Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • I hate the BBC
  • scotroutes

This was published by them today

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-36493619

Of course, they’ve now “hidden” the original version which was originally headlined Hillwalkers urged use maps and not GPS 🙄
    (see if you can spot the difference)

and the MCofS have had to issue a denial/clarification

Just for clarity, this BBC story is wrong: we are not urging people not to use GPS. Our advice is that if you use a GPS – and many do – you need to learn to use it properly and you still need to have navigational skills and to be able to calculate a route through interpretation of the map – whether the map is on paper or a screen.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Pretty sure this is chat stuff and not bike stuff.

scotroutes

Have you seen the number of GPS threads on the bike forum?

imnotverygood

C’mon the Bike Forum. We are still in the lead!!

Nipper99
    Free Member

Not sure what the problem is – I wouldn’t use my gps to the exclusion of a map and compass.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Neither would I but there are many who go out with nothing except a gps or a phone

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

Where am I? I’m confused.

I think I’ll use my GPS. Oh wait I left it in the Chat Forum

slowoldman

Sounds like a perfectly sensible clarification to me. Good advice too.

bencooper
    Free Member

They do make a habit of changing stories without documenting the changes. I once had an argument with one of their science correspondents who didn’t understand the difference between silicon (which you make microchips out of) and silicone (which you make breasts out of).

The article was quietly edited later, once he’d found an encycleopaedia.

athgray
    Free Member

I it a mistake for sure, but don’t think it is worth getting too excited about.
    I do however remember the BBC once describing Snowdon as the second highest mountain in the UK.

boxelder

You hate too easily, my dear old thing
    #lovethebeeb

scotroutes

Timing, timing.

There was a “I love the BBC” thread on the chat forum…

BadlyWiredDog

The Mountaineering Council of Scotland could do itself a favour by rationing its endless stream of doom-laden media releases about how dangerous the hills are. According to them there’s never a good time to get outside. Winter? Hill walkers are warned to beware avalanches, cornices and sudden weather changes. Summer: hill goers should be aware of the dangers of dehydration and heat. Settled conditions? Mountaineers should beware of complacency. Good views? Beware the danger of looking too hard at them in case your eyes are pecked out by ravens etc.

Never once have I seen anything remotely positive from them celebrating the pleasure of getting outside and encouraging more people to try hill-walking and mountaineering. It’s as if their main remit is to make the outdoors seems as dangerous as possible.

Miserable gits.

BadlyWiredDog

This is classic McofS lunacy:

Women at greater risk going to the loo in the outdoors. Genius.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/news/728438/girls-get-warning-on-peeks-as-climbers-could-die-for-loo/

slimjim78
    Free Member

Came here for bike chat. Disappointed

scotroutes

road.cc Facebook feed is similarly dominated by tales of cyclist/car confrontations.

bencooper
    Free Member

This is classic McofS lunacy

Plus their continuous ranting about windfarms. As if Scottish mountains aren’t an artificial landscape already.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

It should be compulsory to use a GPS.

And a helmet.

BadlyWiredDog

Hill walkers using stilts should beware of decapitation by wind farms warned MCofS safety advisor Heather Morning in a statement issued yesterday.

Stainypants

I only use a GPS and a phone because it’s 2016 and I can’t be arsed buying or printing out maps when I have the whole of the UK mapped on both devices. I always carry both plus spare batteries.

martinhutch

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2016/06/08/is-using-your-gps-gadget-on-the-mountains-a-threat-to-your-life#

Here’s what I suspect is the issue. If you read a very full selection of quotes from ms morning, the bit making clear that using GPS is fine with a map appears to be missing. So has the BBC misinterpreted or the MC had to clarify after its spokesman ranted on about ‘death by gps’?
    Your answer may depend on how much you hate the BBC.

dragon
    Free Member

So BBC reported the MCofS correctly then. OP feel free to apologise.

MCofS also need a better spokesperson and not clearly someone with a bizarre axe to grid against GPS.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘I hate the BBC’ is closed to new replies.