Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • I R teh Sustranser (Warning: "look at me" content)
  • GrahamS

As some will know, in the past I have waxed lyrical on here about my lovely bike commute and the benefits of Traffic-free Segregated Cycle Routes.

On the back of that (and some suitable poking by someone on here) I started donating to Sustrans.

Then last week, at a meeting of the Newcastle Cycle Campaign, I met the new Sustrans Network Manager for this area and decided that, having put my money where my mouth was, I should now put my time where my money was.

So yeah, as of about 5 minutes ago, I’m Northumberland’s newest Sustrans Volunteer Ranger.

(High-viz cagoule and officious clipboard are in the post apparently)

Dib dib dib (or whatever). 😀

Dickyboy

Congratumalations 🙂

woody2000

You’ve just inspired me to get in touch with my local Sustrans group to offer my services too 🙂

GrahamS

Fantastic. Nice one woody! 😀

It was bizarrely official. Proper application form and mini-interview, but my contact with them so far confirms my suspicions that they are nice decent folk doing what they can.

I used to be a Sustrans Ranger, then sort of gave up.
    I ought to do it again really as I cycle along Route 45 on my commute.

GrahamS

I ought to do it again really as I cycle along Route 45 on my commute.

That was pretty much my thinking. The main commitment seems to be to cycle the route at least once a month and report any problems.

Well I cycle my local route at least twice a week anyway, so simply redirecting my moaning to Sustrans (instead of grumbling here) doesn’t seem to onerous a job 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

our loss is societys gain

Good man

matt_outandabout

Right, who can we sort to hide in the bushes and jump out in him?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Hora?
    TJ?
    Ton and some fist pie?

Pukeko
    Free Member

Whats your local route? .. ok, see your route :-)I do much of same route but kich south on Keelmans and down to TVly

miketually
    Free Member

at a meeting of the Newcastle Cycle Campaign

Do you know Karl and Tom?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I met the new Sustrans Network Manager for this area

James A? Or is he doing someting different now?

So are you getting in touch with Tynedale Cycling folks then? How do we get an on-road, and off-road (by the river) path from Hexham to Corbridge (and beyond)?

singletracked
    Free Member

Excellent! I saw a dogshit on the Route 72 this morning, will you go clear it up please?

GrahamS

Whats your local route? .. ok, see your route :-)I do much of same route but kich south on Keelmans and down to TVly

Well, from what the nice Sustrans bloke said today they are looking for volunteers across the area… 🙂

KarlOnSea? and TyneTom?

Recognise the names from facebook and twitter – but last week was the first chance I’ve had to go to the pub after a meeting and have a proper natter. Met Tom, but don’t think Karl was there.

James A? Or is he doing someting different now?

He has moved on. New guy is TyneTom (aka Tom Bailey)

So are you getting in touch with Tynedale Cycling folks then? How do we get an on-road, and off-road (by the river) path from Hexham to Corbridge (and beyond)?

I’m just a lowly foot soldier – not even got my Sustrans info pack yet! – but off the top of my head I’d suggest getting in contact with Sustrans North East as a start and also allying yourselves with other established campaign groups like the Newcastle Cycle Campaign.

Excellent! I saw a dogshit on the Route 72 this morning, will you go clear it up please?

Sorry, that wasn’t a dog. I was marking my new territory.

singletracked
    Free Member

Sorry, that wasn’t a dog. I was marking my new territory.

Damn, I was hoping to trick you ‘cos actually I’d picked it up and put it in my pocket! Hah! I’d have been laughing if you had gone out looking for it.

GrahamS

I’d picked it up and put it in my pocket!

Euuuuuuggh… after it had been on the ground? It’ll be all mucky.

singletracked
    Free Member

2nd
    Rule

GrahamS

Ah yes. I believe you have to wipe it on your jacket and say “God kiss’tit, de’il miss’tit” three times for that to work 😀

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Graham – ygm…

miketually
    Free Member

KarlOnSea? and TyneTom?

Recognise the names from facebook and twitter – but last week was the first chance I’ve had to go to the pub after a meeting and have a proper natter. Met Tom, but don’t think Karl was there.

They’re the chaps.

GrahamS

Aye just spotted you chatting to them on twatter.

(Really probably should get myself an account, rather than just lurking, but then this place is more than enough of a drain on my productivity!)

project
    Free Member

Also a volunteer ranger for Sustrans, great when we do info days at the local cycling events,nice people we meet etc, and even better when cuttin back errant vegetation, just pack a pair of seceturs in your pack.

miketually
    Free Member

(Really probably should get myself an account, rather than just lurking, but then this place is more than enough of a drain on my productivity!)

Since finding Twitter, I post here a lot less.

GrahamS

Hmm… at least I know who the main nutters are here mike..
    I suspect on twitter I’d spend 99% of my time shouting at random strangers, starting with all of the aggressive morons on @CycleHatred.

Pook

Hora would say he was going to be the ranger, then on the morning of him being scheduled to do it, he’d email a crap excuse and go and do something else.

CountZero

Since Wiltshire Council ran a hedge trimmer along the main section I look after, I’m not going to have much to deal with until next spring.
    Then it’s a return to the annual battle with the bastard brambles and briars.

konabunny
    Free Member

The first rule of Newcastle Cycle Campaign…

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘I R teh Sustranser (Warning: "look at me" content)’ is closed to new replies.