, the answer.

And I refer my honourable friends to the Rough Stuff Fellowship.

br
    Free Member

My steel 456 was reasonably comfy, my Ti 456 is like a sofa.

Also consider tyre size, or more particularly height and psi; plus running a thin seat post and bigger seat.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

would be riding offroad and on roads, lanes and everything, what would be your ideal bike for this.

I'd just put Kenda Small Block 8s on my Inbred, which I already have. It's comfy, fits well, and I can ride it all day. If I needed panners, it will take a rack too.

No need for a specific bike at all.

s8tannorm
    Free Member

I use a slot dropout Inbred for what you describe Ton. Works well … set up with Mary bars (going to try some NC17 trekking bars soon) and a 80 x 30 degree stem, carbon forks and 1.9" tyres it's comfy and handles the off road stuff well, oh and cheap too (not that it's a consideration for you) 😉

Stuart

igm

It's Ton – he'll have a bike change at each cut off point…
    …allegedly

Now I'd better stop taking the piss 'cos the night rides we've been doing are about all the exercise I seem to be getting at the moment

I have a Gary Fisher Rig29 with Rohloff Speedhub fitted to 700c and 700c front disc, carbon forks.

It's 17.5" frame and I'd normally take a 19 but wanted extra clearance for offroad – however it's got full mudguards, a rack and I'm using it to commute 50 miles a day at the moment – have a set of cyclocross tyres if I want and could go proper fat tires if the mood took me…….stick some fat tyres on if you want to take the rattle out offroad rather than plumping for sus if you're doing any great distance on road – sus takes so much energy out of you on a long ride even if you can lock it or adjust it a lot.

thomthumb
    Free Member

monstercross.

racing ralph 2.4s
    midge bars + high rise stem
    cable discs
    steel
    frame bag
    built in rack.

job done.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Giant anthem-X

Lock out the suspension for a road section

Long and low for long distance comfort (or buy a size small and go for the Tomac look with droped bars!

Offroad its as fast as you dare let it be.

And giants seem to up for more abuse than other brands.

If I realy was limited to 1 bike only it would probably be one of those.

coastkid
    Free Member

karate monkey,build it into how you want it,cheapish and gets the job done

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘idea's for a very comfy long distance bike.’ is closed to new replies.