Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • How to repair broken cast metal?? HELP
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Our little (sub) 2 year old dropped it this morning and the ears shattered and front legs snapped.

similar to this:

any ideas about how to repair? or is it a case of replace?

What’s it made of ?
    It looks like bronze or brass, which I would expect to bend rather than break.
    At a guess, I would say it’s a zinc/aluminium alloy with a bronze plating or coating of some sort.
    If so, it’s not the sort of thing that could be easily welded.
    Best to drill corresponding holes in the broken face of both parts and peg and glue it.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

too thin to do that i am afraid, think its brass coated resin

uplink
    Free Member

Hare today, gone tomorrow

konabunny
    Free Member

;(

rob-jackson
    Free Member

mummy is very upset, daughter is going through full repertoire of cute!!

This is the nearest I can find to explain what I mean.

Simply glueing the broken parts back on with a butt joint will never be strong enough.
    You need to increase the glue area and add some through strength with a sort of loose tenon.
    Drill in to each broken face with a 3mm drill and use a cut down spoke as a spigot.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

the metal is about .5mm in places

Oh, that’s pretty thin.
    I found this which explains what I mean a bit better.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?autocom=ineo&mod=article&op=printable&id=392

If it’s 0.5mm thick though, that won’t work.

Junkyard
    Free Member

at 0.5mm glue is your only option or use a spoon and carbon rap- possibly brace from the rear for the ear where you wont see that side??
    It should hold it as I assume you dont move it much.
    Reassure the wife as it could have been a childs face. Probably best to move all your ornaments especially ones that you value and /or could injure said child.

kaiser
    Free Member

drill into the resin then!
    surely just an epoxy resin glue would suffice if it’s to be kept away from playful hands?

iDave
    Free Member

the death of any ‘ornament’ is to be rejoiced. please reward the child.

Harry_the_Spider

Brushable Loctite and put it somewhere out of reach. Just fixed the cast support/leg/stand thing on the back of my Pure Move DAB with it after my son knocked it over.

It also works on glass lamp shades and pot cows.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Junkyard please stop the bullying and personal attacks.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Calm down al, I thought it was quite funny. Besides youre hardly whiter than white in this respect al.

scaredypants

if you mean it’s hollow with very thin walls it’ll be a bugger to fix dependably. maybe you could pack something inside to support it ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

😯 @ al I believe my defence here is that this is this internet and therefore not real.
    😀

gusamc
    Free Member

If the legs etc are hollow can you fill in the hole in 1 end with glue and stick a dowel (like MidTQG) out of it and get it set nice and hard and then fill other hole with glue (araldaite two parts works for me) get it tacky and then stick that way ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL guys…good comebacks

M6TTF
    Free Member

Lob it int bin, buy something nice

rob-jackson
    Free Member

m6ttf – **** off

andyl
    Free Member

JB Weld – metal filled epoxy – build up internal areas that are not visible and then paint with some model aircraft paint that is the best match.

kaesae
    Free Member

Take the hint and buy the kid a fluffy bunny!

meehaja
    Free Member

we had one of them when I was little. Thats all.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘How to repair broken cast metal?? HELP’ is closed to new replies.