Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • I think I'll organise a STW southern 'gravel bike /CX ride'.. Any takers?
  • DrP

I’d probably better justify my purchase of a tripster atr with a nice big ride, and feel that the Brighton-london-brighton route would be PERFECT for all our new gravel/CX bikes!

Is a great route – about 60 miles on road following the BHF route (but in reverse – from coast to city), then taking the off road route back.

All in its about 135 miles. A nice worthwhile day out by anyone’s book!

Plenty of food and drink opportunities on the way, so no need to be loaded to the gills.

The plan would be to meet at brighton pier nice and early – something like 0730, and head I from there.

Ride time would (clearly) depend on the group’s fitness and luck. When I did it, I was on a much slower bike than the tripster/CX bike could be, and stopped for coffee and snacks etc, and it took about 11 1/2 hours IIRC.

It would be a great day out, and would finish with food in brighton too (pizza is great post ride grub!).

I’m looking at the 12th of July for this big day out..I know it’s only a few weeks away, but hopefully well have some takers.

For those who would find getting to brighton that early a struggle (if you live away etc) then message me – my house is humble, but sure I could try to find some floor space/tent space somewhere!

Anyway,
    It feels like it’s been ages since I organised a ride on here, so anyone interested??

DrP

tthew

Damn, if only I lived 200 miles further south, that sounds like a great plan.

tobymc

Good idea, I’d be up for that but for Dunwich Dynamo duties later in the day.
    Good luck!

Andy

Sorry Pidge – in the Quantocks that weekend 🙁

DrP

I know.. Don’t think I could take the whole weekend off for quantocks, but wanted to do something!

DrP

DrP

Would the following week – the 19th, suit people better???.

DrP

Drac

Brighton is a bit far for me. 😀

muggomagic

Sounds like a great idea. Just need to buy a CX bike now.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ida done it but I’m away until 27th July.. Don’t suppose you’d considered dates later than the 19th???

tobymc

…or even early august?

DrP

I knew this would happen…!

I could do early august… But I’ll see what response comes to these dates..

DrP

tobymc

Inevitable!
    I’ll keep an eye on how this develops.
    Cheers for now….

rOcKeTdOg

Mtb ok for this or do CX bikes only work on gravel?

DrP

Any bike will do! But in reality a cross bike would be better than mtb…

DrP

adsh
    Free Member

Why the tarmac?

nemesis
    Free Member

I’d be on for meeting you at half way and riding back 🙂

(not really, sorry!)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Early Aug fine with me.. 😀

DrP

Soo….
    Lets see what commitment we can get to 2nd August…

DrP

bikebouy
    Free Member

i’m in 😀

DrP

Great.
    So just to clarify…

SATURDAY 2nd AUGUST IS THE DATE

It’s in my diary, and woe on anyone who tries to delete or edit it… 😉

Still keen to meet at Brighton pier for 0730 too.

Share this amongst your nearest and dearest, and I’ll email interested parties with updates, guiding costs etc (kidding…!)

DrP

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Consider me interested.

DrP

Why the tarmac?

Erm, hmmm, yeah…

DrP

adsh
    Free Member

I thought the off road was 60 which if it was gravel wouldn’t be out of the question as a double. Now I’ve done the maths and see it’s 75 I understand 🙂

What is the road bit of that like?

DrP

The road bit is actually a lovely route – goes up over Ditchling out of Brighton, then through some Sussex villages, through some nice rape field areas, then crosses the m25 into the posh bits of Surrey… Jaw dropping houses etc!
    Nice and gentle hills, and a great start to a ride.
    Will then cut through london from Clapham to Roehampton uni, then take the off road route back.

Doing the off-road route as a double would be doable, but I’d wanted to link both routes as a circular.

Come and join us!

DrP

corroded
    Free Member

Sounds like a grand day out and perfect for my Stoater. I’ve been taking it on and off the Downs. However having spent the last few weekends in the office I’ve lost what meagre fitness I had, so an August date is good!

senorj

Very tempting…my boy’s birthday on the Sunday tho’….hmm…..

flybywire
    Free Member

it’s in the diary .. be great to do this sort of route. Is there a dress/jersey code? 🙂

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Tempted, if I can find a CX bike in time!

DrP

Is there a dress/jersey code?

I wouldn’t ask me about appropriate (or innapropriate) bikewear…!

I’d just wear what you’re comfortable with TBH! baggies and peaks will be allowed, but just bear in mind there’s reasons why people don’t wear them (flappy annoyingness on long distances)

DrP

birdage

Damn that would have been perfect. Just been invited to a wedding that day I was cheerfully not invited to. Got to plan a way out………..

Yak

Ooooh – looks good, but can’t make it. Have a good day everyone.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Probably 65 miles too far for me on a SS CX.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve pencilled it in!

Not sure if I can do 100+ miles without my arse falling off, or just going to sleep, but I’m hoping to join in 😀

Would you be riding at our pace, or your pace??

bikebouy
    Free Member

Excellent, in my diary.

Really looking forward to it..

Picking my bike up tomorrow night too!!!

I’m so excited I could air punch in the office, but I’m not going to 😀

DrP

Rich – could meet up up in London and ride back?

Glad I’ve strummed up some enthusiasm for this 🙂

DrP

pictonroad

You KILLED me in 40 miles, no way on Earth I’d keep up with you for 130, this one’s for the real men.

soma_rich
    Free Member

ooh thats an idea then I could just ride my 29er with some skinny tyres…

Where in London are you heading?

nedrapier

It’s all up there on page 1, including a link to the last thread, with pictures of, and links to the route and gpx tracks.

Great idea, DrP, good of you to post an open invite, too. I’m keen on some or all, but there’s a few things that might get in the way on the 2nd. Better than any of the previous alternatives, though!

Hope to see you at some point on the 2nd.

nedrapier

pictonroad – Member
    You KILLED me in 40 miles

And if I’ve got the right guy, he’s one of the few (or the only?) to put his hand up to clearing all of the hills on the SSUK13. I’m sure he’ll be accomodating here, though. 🙂

On the other hand, there’s only so slow you can go and still do 135 miles in a day!

DrP

It’ll be a fun ride, rather than a race! Plenty of social interaction expected (though sure the chatting will get less towards the 125th mile!)

Rich – Meet at Roehampton uni for the start leg of the off-road section…
    See teh .gpx on my blog/email me 🙂

DrP

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘I think I'll organise a STW southern 'gravel bike /CX ride'.. Any takers?’ is closed to new replies.