• This topic has 120 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hels.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)
  • I was pretty shocked this morning… (religious content)
  • poly
    Free Member

I was born here…
    …You can move. It’s a free country.

Where would you like me to move to? Which country do you think wants me (as a British Subject) which isn’t also a Cristian Democracy.

This of course resuscitates the pre-christmas is this country Christian thread. But ignoring whether we are actually a Christian country or whether you can actually be a Heathen Christian – I could imagine not disimilar language between Catholics/Protestants in the west of Scotland or Stongly Christian views against some strongly atheist ones. Have you been living in a bubble believing we all love each other? People kill over religious views, a ‘motivational’ text is just the tip of the iceberg.

Nobby

I wish I’d found out what the issue was

Choice of snacks in the vending machine. Probably.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Choice of snacks in the vending machine. Probably

No pork scratchings, then?

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Double post. (??)

Kryton57

But binners, why should I be alloowed to be persucuted as a person living by the rules of the country I live, by an extremist who is allowed to get away with extremist actions within said country, when if I go to some other coutries, I’m forced to live by those rules (a ruling which I’d accept btw)for example, losing my hands at the wrist?

Vis a vis, I’m not allowed to treat people unfairly at work (many rules could be quoted) so is it fair that some poor member of staff is now about to feel the wrath of an extremist religious ideaology over a work issue?

Lifer
    Free Member

although christian by birth

😆

why live on a Christian democracy if you’re opposed to it?

😆

wwaswas

Choice of snacks in the vending machine.

Lifer
    Free Member

why should I be alloowed to be persucuted as a person living by the rules of the country I live, by an extremist who is allowed to get away with extremist actions within said country

How were you persecuted?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Praise Salami-i!

Kryton57

Lifer – Member

why should I be alloowed to be persucuted as a person living by the rules of the country I live, by an extremist who is allowed to get away with extremist actions within said country

How were you persecuted?

Not me, but like I said some poor person its about to face a heightened response based on religious motivation rather than just a focus on the issue at hand.

wwaswas

a heightened response based on religious motivation rather than just a focus on the issue at hand.

really?

I just read it like someone saying ‘we can overcome those idiots at the Slough office’.

or would that be Sloughist?

Lifer
    Free Member

“You can overpower them” ouch.

Kryton57

wwaswas – Member
    a heightened response based on religious motivation rather than just a focus on the issue at hand.

really?

I just read it like someone saying ‘we can overcome those idiots at the Slough office’.

or would that be Sloughist?

No thats informative locational info. “Becuase they are heathen Christians” is a religious bias”

Lifer
    Free Member

This is ridiculous.

leffeboy

I’m not huffy and puffy about it, just alarmed at the extremist view.

Sorry Kryton – wasn’t a dig at you. In my experience there isn’t a lot of this sort of extremism around but I have seen it, yes. Even within ‘religious’ organisations you get some folks that are just way out there.

Presumably the people involved believe the the cause they are fighting with thier bosses has some king of religious empathy – ie its a religious victory of some sorts.

I’m not sure this applies just to religion – it probably applies to any grouping. See the recent discussions on car-bike interfaces and how happy people are when they discovered that the policeman/boss is a cyclist.

wwaswas

If you’re this outraged Kryton why did you not challenge them there and then?

The other passengers always enjoy a bit of banter about religious intolerance on the morning train.

Kryton57

Lifer – Member
    This is ridiculous.

Maybe in your opinion. Going back to the original post I made, I’m unconfortable with the fact that the bloke standing next to me would (without knowing me) consider me a heathen based on my religious background.

I find that close minded and unintelligent.

Nobby

@ wwaswas

Shocked is not the same as outraged.

binners

Its the price we have to pay I’m afraid, for said liberal democracy. On balance, I think its a good deal. I’m certainly prepared to live with it

Remember; the best thing to do with extremists of any sort is to point a them and laugh loudly at their preposterous self-importance. They don’t usually like that kind of thing

Kryton57

wwaswas – Member
    If you’re this outraged Kryton why did you not challenge them their and then?

There were people already fighting over space on the train, there was no need to start another fight. Anyway I didnt say I was outraged.

