Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • i need to get fit(ter)……. help!
  • alpin
    Free Member

i've just found out which tour i will be guiding over the summer.

i had originally thought i'd be guiding one of the "beginner" transalps; covering 350-ish km and around 6000m of climbing in 6 days. it now transpires that i've got a "medium" route that covers 400km and 9000m of climbing in 6 days.

how can i get fit?

i'll be riding ~70km and 1800m a day. i'm guessing that after the first tour i'll be fit enough for the rest of the season.

the area around here is hilly, but not mountainous. if i ride 70km around here i'll be looking at 1200m of climbing, but all in relatively short bursts of 20-30 mins.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Head out right now into this bloody strong wind, that's training

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

any weight to lose?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I thought being fit would be part of getting the job in the first place? Even a week of high altitude riding isn't going to suddenly get you to the fitness you need to be, your body needs to condition and being able to recover quickly (the most important bit). You need to be looking at endurance type training not 20-30 min climbs. How long have you known about the job?

vinnyeh

Give up the weed and fags?

njee20
    Free Member

70k and 1200m climbing? Sounds pretty flat to me! Can you not find any more hilly routes than that?

Just go and ride lots, if you thought you'd be fine with the 'easy' the 'medium' isn't going to be too much of a step up!

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Just make every ride count. I've got some friends who just finished the Cape Epic (722km, 14635m climbing in 6 days) almost straight out of the cross season. They did a few 5-6 hour rides in the weekends leading up to it, but there are certainly no mountains here in the south east!

thomthumb
    Free Member

climbing is all about power to weight ratio.

so drop the weight or gain the power.

ride a lot – for endurance, do some weights for power – leg presses/ calf raises. drop some weight.

simples 😉

alpin
    Free Member

no weight loss as such. 71kg. could do with converting my belly insulation into muscle, but that takes effort and a reduction in shitty foods.

i've known about the job for ~6 weeks. i've another 6 to prepare.

i was thinking of finding a long hill and riding up it, then down, then back up, then back down and so on and so on…..

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Well hope it works for you. Nothing worse than waiting for a panting guide at the top of each climb – it's happened to a group I've been with. 😮

thomthumb
    Free Member

i was thinking of finding a long hill and riding up it, then down, then back up, then back down and so on and so on…..

hill repeats will help – they aren't much fun though.

you may want to take your heaviest bike and overload it. I have heard of roadies training with waterbottles full of wet sand etc…

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Cake, always take cake.

stevomcd
    Free Member

My summer fitness/weight loss plan is just kicking-in now as well. Or it would be if I hadn't just come down with man-flu.

alpin
    Free Member

i have no other option other than taking my heavy bike. the only bike i have is a heavy bike, 14.4kg.

is mile munching on the fixie worthwhile?

sofatester
    Free Member

Ride lots, eat less rubbish.

Next 😉

alpin
    Free Member

although, i'm quite happy to be riding a harder tour. it should mean that the 'guests' are a little fitter and more skilled technically so that i won't have to wait for the stragglers and that i can be a bit more of a hooligan on the way down.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

stevomcd – Member
    My summer fitness/weight loss plan is just kicking-in now as well. Or it would be if I hadn't just come down with man-flu.

We will be shutting down Helter Skelter and Veni, Vidi, Vici in August 8)

I think we need to do some timed runs 😆

qwerty
    Free Member

surely you'll gain the upper edge from having been riding at altitude where as your guest won't have ?

stevomcd
    Free Member

stevomcd – Member

We will be shutting down Helter Skelter and Veni, Vidi, Vici in August

I think we need to do some timed runs

All sorts of new stuff to unleash on you guys as well. Looking forward to it! :mrgreen:

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘i need to get fit(ter)……. help!’ is closed to new replies.