• This topic has 36 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by mrmo.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • I hate choosing
  • mrmo
    Free Member

In the traditiion of talking to random strangers on the internet…

I have a job, i enjoy most of the time, but i am finding some things very frustrating.

I have received a job offer.

Both jobs are working with data, in the first i have 18months knowledge of what it means, the other i would be going in cold.

New job pays a bit more, i am reconning on 2.5k per annum, so about 10% more. 5min walk to work versus 35drive or 1 hour cycle 3-4 times a week.(i have allowed for the fuel savings in above increase). I enjoy the cycle in good weather, but the dark mornings the last few days have got me thinking.

I have just been called into one of the directors office here for a chat, i told my manager i had recieved offer. Director said he can’t offer a pay rise, he doesn’t want to set a precident, but that i was underpaid and that it would be addressed in the pay round in Jan. I know a promise means nothing. But having spoken to other people who know him better he does tend to mean what he says.

In current role we are half way through an installation of CRM dynamics, and talk of Dynamics AX to follow.

New job would mean learning Oracle, rather than T-SQL that i am currently using.

If i stay i know the job, if i move on, i might regret it… but i might not…

Just after some thoughts about the job after next, what skills are more in demand.

Part of me thinks give my current role another 6 months, then if things are no better, job hunt properly. This job offer came off the back of me having a bad day and applying for one job!

JEngledow
    Free Member

Just after some thoughts about the job after next, what skills are more in demand.

I’d have thought that experience with both Oracle and T-SQL (whatever they are!) would be a big help as it shows versatility, especially if being paid to learn Oracle.

jam-bo

5 min walk to work to do a similar job for more money would have me sold.

stick_man

What you are experiencing is the fear of finding yourself outside of your comfort zone. You are clinging to safety.

Your manager hasn’t made a counter offer, only a loose promise that will probably come to nothing.

The new job offers less commuting, more money, and new skills. Go for it.

ktaylor
    Free Member

Less commuting, more money and getting out of comfort zone would certainly persuade me to move.

wrecker
    Free Member

Director said he can’t offer a pay rise, he doesn’t want to set a precident, but that i was underpaid and that it would be addressed in the pay round in Jan.

This would annoy me, they have knowingly underpaid you for 2 years and have only offered to address it in a few months due to you having another offer. Bye.

ourmaninthenorth

This would annoy me, they have knowingly underpaid you for 2 years and have only offered to address it in a few months due to you having another offer. Bye.

This. A lot.

One other thing: after I left my last place, I decided that any future job change would be going “to” something new, rather than going “from” (if that makes sense).

Consequently, though I enjoy my current job, I’m in the market for something new and better.

tinsy
    Free Member

Whats to choose? Resign today, it will feel great.

scaled
    Free Member

Been at your current place 18 months you say?

Time to move on unless they’re prepared to put down the pay bump in writing now (maybe haggle for it to be backdated to now)

Honestly though, 5 min walk to work? Go home for lunch if you want, not having to leave the house till 8:50, if the sun is out you could go for a 40 min bike ride before work and call it a commute! (and still have a shower at home)

mrmo
    Free Member

In his defence, he is new in the position, result of merger, and my pay was the result of politics prior to his time, plus going from no job to a job did mean i wasn’t in the best position to negotiate.

But yes it is annoying.

just want to happy that i am doing the right thing. Getting an offer off the back of one application without putting any effort in has thrown me a bit. You hear about how hard the job market is and i certainly struggled to get the job i have now 18months ago.

Kryton57

Director said he can’t offer a pay rise, he doesn’t want to set a precident, but that i was underpaid and that it would be addressed in the pay round in Jan. I know a promise means nothing. But having spoken to other people who know him better he does tend to mean what he says.

Translated to:

“I’ve been screwing you for two years, and now you’ve found out I’m going to test if you have the guts to do anything about it. Plus, there are other people in the same boat and if they found out YOU’VE had a raise I’ll have a financial riot on my hands”.

If you are going to call his bluff, you can only get away with it by being prepared to accept the new job and seeing a resignation through. Resign, and see if he makes you an offer to stay. If he doesn’t he doesn’t value you so leave anyway.

Don’t do this and then withdraw your resignation – you’ll have weakened your position forever.

mrmo
    Free Member

oh, and one final detail recently been told the house that i rent is being sold, in theory sitting tenants, be nice to put an offer in but new job, probation periods no chance i believe…. which just adds to the unsettled feeling.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Do it, do it now!

Ive been promised payrises for a few years now, along with training and other perks that never come off. Its always at ‘the next review’ or ‘our focus has changed to xxxx’

Finally got to a point where I have enough behind me to seriously look around for other stuff, and I cant wait to move into a role where I get paid what Im worth.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

oh, and one final detail recently been told the house that i rent is being sold, in theory sitting tenants, be nice to put an offer in but new job…..

Is this not another case of a ‘comfort zone’, as mentioned above? Other houses are available, they might even be better 😉 The money, ‘commute’ and new challenge would have nailed it for me. You clearly have what people are looking for if you have a 100% success in the job market from a speculative enquiry!

stick_man

It’s the fear talking again. You’re scratching around looking for reasons not to take the leap, even though you know deep down it’s a great offer.

Just do it.

wrecker
    Free Member

How old are you mrmo if you don’t mind me asking?

Cougar

Director said he can’t offer a pay rise, he doesn’t want to set a precident

Assuming he’s good for his word, this is still simply lame. I’d have said “don’t worry, it’ll be our little secret.” (-:

He presumably can offer you a rise, he just doesn’t want to. His loss, then, because

it would be addressed in the pay round in Jan

… is probably going to be a much smaller increase than you think. An employer will pay the minimum they can get away with in order to ensure a reasonable staff retention rate. They’re calling your bluff.

