Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • I fancy trying a bass guitar. Please tell me not to :-)
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

I went for a stroll yesterday and, accidentally, popped into a cash converters type of a place where they have a nice looking bass. 200 Euro is a bit steep but I picked it up and realised I could hold the strings. I could even go ding! ding! ding! and it sounded sort of like “Welcome Home” by Metallica. I can’t play a guitar due to severely limited mobility of my left hand fingers (effects of a bump I had from a 7.5t truck as a kid) but the bass strings are thicker and it felt do-able.
    My issue is I can’t afford another great hobby. Bikes, my camera, my Honda, my car that needs money, my daughter who (probably) needs to eat. So please tell me why I should never try it and, were I irresponsible enough, what bass should I buy to learn on? Cheap, light, decent if possible.

mountainlight
    Free Member

Do it ! You’re a long time dead (as my Granny would often say).

Buy a Fender Jazz Jap or Mexican S/H – if you don’t take to it, then you shouldn’t lose on it, plus you’ll enjoy playing it.

TheFopster
    Free Member

Do it. Bass is a fab instrument. Sounds great and easy to play. A double bass is, however, a whole different kettle of fish. Never managed to get to grips with one of those…
    🙁

jools182
    Free Member

Do it.
    I bought one from e bay about 2 years ago. Only played it now and again along to some really cool bass lines (pixies, stranglers, and moving to new york by the wombats) but it was definitely a good feeling to play along to something and get it (almost) right
    Had to sell it last year due to being out of work, but if I ever have any spare cash I’d get another

Three_Fish
    Free Member

If you buy an electric, you’re going to need an amp – so there’s another £100 or so (at least). Or you could get a small effects box like a Korg Pandora or Pod/VAmp, which would mean you could plug in with headphones, have a whole host of amp models and effects, and maybe even a built-in drum machine. A drum machine is an excellent tool for all musicians, especially aspiring bass players. Unless you think you’ll be wanting to perform any time soon, I’d recommend the effects unit a nice pair of over-the-ear ‘phones.

Cheap, or even a lot of the more expensive, acoustics tend to lack any real volume or tone and the brass strings that they sound the nicest with are expensive and tend to become dead after just a couple of hours playing.

The bass is a great instrument and, like all instruments, can bring you a lot of pleasure (as well as frustration!). If you want to do it, then do. You’ll always be able to sell stuff on if you don’t get into it.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

A double bass is, however, a whole different kettle of fish. Never managed to get to grips with one of those…

I’ve had mine for a few months now and I’m enjoying retraining myself! The fundamentals are the same, although I’m finding that I’m needing to develop a different LH technique to cope with the larger scale. I do, however, absolutely love my upright!! It’s also brought a whole new dimension to my electric playing.

tony_m
    Free Member

Do it x4!!! Just be aware that once you start, you can easily find yourself suffering from constant attacks of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) as you search for that perfect tone. 8)

You’ll find plenty of advice available at the home of Bassaholics Anonymous…

Basschat

Hairychested
    Free Member

tony, I suffer from it with regards to all things I like 😛

jamest
    Free Member

Do it! I have been playing for 4 years, in a band with some
    mates, after learning the fundamentals we have played a few pub gigs, mainly covers it’s really good fun, an ongoing challenge to keep building your skills and helps you to
    listen to music in a whole new way. I started with an Epiphone Thundebird then 2 years ago bought a US Fender precision, it’s all the bass I need…..mind you a Fender Jazz would also be nice…as other posters have said, it can become addictive…

john_drummer
    Free Member

yeah, do it.

yunki
    Free Member

playing bass is bad for you…

my old man played bass in bands round the clubs in Germany in the 60s when it was dead trendy..

playing bass lead directly to him taking tonnes of drugs and drinking loads of booze and having sex with a very great many beautiful young ladies.. some of whom were not very well in their fu fu..

just say no

Hairychested
    Free Member

Yunki, it brings sex? As a married man I’m gonna have to do it then 😛

Three_Fish
    Free Member

It’s a well known fact that although guitarists get the most women, bass players always get the best. When you’ve played for a while, you’ll understand why this is so.

yunki
    Free Member

it brings sex? As a married man I’m gonna have to do it then

that was pretty much what my dear old Dad said to my Mum before he got on the ferry… bless him

Hairychested
    Free Member

I feel for your Mum, seriously. But I can understand your Dad too.
    I think my middle age crisis will start in my late 30’s…

yunki
    Free Member

As of yesterday I am very much looking forward to aquiring my Fathers bass that he used when touring Germany.. Holland and other European destinations in the mid 60s..

He died when I was a nipper.. and out of the few meager possessions that my mum would have liked me to have.. one of the things that she couldn’t locate was his fretless bass guitar.. up until now it was considered by us to be lost forever..

I spoke to a guy by email yesterday after a few random acts of chance and coincidence.. to chat about a book he wrote about the era..

He nearly knocked me off my feet by casually informing me that my old mans bass was in his attic.. in it’s original case covered in travel stickers from the touring.. my dads girlfriend had left it in his possession shortly after my Dad’s passing and he hadn’t been sure what to do with it..! It’s mine if I want it..

I was more than happy enough to have contacted one of my Dad’s old musician mates.. hearing some more about his life will help fill in some more gaps for me..
    but to then be told that he has what I can only describe as a unicorn in his attic is quite surreal..

photo’s etc in due course..

julianwilson
    Free Member

yunki, what a great story. 😀 Please keep us posted.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘I fancy trying a bass guitar. Please tell me not to :-)’ is closed to new replies.