Viewing 27 posts - 121 through 147 (of 147 total)
  • I want a private reg (poor scorn upon me)…
  • smiffy

A while ago I saw a Volkswagen 411E with reg AVW 411E. Pretty subtle, probably only the occasional air-cooled nerd like me spotted it. There is a well known B33 TLE that you see at the shows, but I think it’s naughty because the index is newer than the car?

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

I saw a car just tonight with the plate SD0 5AND (spaced like this) which made me think of this thread.

It had to be an XKCD reference right? If so, it’s the geekiest number plate I think I have ever seen.

stevio

i’ve had 911 OMN since i was 21 but it’s never got past a run of Fiesta Mk2/Renault 4GT/Rover 214/Pug 405/Honda Civic Est/Cacky Citroens and now Honda Civic Tourer. i’m only 50 so there’s hope yet!!!

And a mate had MAN 51 L and sold it to Mansell for £500 when he lived on the Isle of Man

tenfoot

I saw TE51A NO on a Tesla Model S this morning, spaced as I’ve typed it. Looked pretty crap I thought.

JulianA
    Free Member

I thought LAM 130 and 5 AAB were OK on a Lamborghini and a Saab respectively…

I have H151 LAD for sale (seriously) if anyone’s interested…

globalti
    Free Member

I used to ski tour with a UIAGM guide who had a Sierra Cossie with H1 4LPS, the 4 being canted to look even more like an A.

tjagain

I sold RRJ749 off my motorcyle and spent 3 months in south america from the proceeds. I just checked the DVLA site and its now on a 10 year old merc.

epicyclo

We had a highly embarrassing incident where my wife tried to break into a stranger’s identical Volvo in a shopping centre carpark because she thought it was ours – even got some passersby to help her. The key wouldn’t work apparently.

Ours was parked the next pillar down. 🙂

She never remembers number plates so I got one she could remember – starting with S80 and part of our surname.

When we got the next one, it quickly acquired a couple of gouges in the front bumper. I’ve left them there – better identification than a number plate.

(She’s not dumb, just cars aren’t important to her).

MartynS

I’ve just seen a black Audi estate, reg
    E7 STW

Come on, which one of you is it!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I thought LAM 130 and 5 AAB were OK on a Lamborghini and a Saab respectively…

saw a few that worked in the US

QUICK AG and
    AG BULLET

both on silver Saab turbos.

WOT HO
    on a Morgan

R U N V S
    on a Boxster cabrio driven by a stunning blonde sorority girl

and, surely acceptable here

FATTIRE
    on a pick-up with a flatbed full of nice bikes in a race car park.

In the UK I’ve seen a few on Aston Martins, usually along the lines of V12 AML.

NZCol

I had 9I1 on my 911/993 when i was in NZ. Hate me for that, i sold the plate and the car sadly. I’d never have a private plate again though.

jam-bo

I just saw A1 BNW on a 5 series.

vinnyeh

Two local cars- W4WKA on an Audi and A4SOL on I think a Merc

freeagent
    Free Member

Agree with the general consensus – OK if they relate to the car, but progressively more w*nky if they spell names/are butchered to try and spell names.

Few good ones I’ve seen –

TUR80 on a Porsche 911 Turbo
    C4GED in a really neat Mk2 golf with serious roll cage.
    TD5 1BEX on a Foers Ibex with Landrover Td5 engine.

Personally I’d only buy one if it related to the car.. and it would be pretty low on the list of priorities.

Rockape63
    Free Member

TUR80 on a Porsche 911 Turbo

Nice! The sort of plate I’d have had on my 911 turbo when in my 20’s or 30’s….but only in my dreams!

kayla1
    Free Member

If you’ve got money to waste on a vanity plate, don’t waste it, give it to charity or a person in greater need than you instead.

newrobdob
    Free Member

If you’ve got money to waste on a vanity plate, don’t waste it, give it to charity or a person in greater need than you instead.

There’s always one,… 🙄

kayla1
    Free Member

Always one what? Not a narcissistic ****? Not a selfish ****? Do elaborate.

CountZero

stumpy01
    But it’s just a bit…..pointless.
    You either know it’s a 250GTO, or you don’t.
    If you know, then you don’t need telling with a number plate. If you don’t know, then you probably don’t care if it’s a 250GTO or a Nissan 350Z.

Many things are, but you’ve already made the point, if you know, and are interested in exotic rare cars, then there is a point, if not, then there isn’t.
    If, like Nick Mason, you can afford to have an extensive collection of cars, a significant number of them Ferrari and a couple of those 250 GTO’s, you’ve owned one of them, the one pictured, for forty years, and it carries its model number as its number plate, then why not? Those cars were built as racing cars, that particular one for the Belgian Ferrari team, and carries no model number, neither does his 250 built for the Panamerican rally, that carries the registration 250 WMM. He’s also got an F150 with the plate F150 OK, a Jaguar XK D-Type, reg XKD 1, an Alfa 8C with the plate CNN 8C. He’s also got a racing Ferrari 365 GTB/4 registration NPA16L, so he’s clearly not too fussed, but if the plate is appropriate to the age and model of the car, then why the hell not? None of those cars are going to be separated from their registration, and the 250GTO plate would be worth a fortune to anyone who’s lucky enough to own one, and if you can afford a £30-40 million car, you can afford the plate. If the owner was prepared to sell…
    In these cases, if you know what the car is, you look and think “lucky git!”, if you don’t, you think, “nice car” and leave it at that.
    And if you’re Nick Mason, drummer with Pink Floyd, I’m sure he doesn’t give a toss what you, or anyone else, thinks about the number plates on his vastly expensive collection of rare cars.
    He can, after all, afford to stuff his McLaren F1 into the tyre wall at Goodwood doing a demo lap, and not be to bothered about having the front end ripped off.

jimjam
    Free Member

kayla1 – Member

sent via nokia 3210

davosaurusrex

johndoh – you owe Viz comic £5

CountZero

I saw a plate today that made me smile, once it dawned on me what the significance was, wooden spoon winner in the uptake stakes, me.
    Anyway, it was MX54 JOY; nothing significant in that, then it clicked, it was on an MX5.
    I’ll leave it hanging just to see if anyone else twigs quicker than I did, I followed the damn thing for seven or eight miles…

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Today I saw a plate SPY 1 on an Audi A5. That plate must have cost quite a few pounds….

Probably better placed on a James Bond car like an Aston but looked pretty cool!

jimjam
    Free Member

Probably someone at MI5.

tomhoward

Seen

M155 MY X

On an X5 a couple of times, oddly in totally different parts of the county. Can’t decide if it’s clever or deeply tragic.

NZCol

Was looking at a Veyron with F1 as the plate.

nstpaul

Had V8 0 MTM on my MTM tuned Audi RS6 C5 years ago which is a bit geek really.
    Mate has F8 OND on his Aston Martin Vantage, says Frank is James’ shorter,fatter,uglier brother.

Don’t have a private plate on my 16 year old Kangoo Trekka though as even a cheap plate would probably double its value

Viewing 27 posts - 121 through 147 (of 147 total)

The topic ‘I want a private reg (poor scorn upon me)…’ is closed to new replies.