Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • I need a cheap 36 hole disc rear hub – any ideas?
  • flange
    Free Member

As the title really, my cx bike has a horrid set of parralax or whatever they were called straight pull hubs. The rear is goose’d so I want to build the decent rim onto a new hub. Don’t want to spend muchos mulla, the cheaper the better but I’d like to avoid cone a la shimano if poss

tomaso
    Free Member

sjs cycles Halo Combat meets your requirements and is £29.99 save for the loose bearings…

Onzadog
    Free Member

What is it about the hub that’s “goosed”? You can replace Shimano cones if you need to.

flange
    Free Member

Cool – thanks tomaso, that’s on the list

The freehub isn’t great but the general build it rubbish. They’re straight pull spokes on what is a rubbish hub anyway. Because its being used for touring I’d like something reliable and fairly ‘standard’ if you see what I mean.

jimc101
    Free Member

What’s wrong with the rear? freehub or spokes? if freehub, this can normally be replaced much cheaper than a new wheel, if spokes, this indicates you have a factory wheel as Shimano don’t produce hubs with straight pull spokes except for full wheels anymore.

The Halo linked above is still cup and cone, you will need to spend a lot more to get a good cartridge bearing hub.

If you currently have straight pull spokes, do you intend on re-using them (hopefully not) as this with limit what hubs can be used.

flange
    Free Member

Jimc101 – no sir, new spokes too. I’m just pricing up the cost of a new rear wheel. The rims are 36 hole which obviously limits what hubs I can get. Superstar can custom build a new hub on a rim of my choice for £122 which seems the sensible option. I just enjoy building wheels..!

tomaso
    Free Member

A regular Deore hub would fit the bill for £20 odd

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘I need a cheap 36 hole disc rear hub – any ideas?’ is closed to new replies.