Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • ID bands ?
  • iainc

I am often riding on my own, and when on the road don’t usually have any ID. Yes I have a phone, but the screen lock makes the ICE numbers useless. On the MTB I usually have a Camelbak , with wallet and keys etc, so not a problem.

So what’s the consensus on these ID bands that you sometimes see in the mags – any good ? how much and where ?

Cheers

jam-bo

Surely the only “ICE” number needed is 999.

Or it’s not actually an emergency?

Pieface

I have my contact details written on a laminated piece of paper I carry in my bag

iainc

jam bo – what I mean is in a situation where you had a fall/accident and were unconscious – you end up in an ambulance/hospital and they cannot ID you or contact your next of kin. On a road ride I could be quite far from local area, particularly if I had driven to start of ride

Pieface

If I was allergic to any medication / knew my blood type that would also go on the card

flatfish
    Free Member
    luke
    Free Member

I have one of these on the shoulder strap of my pack if out alone:
    http://www.safetband.com/entry_page.html

donsimon
    Free Member

If I was allergic to any medication / knew my blood type that would also go on the card

I carry an allergy pendant, this has a phone number and a nice person at the other end who could identify me from my etails. Had it for years.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If only we had a national identity scheme where we could get a card that would like to our centralised medical records…..

iainc

just ordered one of those roadID ones from US – even with shipping it was a better deal than I could find for UK ones. Hope it never needs used in earnest, but the wife is a bit happier now 😆 Thanks all

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If your not carrying an unlocked phone then just stick a scrap of paper in your pocket with your details on?

or don’t worry about it.

If I had a serious accident without ID, hopefully at some point I would end up in a hospital where I would be looked after until Mrs FD realised I hadn’t come home and would call the Police, at which point they might realise that the un identified man in hospital was me 🙂

If you have serious medical issues then surely you wear a bracelet anyhow?

mogrim

I’ve got one, but it was a freebie. I usually carry some kind of ID with me anyway, having the ID band would just make it easier/quicker to contact my wife.

jarvo
    Free Member

Another option for those with smartphones:

Create a wallpaper image for the lockscreen with your ICE details on there.

If you use android, then there is an app called Mishaps
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.outwalk.android.mishaps
    It puts two alternating screens on your lockscreen, one with your details, the other with an ICE contact.

Otherwise laminated card in a wallet, are also useful.

If you have illnesses which require medication or allergies to specific things, then paramedics are trained to search for SOS bracelets or necklaces.

BristolPablo
    Free Member

i bought one from http://www.iceid.co.uk its quite nice (although a bit pricey) and mrs britsolpablo is happier now when i go off on my own for a days bimble. I bought one after driving along and seeing a friend on the side of the road barely concious. although others had stopped and were checking him over, we could at least phone his wife and let her know he wouldnt be back for tea as the ambulance was taking him away.

it has six lines, so i went with my name, dob, blood group, two phone numbers and a question asking as to the severity of the damage to my bike…

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

As a T1DM I always ride with my RoadID

hunta

I use SOS Talisman to record meds as well as contact details. Amazing how much info you can get on a folded scrap of paper.

http://www.sostalisman.co.uk/

timb34
    Free Member

I thought about one of these, but there was a thread either here or on BR discussing it, with input from people who work in the emergency services.

What it seemed to boil down to was that if you’re fecked up enough not to be able to give your name, then anyone medical treating you isn’t going to arse around with pendants, wristbands or phoning your partner to tell them you’ll be late fro tea. they’re too busy saving your life (and they have to test and match your blood before giving a transfusion anyway, so blood group is redundant information)

After that, it’s the job of the Police to find/inform next of kin, and they are very good at that, especially if they’ve got a name to go on.

If you don’t have any other kind of ID that you carry, then a wristband is probably worth it to speed up the Police’s job.

Actually I might get one.

iainc

Thanks. The RoadID one looks just same as that ice.id one, but at £20 shipped from US a bit cheaper.. The lockscreen app looks good too.

no meds etc to record, just want to give peace of mind to better half when off on my tod on the road bike

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I bought me a onelife ID. Looks good and a few quid cheaper than the others I think.