Kryton57

binners – Member

Its the price we have to pay, I’m afraid for said liberal democracy. On balance, I think its a good deal. I’m certainly prepared to live with it

Is it binners? How far would you let extremeist actions go before you became uncomfortable?

hels
    Free Member

And this is why you shouldn’t read other people’s texts. It could have been a running joke from last night, all in jest etc. I text mad stuff to people all the time.

What is really shocking tho, is the big fat guy sitting across from me on the bus this morning (who I already hate as he takes up BOTH front seats, the primo seats, and he smells) put one of his phones down on the shelf at the frontto answer the other one, AND HE WAS WATCHING DODGY ADULT MOVIES. ON THE BUS.

Now that’s just gross and wrong and sad and eeuw.

But now I understand why he always picks that front seat with so little leg room in spite of his huge size, nobody sitting in front or behind him to see what he is up to. Double eeuw gross gross gross etc

crikey
    Free Member

Good grief.

Surely the whole point of being in an exclusive Abrahamic style religion is that you think your religion is the one true way and everyone else is a heathen unbeliever, so the obvious thing to do is aim to get one over on them?

It’s not exactly the Crusades, is it?

Best avoid any football related conversations in future too…

wwaswas

There were people already fighting over space on the train, there was no need to start another fight.

Nothing unites people like picking on a minority over a percieved injustice – they may have stopped their petty squabbling and all given the bloke you objected to a kicking for using the word heathen in a private message to a freind and offending someone who was reading it?

Lifer
    Free Member

Did you read the whole conversation or were did you just freeze out of fear of extremism after reading that phrase?

Lifer
    Free Member

I find that close minded and unintelligent.

That’s religion for you.

sputnik
    Free Member

Wonder what the said person would have thought if he looked over your shoulder and saw your incoming txt saying ” don’t worry, just own the r@ghead with Bombers”…

Kryton57

Lifer – Member
    Did you read the whole conversation or were did you just freeze out of fear of extremism after reading that phrase?

If your point Lifer is just to start offending people directly then please calm down.

It’d be prefereable for you to contribute intelligent opinion to the subject.

iDave
    Free Member

I’m unconfortable with the fact that the bloke standing next to me would (without knowing me) consider me a heathen based on my religious background.

A Christian would also consider you a heathen, unless you share their faith in god, jesus etc.

Lifer
    Free Member

Perhaps you could answer? Did you see the context?

binners

To be honest, if it were left up to me, the people who preach extreme Islamism/Sharia Law etcas the true way, should be handed a list of ‘Islamic’ countries and told to take their pick of which one they fancy? Then bought a ticket for the following days first flight. I believe Iran is nice this time of year. Unless you want to express an opinion on anything. In which case, they get a bit shirty

Oh…. In the interests of balance, I’d ship all creationists to shitsville Idaho too

zilog6128

If you think you have seen something suspicious or you are unsure about somebody’s activities or behaviour, however insignificant it may seem at the time, call the confidential Anti-Terrorist hotline on 0800 789 321.

I had someone try to convert me to islam recently.

He failed.

DezB
    Free Member

Dictionary:

heathen
    adjective /?hi?.ð?n/ old use: disapproving
    Definition
    (of people or their way of life, activities and ideas) having no religion, or belonging to a religion that is not Christianity, Judaism or Islam

So it was nonsense. Unusual for a text message that.

Lifer
    Free Member

How do you know the texter was Muslim?

johnners
    Free Member

I believe Iran is nice this time of year

Why do you believe that? It’s bloody freezing.

SamCooke
    Free Member

Choice of snacks in the vending machine. Probably

No pork scratchings, then?

??? Why not pork scratchings?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

binners – Member

Oh…. In the interests of balance, I’d ship all creationists to shitsville Idaho too

🙂

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Kryton, you sir are a bigot a racist, sexist, ageist, Northernist [though you cant tell who are and arent] Northern.
    and you cant fold tents. 😛

wwaswas

Why do you believe that? It’s bloody freezing.

I think the whole point with belief is that it doesn’t have to coincide with any actual facts in order to be held both firmly and fervently.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘I was pretty shocked this morning… (religious content)’ is closed to new replies.