• This topic has 26 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Mr_C.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • I bet they're glad they were wearing a helmet
  • wwaswas

(via @glospolbiker)

although the friend of a friend bit makes me slightly sceptical – could it have been sawn?

Drac

The hitting a bus bit a 70mph makes me sceptical.

peterfile
    Free Member

My guess is that has been sanded down.

If you hit a bus at 70mph, you’re probably not going to slide too far.

Even if you did slide, trying to keep pressure on that exact part of the helmet for enough time to grind it down would surely be a bit tricky?

DezB
    Free Member

The hitting a bus bit a 70mph internet makes me sceptical.

convert

Fake, and a rubbish one at that- that’s been pressed up against a sanding disc.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Friend of mine got clattered by the wing mirror of a ski bus once, while waiting at the stop and not really paying attention. He was certainly glad of his helmet then!

stevepitch
    Free Member

Do you think he had a really heavy head or no neck muscles! Having ridden motor bikes for years and having a few offs Ive never seen that sort of damage I would have thought that you would have to be going twice that speed and then sustain your head contact with the ground the entire slide. That’s assuming you don’t hit something first or didn’t bounce around like a rag doll etc as is often the case. And even if he did hit a bus the helmet would crack and distort not end up with a bald patch!? Very odd indeed, plus who wants a helmet to disintegrate that much at 70!? I certainly wouldn’t 😯

DezB
    Free Member

that’s been pressed up against a sanding disc.

I also love facts, me.

JEngledow
    Free Member

That’s far too clean to be real, it’s not even a good fake 🙄

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

TBH, I’d have thought brains wouldn’t sand down so nicely.

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Cut or sanded is my vote.

From experience, I (or my bike at least) hit a car at an estimated 80mph and the road slowed me to a stop. My helmet (bike not fireman) got away with gravel rash.

You tend to roll and flail around when sliding at that speed.

flatfish
    Free Member

Could have been wedged under the bus.
    My cousin was paralysed in an accident when he bounced off a car. He was pillion.
    The rider slid under the car and his helmet got jammed and the strap of his helmet decapitated him.

I’d say it’s entirely possible.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Maybe his foot got stuck in a closing door and he was dragged along on his head.

At 70mph.

Don’t think it was a routemaster.

Trimix
    Free Member

Just how do you hold your head still on the road to grind it clean like that ?

Looks fake.

Ive twatted my motorcycle helmet on the ground and you really do bounce about a lot. I just cant imagine how this is remotely possible. What was the rest of his body doing while the head was firmly planted on the ground then ?

fasthaggis

Maybe their head was jammed under a bus at 70mph .

..in other news

I was glad that I was wearing a helmet when I went over the bonnet of a car 2 weeks ago.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I recently sustained friction damage to my helmet, not nice. 🙂

JEngledow
    Free Member

I recently sustained friction damage to my helmet

Try loosening your grip!

twinw4ll
    Free Member

No, i think it was a loose grip that caused it, that and excessive fpm.

stumpy01

Head would have to be at a really funny angle for that to have occurred!

dannybgoode

If you read the caption carefully it does not say anything at all about the supposed friend of a friend actually surviving the impact.

Agree though I can’t see how that damage could be caused in an accident.

Woody
    Free Member

My guess is that has been sanded down.
    If you hit a bus at 70mph, you’re probably not going to slide too far.
    Even if you did slide, trying to keep pressure on that exact part of the helmet for enough time to grind it down would surely be a bit tricky?

Having attended a couple of particularly bizarre and gruesome RTC’s involving motorbikes last year, I would say that type if damage is entirely possible. A ‘trap and grind’ situation wouldn’t take much continuing forward motion to do that sort of damage.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Original Source?

As far as I can tell this might be where it first appeared online, there is apparently a FB post from a different username around the same time but I cant find it.

General opinion seemed to be fake, then maybe real.

njee20
    Free Member

It’s on the top of the head though, you’d have to be virtually upside down to do that.

It’s a no from me.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Different angle, same helmet. Looks more possible from this angle.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

To be fair it doesn’t say he hit the bus at 70mph. He could have skidded some way and hit the bus at a much lower speed.

sharkbait
    Free Member

To rub the helmet there the rider would had to almost do a headstand the entire time
    😐

Mr_C
    Free Member

Found this on Reddit which does sound vaguely plausible.

Apparently, there were cardboard boxes scattered over the freeway from some asshole not securing them properly. As my brother was riding past, a box was picked up by the wind, hit him in the face. He fell backwards off the bike, and slid into an HOV lane where a bus was coming.
    This is where people’s skepticism start. The bus didn’t quite HIT him. He slid under the bus (between the two front wheels, thank god) and some part of his clothes got hooked onto the bus. The scrape on his helmet is so deep and even because he was dragged by the bus until it came to a stop. If he had just come to a stop on his own, the helmet wouldn’t be like this, but since it took as long for him to stop as the bus took, this is what happened.

Linky

Still not entirely convinced myself. The bus would need to travel some distance to grind that much helmet away.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘I bet they're glad they were wearing a helmet’ is closed to new replies.