Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • I don't have £19k spare, but I need a bigger willy…
  • I’m sure there will be plenty of willing contributors on here to tell me this is a really bad idea, but I sooooo want this car….

Not quite as impressive versions are also available for under £15k, all with 507 bhp and under 5s 0-62 mph. Crazy to think just a few years ago this would have cost well over £60k.

Stop me now

seadog101

What I fail to understand is, if these are such brilliant cars, why do people have to sell them on for such depreciated sums of money…?

I’d be lucky to sell my absolutely amazing (IMO) £4k carbon FS bike for anything approaching £1k. It’s not as old as the car above. Go figure – people want new stuff if they are going to spunk a load of cash.

Sandwich

Try to get an adult to come shopping with you. What would I know I bought a petrol guzzling S3 instead of the sensible car when I had the choice.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d be interested if it was the Touring version.. 😆

bearnecessities

Do it. It’s got about £500 of autoglym included!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I don’t have £19k spare, but I need a bigger willy

&

Do it. It’s got about £500 of autoglym included!

Lots of time spent polishing both….

tenfoot

A friend of mine had one. What a machine. Blindingly fast.

2 main things to consider
    1) It was easy to be above the legal limit in no time at all, and it all felt a little sanitised because the car was too capable. I think he preferred his E46 M3.

2) Fuel consumption was 15-18 mpg, without the M button pressed, so basically running at 400bhp instead of 500.

I amazed you can get them sub 20k now.

patriotpro
    Free Member

You can get R8s for sub £25k now so not that surprising you can get M5s for sub £20k.

If I could afford it I’d buy it, you should too.

tron
    Free Member

That looks awesome. I’d personally go for the e39, because they’ve pretty much bottomed out value wise. That said, if you keep the e60 for a long long time, you’ll probably not lose much!

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Mate’s brother bought one. Although he lives in Dubai and they give fuel away for free over there. That does look stunning though.

I took my humble bimmer for a service recently and parked next to a very new M6. The old fella that works the car park asked if I minded parking there. I said bemused, “yeah, not a problem, why?” He went on to tell me that some fella had been in that morning in his new-ish M3 and it caused an argument with his wife as he wants an M6 and she won’t let him buy one.

As TAFKASTR states, people like spending lots of cash on new toys. Then spending lots again when newer toys are released/made available. I suppose some people want the next best thing and maybe not happy with what they’ve got and the here and now.

I can also relate to the expensive plastic bike not worth anywhere near what I paid for it less than 2 years ago 🙂

Gary_C

Nice car, but do all the M5’s come with that bloody awful SMG transmission?

I drove a M3 the other week that was fitted with that gearbox & just couldn’t get on with it at all. Fast forward a few days & I drove a normal manual gearboxed M3 & it was sublime.

shotsaway
    Free Member

LOVED BY ONLY 6 OWNERS FROM NEW,

7.5 year old car owned by 6 people? In other words “trashed to an inch of its life” by 6 people until they got bored and sold it.

br
    Free Member

What I fail to understand is, if these are such brilliant cars, why do people have to sell them on for such depreciated sums of money…?

If you can afford one new then you aren’t going to buy one secondhand, ever. So when you come to sell one the only market is to people who have far less money, therefore that is the depreciation.

And the type of people who buy them new don’t want ‘last years’ car, so don’t keep them long.

They can afford it.

djglover
    Free Member

You only live once, do it although once you reach 6 points it kind of stems the fun somewhat 🙁

Make sure you have warranty or big repairs fund

br
    Free Member

That looks awesome. I’d personally go for the e39, because they’ve pretty much bottomed out value wise.

The e39’s bottomed out years ago, I paid £2k for an immaculate V8 six y/o.

tenfoot

Nice car, but do all the M5’s come with that bloody awful SMG transmission?

Yep. All e60 M5 models do.

boblo
    Free Member

Hmmmmm. I just went through the process of agonising over M5/E63/RS6 and ended up with a diesel estate :-/ I concluded, bikes for performance, cars for transport and 20mpg for the above would constantly wind me up (cost aside).

Still fancy one though and you get a lot of car for not much £££’s after a couple of years.

pjm84
    Free Member

by 6 people until they got bored and sold it

or couldn’t afford to run it.

patriotpro
    Free Member

You only live once, do it although once you reach 6 points it kind of stems the fun somewhat

Make sure you have warranty or big repairs fund

Never had a car in that league but the FiL bought an M3 and the synchromesh went after 3 months. I think the bill was £2k (covered under warranty).

Inbred456
    Free Member

We are all just here for a very short time. Do it waste the money enjoy it, then sell it on. Then you can say ” I had one of those!” Can’t take it with you.

DT78
    Free Member

I was looking at m6s last night. They seem a smidge cheaper than the m5, but would seem a bike can’t fit in it. Must be why it’s cheaper.

£15k less than 10years old, £80k when new !

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

If you do buy it, an it looks great IMO, remember to budget £2.5k every 10k miles for tyres!

1981miked
    Free Member

Everybody should own or at least try an M car once, I had an E46 M3 last year and it was just insane, I have driven lots of fast cars but nothing like the M3.

It begged to be driven hard, the SMG gearbox with the steering wheel paddle shifters just made it feel even better, it had an appetite to be raced whenever possible and just wanted to headbutt the horizon or throw you round the next corner far quicker than you thought was possible.

