So - I have had a particular credit card for 10+ years. Recently I noticed the payment protection insurance rate going up and I thought - hold on - I didnt actually ask for payment protection (I know - I should have noticed before right?!). So I complained. They have found in my favour. They are giving me £500. They dont tell me how they calculate this and I have no way of knowing whether this equated to the amount of money they have effectively stolen from me in the past 10+ years.
So the question is - do I cash the cheque, or do I ask for more info on how it was calculated and then complain to the ombudsman if the value is incorrect?
Its £500 more than I thought I had and an extra few pounds NOW will help as I am going to be unemployed from Wednesday i.e. having the money NOW rather than waiting would be useful, but I might be doing myself out of money that should be mine...
So - accept first offer or ask for info?
Merry Christmas all