Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hub geared bike that runs rim brakes
  • Mr-Rubble
    Free Member

Morning All,

I am looking for some advice about bikes that run hub gears and rim brakes. Simple. Well i am struggling.
    Basically my commuter frame (Pompino Mk1) has died and i just want to swap all the bits on to a new frame. The complicated part is, I was running an alfine 8 that wouldn’t take a disc, I am now struggling to find a suitable frame. I am looking for a commuter frame, steel preferably, similar to a pompetamine or roadrat.
    I have checked the usual suspects, on-one, cotic and genisis. If anyone has any ideas on where i can find a frame that would be great.

Cheers

Mr Rubble

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Both the Surly Cross Check and Ogre have horizontal dropouts and will take a hub gear and cantis.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I had this same issue, I decided to go for a rear roller brake in the end, works well even when loaded up with panniers.

I know older Nuvinci and Nexus hubs take a roller brake, so it may be worth checking out your Alfine manual, they use a spline interface. Roller brake should work with almost any frame.

I use an HS33 on the front tho, IMO rollers are a better idea as rear only.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

2nd hand planet x kaffenback?
    Not sure which model, but the one i have has replaceable drop outs so can run single speed, hub geared or regular geared. Drop outs also have disc brake mounts, but frame also has canti mounts.
    Not sure if that makes it future proof or backward compatible, but either way..all options covered.

philtricklebank

Alfine without disc fitting? I wasn’t sure this existed, only on the earlier nexus hubs. You sure the centre lock disc splines on the left aren’t covered by a rubber cap? I stand to be corrected of course!

Mr-Rubble
    Free Member

Afternoon, thanks for all the help I now have some very good options. I knew i should have come here first rather than talking to customer services.
    philtricklebank to be honest I haven’t looked under the rubber cap. This could be very embarrassing. I will keep you informed.

Cheers for all you help.

Mr Rubble

Saccades
    Free Member

I’d be stunned if you don’t have splines for a disc..

Ive an original SG500 and a later SG501 and both have splines for discs.

Co-incidentally I’m running one on a mk1 pompino with vees on the back.

Pigface
    Free Member

Thorn

philtricklebank

Any update Mr Rubble on the presence or absence of a disc mount?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hub geared bike that runs rim brakes’ is closed to new replies.