Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • I want an Anthem X4 but is the shock up to it?
  • mcboo
    Free Member

I've come to the conclusion that I am way over-biked on a 5" Blur LT, think I'm going to sell the frame, get an Anthem X4 via cycle2work, strip all the bits off, build a bike for my wife with them and build up the Giant with my Gucci parts from the Blur.

I want a really firm riding XC susser for flat out summer singletrack. From what I read, the Giant is the right frame. The X4 comes with Fox Float R shock, which is entry level and doesnt have propedal I dont think. I ride with propedal on the Blur pretty much all the time which reflects the fact I dont need/want all that travel. If I pump the shock up nice and firm am I going to be happy enough without propedal dampening? I know one of the big plus the Anthem gets is the frame just doesnt bob around so I'm hoping it will be pretty good.

Trying to avoid a false economy here as I can always buy a frame only with RP23 but the X4 looks like tremendous value.

DeeJay
    Free Member

X3 here and I have'nt used the propedal – be prepared for some pedal strikes though till you get your brain dialled

nuke

Fox Float R shock, which is entry level and doesnt have propedal I dont think

iirc it does…its just factory set and not adjustable

Swalsey
    Free Member

The suspension design on Giants is very good for pedalling efficiency – I've ridden them. The shock is custom tuned for Giant, and IIRC the Giant rep (I worked for a bike shop) said they would run without any pro-pedal if the shock was available, such is their belief in the efficiency. Also, I wouldn't bother putting more pressure in than what you need for the right amount of sag – IMO it defies the point of rear suspension. I think it's best to let it give you the extra grip and comfort, or ride a hard tail!

mcboo
    Free Member

iirc it does…its just factory set and not adjustable

I can't see that anywhere on the Fox site, you can compare them.

I'm trying not to be too precious about this but I would like to hear from any of you who maybe had the same concern about the X4 but have ridden and are happy with.

mcboo
    Free Member

Thanks…..I do take the point about letting the suspension do its job and I will, I just dont want to be wallowing around on it, I'd be better off sticking with what I have.

nuke

From Fox website…

Factory pre-set ProPedal enhances pedaling efficiency making FLOAT R the perfect combination of simplicity, durability and performance.

Can't you get a test ride on one…Giant is a big brand, there must be quite a few bike shops with test bikes.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I haven't thought that I need propedal on my '07 trance. even on steep climbs.

starseven
    Free Member

Float r has a sticker on the side saying pro pedal set in medium. Its pretty much the same as the other models but less adjustment.

Anthem has a low BB and will strike.

One bike cant be perfect for everything but a anthem x probably comes closest if you ride 75% xc and 25% trails.

chakaping
    Free Member

I had the basic Float R on my Trance (almost the same travel & sus system), with propedal permanently set on medium.

Was quite happy with it, but had it PUSHed when it was being serviced and then realised it had been plunging into the midstroke a bit quickly.

You could always do that later if you feel you need to.

mcboo
    Free Member

One bike cant be perfect for everything but a anthem x probably comes closest if you ride 75% xc and 25% trails.

Yep, I have a Ti456 with 140m 15QR Talas which I have been taking on big weekends in the Lakes, Spain with lots of climbing. The Blur has been a bit surplus to requirements but I still want something fast and racey for the summer. Sounds like the Foat R will be just fine. Thanks

batman11
    Free Member

Your only other big issue is finding one as giant have sold out of all X4 except sml i belive good hunting.
    Batman11.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘I want an Anthem X4 but is the shock up to it?’ is closed to new replies.