Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • How to retrain and motivate staff….
  • footflaps

Or rather how not to:

“you have been identified as one of these employees,” and says that from mid-October through the end of March, “you will dedicate up to one day per week,” or up to 23 working days total, “to focus on learning and development.”

But IBM is coupling this training with a six month salary reduction. The key statement in the memo is this: “While you spend part of your workweek on learning and development activities, you will receive 90% of your current base salary.”

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2683239/ibm-cuts-pay-by-10-for-workers-picked-for-training.html

johndoh
    Free Member

S’pose the option was ‘you are shit and we don’t want you darkening our doorstep ever again, shoo!’

hooli

Sounds like they want to reduce headcount without spending the money on redundancy payments.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Looks fine to me. Plenty of hangers on in IBM.

footflaps

Amazing it’s legal to do that in the US. Mind you, they have bugger all employment rights….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d love to see management at my work employing that, and no, I’m not a manager. It seems almost impossible to manage those who feel entitled now. Upwards 40k a year, potential to earn way more, 34.5 hr week, and loads of them feel hard done to.

hot_fiat

Oooh, IBM in race to be nastier than HP shocker! I’m hugely surprised. Oh hang on, no I’m not.

Mrs_FIAT is waiting for her redundancy pay from the Identical Blue Men. Redundancy was far more attractive than any of the roles they offered her.

TooTall
    Free Member

It’s funny to see that – the perceived wisdom being that the risk of them leaving after you train them to be better is preferable to not training them and they stay!
    Cheap and nasty little thing to do for such a large corporation. They must gush money around.

MoreCashThanDash

My boss is waiting to find out what will happen to him on 1st October as he was unsuccessful in applying for his own job. Which is running the best performing team in the country.

More worryingly, he has found out about his lack of success at this, and the subsequent failure to get a post with a different team, by impersonal email, exactly 24 hours after the whole organization has been given a list of the successful candidates, which didn’t have his name on.

So much for the cushy public sector….

Junkyard
    Free Member

shitty way to force folk out the door

they make circa 3 billion profit per quarter as well

molgrips
    Free Member

I think employees are obliged in their contracts to train themselves for a certain amount per year, and it could be that some employees have not fulfilled their obligations.

butcher

Sounds like they want to reduce headcount without spending the money on redundancy payments.

Surely though, a lot of them will stay anyway, because that’s where they’re comfortable, but just put way less enthusiasm into the job they’re doing. I can’t really see how IBM wins.

hot_fiat

I can’t really see how IBM wins

10% reduction in salary payments? Don’t forget that big blue GTS had a reputation before this for giving sweet fa for their employees well-being and an even worse reputation for making proper foot-in-mouth stupid decisions. Making unhappy staff less happy is probably of little concern.

Junkyard
    Free Member

not according to the link

allan23
    Free Member

Sounds right, best thing I did was take redundancy from I’m Badly Motivated a few years ago.

My first “on boarding” meeting was a conversation with a long termer who’s advice was stick it as long as you can and build up service then take a payout.

butcher

10% reduction in salary payments?

Followed by 10% reduction in productivity and subsequent profits, presumably.

freddyg
    Free Member

Interesting. I wonder how long it will be before this reaches the UK.

I’ve been with “I Believe in Miraces” for four years now. Excellent feedback from clients, extremely high “utilisation” (could only be higher if I didn’t take my holidays) and not a single payrise in 4 years. Not a penny.

I’m not particularly feeling their love at the moment.

hot_fiat

You think their manglement and bean counters have the foresight to take that into consideration?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘How to retrain and motivate staff….’ is closed to new replies.