Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Ibis Mojo HD Frame Question, Play in pivot?
  • AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

I decided to totally strip down my bike and frame this evening and I discovered a good few mm of play in the pivot shown in the photo with the red arrow.

The things is there was some play in it before I took the pivot however this maay well be tightened just by tightening the pivot bolt as there is no play in the bearings on the suspension linkage.

My question is, there is a tube left inside the frame that is for the pivot to slot through, this part has quite a lot of play, is that normal? Should it be seated really nice and tight or does it act like the plastic tube in an external BB and is just a guide?

currently uploading a video which shows it better if it helps…

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O7200g36zg

If someone would explain how I host a youtube video on here that would also be helpful 8)

rickmeister

Here you go..

Get the link from youtube and in the post area at the bottom of the thread, click the box, far right saying VIDEO. Paste the link into the box that appears and your done…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O7200g36zg[/video]

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Hmm I did that, however when I ‘previewed’ it didn’t show. Cheers though

julians
    Free Member

I had the same problem on my hd, after investigation I worked out that the tubular insert in the frame that the pivot ‘axle’ goes through had becone unbonded from the frame.

I contacted ibis about it and they offered to replace the frame, bug I couldnt be bothered sending it back to the us, so I just araldited it back in place and its been fine since then, 9 months ago.

Apoarently they had a batch of frames from around 2010 that suffered this issue.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

What happens if I just leave it?

I don’t know if there is play in the frame or not because the bearings in my rear wheel are screwed therefore any play there is I have put down to that.

julians
    Free Member

If you leave it the tube will eventually become completely unbonded from the frame and the play will become significant and lead to a pretty poor riding bike. You should get it sorted out. I guess it may also damage the frame itself meaning a more expensive repair (ie needing a new rear triangle as opposed to a tube of araldite) if you leave it.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Was the frame purchased new or secondhand?
    If new just drop
    Warranty@2pure,co,uk an email, stating that the rear pivot has come unbounded, and provide serial numbers.
    You’ll have to return the frame to them (Edinburgh) and they’ll sort out a warranty replacement rear triangle.

If secondhand just araldite it back in as mentioned above.

crapbag
    Free Member

I too have this problem but mine is in the front triangle main linkage.

The worst part is that I found it doing final checks before setting off for Fort William this evening!!! Luckily I always have araldite in the house so have applied it around the tube. Fingers crossed it works!

julians
    Free Member

Mine failed in the front triangle as well. Fixed with araldite as per my post above about 1 year ago. It’s been fine so far including 1 week in the alps and a long weekend doing uplifts in southern spain

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Ibis Mojo HD Frame Question, Play in pivot?’ is closed to new replies.