Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • How to teach a child to pedal standing up??
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

My 4 1/2 year old daughter has been doing well on her cnoc14 islabike but there are times when its really useful to stand up and pedal which she seems to struggle doing. Any good tips on teaching a little one to do this??

carlphillips
    Free Member

i told mine to “stand up and pedal, it doesn’t hurt your bum so much”…that did the trick.

probably not that helpful, but try it 😀

kevj
    Free Member

Have you considered taking the seat off? Serious question. Yes, it’s a bit drastic, but it removes choice. Sit her down ad explain why, give it a go then replace the seat. Repeat until she has learned the skill.

You will need to be alongside until she gets it right. Good luck!

TomB

Does she stand for bumpy bits while freewheeling? If not, get that bit first. Following mum or dad helped my lad.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I was thinking live scorpion taped to the seat.. but we’ll try the other suggestions first.. Thanks

Stoner
    Free Member

Jr tends to ride standing up when his saddle is too low (i.e. before I remember to raise it when he keeps growing so fast). Slam her seat and she’ll find sitting and pedalling awkward so might stand up.

br
    Free Member

Give her a break, she’s only 4 1/2 y/o.

Jason
    Free Member

Normally when I ride with my son I take my single speed, he nows associates riding up hill with standing up. Now he is on gears I spend most of our rides reminding him to switch to an easier gear…

cloudnine
    Free Member

Theres a few short slightly steeper sections of road / path / track that we ride where she struggles to get up and ends up pushing up and i can see her getting a bit frustrated with getting off.. ive tried encouraging her to stand up and peddle but am very aware of trying to push her to do stuff which isnt fun.. cos thats why we ride bikes… right??

chriswilk
    Free Member

A game of follow the leader works well. Make her try everything you do.
    Also world with older kids when teaching them other skills

lister

Hi Jon…bring her along to the Pembrokeshire Pocket Rockets sessions on a Saturday morning. We started earlier this year and loads of the kids have really come on with their skills.
    We’ll hopefully be BC affiliated soon and will be run through Pembs County Council to get all their support .
    We meet on the running track at Sir Thomas Picton school in H’West, starting at 11am…

stufive
    Free Member

My little girl is 4 1/2 too she’s does fairly well but she can’t stand up either yet she just looks like she’s going to fall off when she tries

mattjg
    Free Member

Sounds like she’s not ready. When she’s ready, I bet she will.

So chill, daddyo.

Bez

Tagalong or similar can help – they can get used to the idea of standing up without having to balance at the same time.

But yeah, don’t stress if it’s not happening yet. Enjoying it is the important thing.

aracer
    Free Member

+1. My littlest is 4 in a few days, and he can’t confidently stand up. Do I look bothered? Big brother at 6 has to be told to sit down on his saddle, I’m sure it will come.

Their mum isn’t very good at pedalling standing up though – any suggestions on how to teach her?

Junkyard
    Free Member

remove the seat aracer what else could work [ not if she is on the unicycle mind]
    It will come hills worked for mine to realise this – tbh why else would you stand up unless you needed to due to terrain bumpiness or steepness?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘How to teach a child to pedal standing up??’ is closed to new replies.