Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • I "need" a new bike part. What shall I buy?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Aww rats. Haven't bought any bike bits for ages save the odd consumable.
    The ting is, my bikes are working well and have been for ages. I don't need anything really, but I feel like I should spend some money and treat myself, but nothing too expensive.
    Yeah I need a new chain and one of my rear rims need replacing but where's the fun in that?

Suggestions?
    🙂

grumm
    Free Member

My Little Pony Bicycle Seat Cover, Streamer, Bell, and Bar Pad Fun Pack

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

NeoGuard

Best £14 I have spent in a while.

Jezkidd
    Free Member

Blinger seatclamp? Do vital areas of your bikes not bear the ledgend 'thomson'?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I've actually got a NeoGuard…..
    🙂

thepurist

How about one of those Lezyne alloy pumps? Shiney loveliness that actually works.

Taz

Do you have a 'gravity dropper style' seatpost?

Would not spec a bike without one now.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Grips are always good for an inexpensive spending spree. Have a bag full under the stairs but doesn't stop me buying more.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I've had bling seatclamps. I break them. My On-One one is the best I've used and the Spesh one on the Pitch is fine too.
    Pumps? – I've got a Topeak Mountain Morph. Simply the best trail pump in the world. Good suggestion though! 😀

See, this is the problem, Everything I have works pretty well or very well and didn't cost a bomb. I look at my bikes and can't really see what I can improve…..

Having said that, the Pitch needs a new headset.
    [**thinks for a second**]
    But I've got some half decent used headset bits in a bag in my toolbox which I should cobble together and use up first.

I've got a drawer full of spares that I've bought cheap, been given or cadged: Loads of chainrings, mechs in various states, couple of stems, saddles, handlebars, tyres, 6 spare wheels (I'm set up for wheels for years at the minute) and even a full set of fully functioning Magura Louises FFS!

Bugger.
    Is this some sort of bicycle nirvana, or is it hell?

MisterT

White grips – go-on you know you want them!
    lovely..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Do you have a 'gravity dropper style' seatpost?

Would not spec a bike without one now.

Agreed. They are brilliant. If I rode the Alps more often, I'd get one now for the Pitch. But at the current prices I'll hang on for a bit, being as the Pitch hasn't been used since mid June…..

Who makes decent headsets apart from King? What's that FSA one everybody raves about?

grumm
    Free Member

Orbit XLII?

Edit: Doh must read posts properly!

New grips in a silly pimpy colour would probably be my choice for a not too expensive unnecessary bike purchase.

nickc

Hate adjustable seat-posts. Dunno why, I can see the useful-ness of them, but they're ugly, and they're expensive. Horrible.

Hey ho.

Bling but pointless? Coloured ano jockey wheels, and cassette lock rings and so on, utterly pointless, but somehow OK…

Michael-B
    Free Member

If you can’t pimp the bike pimp the rider! New helmet, shoes?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'm getting ready for some new gloves, it has to be said. My Sombrios keep on going though……I'll have a look.

yoshimi

Go tubeless?
    Gore Ride-on cables (I love these, thought they wre expensive but had them for ages and not adjusted once, clean perfect shifting)
    Ti bolts for your stem etc
    A personalised decal (maybe not like that ONION one I see on here)

z1ppy

Get out and ride some more… or buy and build a bike for you m8 .
    S'what I'm currently doing (from raleigh POS to what will be nice little boardman hardtail), really not sure I'm gunna be able to hand it over though, good fun though.

Kramer
    Free Member

A weekend away in Scotland/Wales/The Alps/Scandinavia.

A new frame?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Got Hope brakes? Pimpy colour levers and matching piston caps, plus matching grips.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Personalised bar-end caps?

ditto head (tube) badge….?

mieszko
    Free Member

Maybe some nice tyres to try out something new.

If You can't really think of any parts for Your bike than buy Yourself some new gear: baggies/gloves/jerseys/shoes etc 🙂

OR

Tidy up Your spare parts box, sell whatever You don't need and with the cash from that You'll be able to up Your budget a bit to spoil Yourself even better. Result!

Edit: How much would a personalized headtube badge be? My Sunn frame is missing one and that would look waaay nicer than a sticker 🙂

GW
    Free Member

I don't really understand buying new bike parts just for the sake of it.

if money's burning a hole in your pocket why not order a new rear tyre online somewhere and get out and practice skids 'til your current one explodes?

MrAgreeable

Gotta be a Thomson stem and post. 😉

If you haven't already, I'd splash out on a GPS twonk box. Makes old skool natural riding a lot more accessible.

Or just buy a new bike. 🙂

BluePalomino
    Free Member

new jersey, socks, shorts and teeshirt. or shoes. or glasses.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘I "need" a new bike part. What shall I buy?’ is closed to new replies.