Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • I seem to have defaulted to be a Roadie…
  • Kryton57

:-/

I thought the dry trails would have me whooping with joy on the full suss. But no, my evenings are full of Giro and my day re planned to hit the road.

Please tell me I’m not the only one….

giantx4
    Free Member

No… U bring shame on us.. Wake up & smell the coffee sir… Roads are dull…. Trails are fantastico! :))

Bregante

You’re not the only one. Time is the biggest limiting factor in my case. Roads are near. Trails are far….. 🙁

giantx4
    Free Member

Surely theres always a trail near… Just gotta find em?

Bregante

Nope. Dull as dishwater.

Edit; don’t get me wrong, there is loads within an hours drive but adding a couple of hours to a ride does not make for a happy home at the mo. with the road bike a two/three hour ride is exactly that. Two or three hours, done and dusted.

giantx4
    Free Member

Roads?

Kryton57

I’ve not got that excuse, my trails are 20 minutes ride away….

giantx4
    Free Member

Ye but thats a nice 20min warmup before the lovely trail?… Id love to continue the debate but,very sadly, i must go to work… Each to their own i guess,but roads are dull u gotta admit?.. 🙂

crazy-legs

I’ve not got that excuse, my trails are 20 minutes ride away….

My trails are about 2 minutes ride away yet I still do almost all my riding on road.
    Actually, I use the CX bike a lot but that is for mixed road/trail rides.

Bregante

In fact, I’ve actually run more miles this year than I have done on my bike. (ironically, on the aforementioned dull trails)

I’m sorry. 😳

chief9000
    Free Member

Several people have said that roads are dull. While they may be where you live, they are not in all places. So I would rephrase and say something like ” where I live the roads are dull”.

Bregante

Agreed. Some lovely roadage within easy reach for me around Cheshire.

cubicboy
    Free Member

As some of the others have said, for those with very little time, road riding is an inviting option. I have a family, so I’m rationed to four hours on Saturday morning (which is quite generous). I live in Nottingham, so Hope Valley is 1hr20 to get there and kitted up giving me just over an hour to ride… hardly worth it. Alternatively, I just pop on my road gear and I’m away on a four hour ride. No, it’s not exciting, but at least I’m riding… I actually love it.

RoterStern
    Free Member

When the weather is nice I actually prefer going out on the road bike. When the weather is crap then I get out on the MTB. Does that make me a wrong ”un?

sputnik
    Free Member

Same here! Done 2300 miles since the beginning of the year of which 15 miles was on my MTB.
    Don’t find road boring at all, live 15 minutes from Box Hill which I ride up beginning and end of my ride with the beautiful Surrey lanes to bulk up the ride’s middle part.
    Every now and then I plan to do a MTB ride but then it mysteriously starts to rain for a day or two!

kayak23

It’s not the lack of sweet hips and kickers and berms that put me off road riding,, it’s the never ending supply of people in cars trying their best to kill you. That isn’t fun, and for that reason , I’m out.

bol

Glad it’s not just me. I’ve lost the will to ride the same local trails over and over again. I love mountainbiking, but road is so much less of a faff when you’re short of time and a cross bike is more of a challenge on the local stuff.

I’m looking at a house right across the road from my favourite local cheekies this afternoon, so maybe a move would help me re-find my MTB mojo.

Alex

Not me. Commuting it was fine, had a purpose. Since I stopped that not ridden my road bike for 18 momths. Am doing 100k tomorrow apparently on wiggle wye valley sportive. Be happy to get out alive. agree with crazy tho, cross bikes ROCK. Fast way to get to and from dirt trails, great fun while you’re there.

Check out the classifieds tomorrow night for a nice Carbon boardman road bike for sale. Unless I’ve set fire to it first.

Kryton57

Stop it! Your tempting me to a Crosser!

r17anm
    Free Member

I wish i could open my front door and go mountain biking but cant so end up on the road a lot recently.
    I also seem to take ages to get my mtb kit together nowadays ( mo kit mo problems ) and no matter how early i try and start it always ends up taking up a whole day.

mattbibbings
    Free Member

I have not been able to ride my MTB for over a year since smashing both my wrists so its been skinny tyres all the way for me. I even did 1000 miles on my turbo in my cellar during last summer in the early days of the injuries (leaning on elbow rests).

I’m hoping to get back on the MTB soon (maybe even today, maybe).

