Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • I think i need a single speed
  • simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

Iv just moved down to surry which although not flat hasnt got many steep climbs. I dont really want to change much about my bike i like the way it is now but the winters coming and drive trains are expensive.

I think im going to have to run a tensioner but i know there are alternatives out there i just wondered if anyone could recommend me anything.

I have never run a SS so any advice is good !

1/8 th ?
    3/32 th ?

vdubber67
    Free Member

There was a good Surly article a while back on this, but a quick google revealed this…

http://bicycle-types.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_build_a_single_speed_mountain_bike

Much of the info in there seems pretty spot on.

🙂

bassspine
    Free Member

there's a place for people like you

Olly
    Free Member

remove gears

get a simple conversion kit: tensioner, spacers, steel cog with tall teeth.

Go!

you can use a normal 32t chainring, an old one, or the one thats there already.
    might as well! theyre cheap enough!

if its proper flat like, a 16t may be a bit spinny, but its a good place to start, and is normally the one that comes with the kits.
    replacement sprockets are about 2 or 3 quid for a cheap pressed out one, availible in all sizes APART from 17t (for no apparent reason, they are only availible in 20 quid versions)

easiest way to check, is to go for a few rides without changing gear!

the inner ring can be removed, but you will need ether short chainring bolts or a bashring for the middlering

do it!

shortcut

i do a lot of riding in surrey and you can get around most of it quite happily on 2 to 1 (although I am running slightly lower at 33×17).

You just need to be able to both spin and slog.

I am not convinced that a singlespeed as an only bike in surrey is entirely appropriate and Surrey hills are not that hard on drive trains.

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

Your right there not hard on drive trains but its winter soon and im lazy so a set up I can just run all winter without worrying is appealing.

And after the riding in the rain a couple of weeks im starting to see how bad the tracks will get

shortcut

SLR – tracks not that bad if you know where to go you can avoid the worst.

Having said that I am planning to spend a lot of the winter on the singlespeed.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘I think i need a single speed’ is closed to new replies.