• This topic has 21 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Bream.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • I know its still summer but ….best winter boots?.
  • teamslug
    Free Member

My Shimano boots just about gave up the ghost last winter so i’m going to be looking for some more winter SPD boots. I’m not convinced the shimano ones were the warmest and I’ve started to suffer with colder feet as I’ve got older. So….Warm, lightweight, waterproof. Budget isn’t really an issue but I think I might be looking for the moon on stick. Any thoughts. Thanks

dovebiker

Charlie the Bikemonger doing deals on 45Nrth boots at the moment.

IHN

FWIW, a pair of silk liner socks for under a tenner from eBay made an amazing difference of the warmth of my feet when riding in the cold. Ditto silk gloves.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I bought a pair of Lake MXZ303 last winter, they really are amazing. Didn’t have wet or cold feet during a full winter of commuting in the west of Scotland.

onandon
    Free Member

Tried a few but currently have Northwave Extreme GTX winter boots and they’ve been the best so far.
    Also rate Northwave Celsius 2 GTX. I’m not a northwave fanboy but the way.

jamiep
    Free Member

I have Northwave GTX in SPD flavour, and last month also bought them in SPD-SL flavour too. They seem to have a reasonably sized toe box to fit an additional pair of socks or inner sole for more warmth

dovebiker

also depends on your definition of ‘winter’ as I found my Wolvhammers were struggling on day 5 at -27C in the arctic despite two pair of thick socks, full overgaiters and chemical warmers 😀

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

always get a size bigger than summer shoes, for a thicker sock.
    i have both the shimano 3 strap ankle gtx boot, great although when its muddy the dont clean as well as northwave celsius, which you can hose down quickly.

for that reason and the fact they are warmer i’d go northwave

jimdubleyou

Also rate Northwave Celsius 2 GTX.

I’ve got these.

Toasty warm, even when the winter rain gets in through the big hole where your ankles go.

teamslug
    Free Member

Cheers folks. I’ll have a look at the northwave ones. Silk liner socks seems a good call too. I got some hot socks which are a sailing lightweight neoprene sock…ok until the sweat they generate gets cold and then you might as well ride without any boots. Does everyone size up on the northwave ones. I’m a size 9 and the shimano ones were a 10.

jamiep
    Free Member

I didn’t size up, and am keeping the usual size I have. I have the same size in whatever brand I buy

Hot socks – wear them OVER your socks to minimise the clammyness

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

I’d definately sizeup keeping toes warm in winter is all about being able to wiggle them.

onandon
    Free Member

It feels like northwave make their winter boots a tad bigger to allow for this. No need to size up.
    My winter 10s are a bit bigger than my summer 10s

z1ppy

Lake MXZ303 for me, bloody brilliant, wish I’d not bought the two previous set of boots (NW & Shimano), and just saved more for theses the first time round

Bream
    Free Member

This is also a subject I’ve been thinking about, even at the start of summer!

Just can’t seem to work out if I should go for a mid-winter boot or the full on Lake MXZ303 way?

My thinking is that a mid-winter boot would be enough, coming from Sidi’s and overshoes, and the full monty would too much, being too heavy/bulky etc.

Any comments?

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

some good deals on winter gloves at the moment, i’ll be buying summer kit in winter.

belugabob
    Free Member

Now is the perfect time to buy winter boots – as soon as Autumn starts to show its face, there will be a stampede to buy them, and you’ll have missed out.

Bez

Does everyone size up on the northwave ones.

I didn’t (using Celsius Artics, though only on the road). If anything they’re slightly roomier than the same size in summer shoes, even with thick socks. They’re probably the comfiest cycling footwear I’ve ever had, never mind the warmest.

No idea what’s best off-road though.

Bream
    Free Member

Charlie the Bikemonger is out of my size (EU46) for the 45Nrth boots, have dropped them a line if they’ll get more stock, hope so as they offer a great price.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Lake MXZ303

these

Expensive but worth it

IME my boot will leak where your leg enters it

I advise dry suit boots for this as it makes 4-6 hours rides so much more bearable

molgrips
    Free Member

The ones that are on offer now cos it’s summer 🙂

Bream
    Free Member

No more stock of 45NRTH until the 2018 delivery and they’ll be full retain price 😐

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘I know its still summer but ….best winter boots?.’ is closed to new replies.