Whatever you reason though, riding is riding so just give in and call yourself a cyclist.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I’ll be out on the road bike later & again tomorrow.
    It’s great getting out on the mountain bike but it means a car journey.The roadie stuff is straight out the door onto lovely quiet country lanes.
    Sod all this 26″,650b.29er mullarky my next bikes CX!

mintimperial

Still doing quite a bit of MTB but I have to confess that when it’s been weeing it down for ages like today I find it much easier to just jump on the road bike and get some dry miles in instead.

It was lovely off road the other week though, when everything dried out for our annual five day long summer, can’t wait till next April!

giantx4
    Free Member

Haha!.. Indeed!… Reading these roadie type posts i almost feel an urge to try one of these skinny machines!?…have i been missing something all these years??!!

tcairns
    Free Member

Welcome to the dark side……

chico
    Free Member

I Have dabbled in the dark side actually enjoying it. no traveling for over an hour each way to hills, no filthy bike to clean when I get home. No kit covered in thick mud and grit. On the down side I have been knocked of by a car resulting in 18 days in hospital and being told ill not be walking for at about 6 months. I will defo be getting back on the MTB not sure about road yet as lost my MoJo.

giantx4
    Free Member

No!… I cant!…. You’re all trying to trick me…

giantx4
    Free Member

titusrider
    Free Member

Done alot of road this year due to poor winter and training for LEJOG finished that last weekend and have no desire to even build up my road bike for quite some time! Mtb is coming back out for the rest of the summer

bikebouy
    Free Member

OP, it comes to you all at some point in your life.
    Embrace it, live it, love it, die on it.

sputnik
    Free Member

Believe it or not, I’m just back from a 15 mile local ride. Was fun in a hillbilly way 🙂 That would make it my 2nd MTB ride all year.
    Having some choc chip cookies now and then heading out for 40 miles on the road.

giantx4
    Free Member

Aaarrrgghhhhhh! 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

I could not imagine giving up either tbh
    I tend to ride more MTB these days but sometimes when the sun is shining I just want to get out on the road bike and I do without guilt

It is bikes, it is all good

smogmonster

OP, yep im in the same boat, having done a grand total of 250 miles offroad, but 20 times that on the road in the last 18 months. Same reasons as well, its easier to squeeze in a road ride than the faff of packing the mtb in the car, driving to the nearest trails worth riding (20 minutes or so), get the bike out, get your shit together, and repeat on the way back, thats 1 1/2 hrs wasted, not to mention the 4 or 5 hours needed to get some decent miles in. Compare that to riding from the front door on the road bike and its no contest these days…

_tom_
    Free Member

I ride my road bike every day and the mtb maybe once every week or two depending what I’m working and whether I can be arsed with driving to some good trails. Bmx gets more use than the mtb as well as we have loads of good skateparks around here. Not really sure why I’m building up another mtb to be honest 😕 I suppose I keep telling myself that if i get a light hardtail then I’ll be more likely to ride local stuff (main bike is a dh/fr full sus) but I know when it comes down to it I’ll be more likely to say to myself “actually I’ll just go out on the roadie instead, it’ll be less of a boring slog and better exercise.”

sefton
    Free Member

yup me too. i only seem to race mtb.rest of time im on the road or cyclocross.its just so slow, i cant deal with it unless its a social ride or a race. not into tech stuff. but i do miss the views you take in on the mtb. i miss the lakes.

nuke

Absolutely zero interest in riding on the road…I see it as a failing of my route planning if I even need to ride on the road to connect sections of offroad. The reason is because its the countryside I want and not the cycling: I love the countryside and if I couldn’t ride in the countryside, I’d walk/run in the countryside instead rather than taking up road cycling.

It’s not the lack of sweet hips and kickers and berms that put me off road riding,, it’s the never ending supply of people in cars trying their best to kill you. That isn’t fun, and for that reason , I’m out.

+ 1

globalti
    Free Member

I had 22 years of brilliant fun being an obsessed mountain biker. Did Polarises and loads of night rding and had a ball. Now I’ve lost interest in the mud and the constant attrition on kit and gone for the greater fitness and more subtle pleasures of the road. It definitely helps that I live on the edge of a huge empty area called the Ribble Valley and the Bowland Fells; if I lived in a town it might be different.

stanfree
    Free Member

Same here my YTD miles are 1177 and of those only about 180 off those are on mountainbikes. Just cant be arsed with having to clean my mountain bike for the sake of a muddy 15 mile trudge in dodgy weather. Even when the weather is not great my road bike and clothes never get that filthy. Its also great for building stamina as well.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

it’s the never ending supply of people in cars trying their best to kill you. That isn’t fun, and for that reason , I’m out

+ 1

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘I seem to have defaulted to be a Roadie…’ is closed to new replies.