Take the job offer.

Now.

Step away from the keyboard.

Go on.

Why are you still here?

Shoo.

mrmo
    Free Member

wrecker, 38.

Stick_man, i know, last few years have been a bit all over the place, redundancy temping etc. had some shocking bosses, and some ok ones. moved a few times, etc. Sometimes stability is good, sometimes it isn’t.

Bristolbiker, that is the other thing, do i really want the job? applying for a job on a bad day rather than applying for a job that you want.

wrecker
    Free Member

wrecker, 38.

You’ve got loads of time to find a house.
    Cougar is dead on about the pay rise and that’s even if it materialises at all (sorry, the company hasn’t done so well this year etc etc). Then you’re plainly underpaid for another period and who knows when another job will come along.
    If the director won’t commit now, it’s time to go.
    GET AMONGST IT!

damitamit
    Free Member

Whats the job role, out of interest?

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Youre currently spending about 230 of your free hours a year going somewhere for less money !!!! or over 6 extra working weeks !!! its a no brainer!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

no one really wants a job
    But this one has some wins your current one does not

I would be surprised if they address your issue in January [ to the extent of a 10% pay rise]
    This is really only 3 months away so hardly going to bankrupt the company and the finances will run from April to march so that sounds like one huge porky to me as they may discuss in jan and pay in April

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Bristolbiker, that is the other thing, do i really want the job?

Turn it around – do you really want out of your current job? You have an offer in your hands for more money/better conditions (nominally – only you know the details). At the very least you are in a position to call the bluff of your current boss, and if he folds first, move on. Even if you only stay at the new place while you “seriously” search for a job, at least you’ve got something to go to which is ‘better’ than where you are now.

I realise this is an almost unrealistically shiney-and-good scenario in a multitude of possible outcomes for which we don’t have the information to predict, but why not look on the bright side 😉

mrmo
    Free Member

damitamit, Information Analyst

Cougar

do i really want the job?

Yes, you do. You’ve already made the decision, you just lack the courage of your convictions. Get on with it.

Cougar

Have you done it yet?

Cougar

Just so we’re clear,

Someone’s offering you a job which:

Gives you a 10% pay rise.

Saves you an hour’s driving every day.

Gives you an extra half hour’s lie in of a morning.

Gets you home half an hour earlier.

Means you can go home for lunch.

Saves you paying for fuel for said hour’s driving every day (*).

Gets you a role where you’re learning new skills.

They clearly think you can do better than anyone else, hence the offer.

And you don’t know what yo do?

(* – Have you ever sat down and worked out what that’s costing you, btw? Guessing figures off the top of my head: 40 miles a day, 20p/mile in fuel, that’s eight quid a day. You’re spending £160 a month just for the privilege of getting to work. And you can probably double that if you’re paying to run your own car; I once worked out that mine costs about 10p/mile just in rubber.

So your 10% pay rise is now a 20% pay rise. You’re welcome.)

mrmo
    Free Member

So your 10% pay rise is now a 20% pay rise. You’re welcome.)

done the car bit already so 10% is about 10%.

I think there are two issues, one the jump into the unknown. two i hate leaving things half done!

Money is nice, but not my primary motivation.

stick_man

I think there is one issue, the jump into the unknown

Cougar

one the jump into the unknown.

Sure. But if you don’t jump, you’ll never know. If you do jump and it doesn’t work out, jump again. Jump back if you have to.

What would you rather do looking back, regret something you’d done or regret something you hadn’t?

two i hate leaving things half done!

Whilst company loyaly and pride in your work is commendable, it’s also short sighted. If instead they needed to get rid of you, they’d do it in a heartbeat.

You’re there because they’re paying you to do a job, nothing more. If you go then they’ll replace you or do without. If you’re genuinely invaluable to them then they’ll offer you an incentive to stay, but as we’ve seen they’ve already shown their hand there. So the bottom line is, they don’t actually give a shit. Sorry.

cp

Just having work close by really is a god send. I did it 5 years ago, got rid of a 40min commute each way. I’m a lot happier, and it’s amazing how much more stuff you can do in that time you otherwise had spent commuting.

My other half did it 2 months ago from a similar commute. She’s a different person.

mogrim

Stop farting about, Cougar’s completely right on this one. I’ve gone from a 45min commute to 10min, and it is a HUGE improvement. (Or I can do 35min on the bike, nice…)

stick_man

Mrmo is now entering a state of analysis paralysis

alfabus
    Free Member

@Mo

last year I swapped a 1 hour commute for a 20 minute commute – the difference it made to quality of life is incredible.

Don’t think of it in terms of losing a commute ride, think of it as meaning that you are home and can go for a proper ride before dinner!

Oh, and being paid to add another string to your bow is always good.

Dave

freeagent
    Free Member

2.5 years ago we moved house. My wifes commute droped from a 30 miles journey, which dependant on the M25 could take 1 hour+ to a 7 mile trip, which can be done in 20mins max, the only potential delay is a couple of stroppy Peacocks in Downe Village which walk around in the middle of the road.
    She is so much happier..
    Don’t underestimate how much better working close to home could be…

tang
    Free Member

I now live 5 mins from work (well, long contract main client I’m SE) as opposed to 20 mile round trip drive/ride every day. On balance fantastic. It really is a lot of time that gets freed up and you do notice it!

mrmo
    Free Member

Don’t think of it in terms of losing a commute ride, think of it as meaning that you are home and can go for a proper ride before dinner!

plenty of KoMs to go after on Lecky hill…

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘I hate choosing’ is closed to new replies.