Taff
    Free Member

I have an ICE number on my frame

verses

I have one of these on my helmet;

http://www.theidbandco.com/Commuter-Hard-Hat-Helmet-Safety-ID-Tags-195

As well as conveniently storing the important details it’s out of the way, it improves visibility and I would probably forget to take a wristband…

BristolPablo
    Free Member

What it seemed to boil down to was that if you’re fecked up enough not to be able to give your name, then anyone medical treating you isn’t going to arse around with pendants, wristbands or phoning your partner to tell them you’ll be late fro tea. they’re too busy saving your life (and they have to test and match your blood before giving a transfusion anyway, so blood group is redundant information)

whilst i agree, it does depend on whether the emergency services are first on the scene which in most situations isnt the case. whoever finds you calls 999, then sets about doing whatever they can whether this is calling a relative to collect the bike etc. I have no idea what happens to someones bike if there is an accident and no one knows who the guy is, and when lots of people have expensive bikes, its reassuring to know that someone can be contacted to collect the bike because i doubt the ambulance will take it and it wont be a police priority….

If the person does regain conciousness prior tothe arrival of the emergency services, being able to call them by their name rather than “mate” is quite important and whilst blood group may be largely irrelevant as they will test prior to a transfusion, if its an less popular blood group, they can at least warn the hospital in advance.

donsimon
    Free Member

But if I carry the information on my person and the person with medical training gives me any medicine that I’m allergic to I will feel quite comfortable suing them for endangering my life.

flatfish
    Free Member

Ordered a new one for the wife last night as she’s lost hers, just had an email from “Road ID” offering a $1 off with the following coupon code.

ThanksAndrew17661420

i know a whole $ isn’t much but it’s a free 64p off anybody’s order for the next month.

mildred

We’re in the unfortunate position where our little boy has been diagnosed with a rare disorder, meaning he has to have certain medication in the event of injury/illness. He’s only 4 and needs something that’s “cool”, but also gets the information across. All of the SOS talismans are either unsuitable due to size, or made of pink beads and for girls (seriously, it’s like boys don’t exist).

Has anyone for any ideas?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Not for kids but don’t many of us (not all I know) have a waterproof, light weight ID? Driving licence! Wrap a fiver round it and shove it in a coin bag. Thats all I carry apart from food. How about the good old tradition of having your name on your top tube. Add a post code and that will do.

smell_it
    Free Member

I use road id; carries my name, dob(i think), emergency contact and DNAR. Thankfully, i’ve not had to find out if the paramedics will oblige yet.

atlaz
    Free Member

After that, it’s the job of the Police to find/inform next of kin, and they are very good at that, especially if they’ve got a name to go on.

How are they going to get your name if you’re that ruined and alone? I hit some armco barriers on the road bike last night (thankfully was fine). I had no ID on me and had left my phone at home as it was basically flat when I got home from work. Had I gone over the barrier rather than being stopped by it I have no idea how they’d identify me until my other half called the police because I’d not come home. ID never hurts.

meesterbond

For the sake of £20 I can’t see any reason not to. I bought a RoadID band from the States, when I’m not riding it lives in my helmet with my gloves and sunglasses and I’ve got into the habit of wearing it whenever I ride. No reason not to.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

+1 for Road ID. I’ve had one for a number of years now, it’s very good quality (you can wash the strap in the machine as the metal bit unclips) and if I’m honest, I’d no more ride without a lid than I would the wristband. It just makes sense – meds or not (though I did get mine originally for medical reasons) and if the worst does happen, surely some easily accessible ID is better than none?

Kuco

I use a Road id just so it can make identifying the corpse easier.

davesmate
    Free Member

I got one of these. Looks good and keeps Mrs DM off my case

votchy
    Free Member

Type 1 diabetes here and I always wear one of those Road ID wristbands, whether riding alone or with mates, wife can also track my whereabouts using endomondo so able to see where I am if I dont get home

cookeaa

Anyone considered getting a Tatoo with their ICE details on?

Obviously a problem if your Home address, circumstances or ICE numbers were to change, but about as perminant and portable as it gets…

I think I may well get a basic ID bracelet, I often take my Drivers licencse or wallet as emergency ID, but I guess theres no guaruntee that in a big accident your Pack or the contents or the jersey pocket with your ID in will still be attached to you or even in the imediate vacinity…

ICE Sticker on the bikes is a Good idea too, Although it might give potential thieves a useful lead straight to your Garage, best not to include any address details, perhaps just an ICE mobile phone number or two…

stgeorge

Sticker in helmet with contact details.

daftvader
    Free Member

ice id instant ice for me. and they do ones for kids too for those that need them

mattsccm
    Free Member

got it.tattoo your national insurance number. That will ID you and you can’t lose it amd it won’t change.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

daftvader – Member

ice id instant ice for me. and they do ones for kids too for those that need them

They do a cycling specific one too i see

daftvader
    Free Member

delivery was quick from them too.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘ID bands ?’ is closed to new replies.