Then there was the noise from the straight 6.. Wow! All grumbly and bassy below 5k, the screamed like a banshee up to 8k and went banzai fast, it had a kick at about 4.5k then another one about 6.5k that never failed to make me grin… God I miss that car!

takisawa2

It would need an iron clad warranty for me to think about it.

6 owners… 😕

julians
    Free Member

Buy one, it’ll be ace*

* and expensive to run, a friend has an M6 (same engine), he gets 13mpg driving to and from work.

SMG gearbox is supposed to be a potential trouble spot, so make sure you get some form of warranty.

Engines are reliable.

I recently owned an e92 m3 (sold it last month and swapped to an m135i), the M3 was/is a great car, but again fairly pricey to run, 19mpg average over 25000 miles, tyres are £1k for a full set, and will last 15k miles if you dont wheelsping off from every junction. brakes £1500 for a full set, should last 60000miles (excluding track days).

If you want one, get one, scratch the itch for a couple of years and move on.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

these cars change hand so often and for such little money because of running costs… people don’t reliase what it’s like running a car that averages about 14mpg round town and it bleeds them dry… so after about 6 months to a year, they sell them on… and as for thrashing them around, not many people car really afford to, they drive them like nuns to try and eke out a half decent mpg, then think what’s the point in having a 500+ bhp car if this is how i’ve got to drive it?

and then it’s up for sale again

i may be speaking from bitter experience here 🙄

loddrik
    Free Member

these cars change hand so often and for such little money because of running costs… people don’t reliase what it’s like running a car that averages about 14mpg round town and it bleeds them dry… so after about 6 months to a year, they sell them on… and as for thrashing them around, not many people car really afford to, they drive them like nuns to try and eke out a half decent mpg, then think what’s the point in having a 500+ bhp car if this is how i’ve got to drive it?
    and then it’s up for sale again
    i may be speaking from bitter experience here

Agreed. Remember they drink super too. I’m a struggling with the wife’s golf which gets 22mpg around town. 14mpg is horrendous and whilst it looks bad on paper it’s even worse in the real world.

Had some seriously thirsty cars over the years, but that was when petrol was less than 90p a litre and it cost £50 to fill the tank . Who knows what it’ll cost in 12 months time.

DezB
    Free Member

507 bhp and under 5s 0-62 mph

Is there some kind of inner child that makes people get excited about this kind of thing ( like Lego too!)
    I mean, how often and WHERE do you get to use this power and speed. My car’s a shitty old slow lump, but I only ever get to use any of its power down the occasional motorway slip road, then I’m going the same speed as everyone else.
    Followed a Bentley for a couple of miles yesterday, he over took me, then couldn’t get away. I was on my bike.

MoreCashThanDash

Save £19k and get a short wife with small hands.

Alternative solution to the small willy problem.

julians
    Free Member

I mean, how often and WHERE do you get to use this power and speed

Theres no law that limits how fast you can accelerate.

You’ll never use the ultimate speed that something like this is capable of, but you can use the acceleration and handling every day on every drive, or at least thats what I can do on the roads I drive on (south manchester) . I guess its assumes you’re not driving in stop/start traffic all the time, buying one of these if you’re only going to use it in city centre traffic is a bit silly.

julians
    Free Member

Also, owning a car like this is a bit of an emotional thing, hearing the sound of the engine , appreciating the engineering, knowing that most people arent driving something like this. I guess its a bit like owning an expensive watch. A 20 quid casio will tell thetime just as well, often better, but its about more than being able to tell the time.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Just buy buy 8 sets of Enve wheels instead. No fuel costs , bargain

fasthaggis

A bit more than £19k ,but I rather liked this ad at the cinema last night.First time that I had seen it.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bls1KKDwmo&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Kryton57

MoreCashThanDash – Member
    Save £19k and get a short wife with small hands.

You’re sadly deluded if you think owning a wife will cost less than £19k….

maxtorque

I hate to sound all grown up, but in the UK at least (well certainly the southern crowded bit) i found the larger M cars to be frankly, annoying. They are too big and heavy to be track / B road blasters, and really only start to feel fast above 100mph, a speed viewed quite dimly by our 1960’s based road laws.

Also, in this day and age of “speed kills” and “save the planet” having a big flashy shouty performance car does seem to attract the wrong sort of attention.

Although i’m loath to say it, i find my pokey Diesel car to actually be much more relevant day to day………. #gettingold 😉

MoreCashThanDash

Kryton – she earns more than me and is relatively low maintenance…. 😀

Suggsey
    Free Member

Do it if you can afford to run it and maintain it. My R32 doesn’t get driven more than twice a week to ‘ play in ‘ but goes out on high days and holidays too.
    I factor in the tanks of fuel I’m going to burn when looking at holidays as part of the cost….going Cairngorms tomorrow in her plus the main thing is whenever I get in and drive her she makes me smile and the acceleration and grip levels and toys add to the overall pleasure able experience of owning a sports car.

loddrik
    Free Member

Please don’t refer to inanimate objects as ‘she’. It’s totally and completely naff.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Save the money and buy a blingy bike instead.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘I don't have £19k spare, but I need a bigger willy…’ is closed to new replies.