Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • How to Hang a Hammock
  • djambo
    Free Member

Many moons ago I picked up a great double hammock from Mexico which has sat in the loft unused for several years. We’ve recently moved and finally have the perfect couple of trees in the garden for a hammock.

The question is how best to attach it to the trees? Ideally I want to:

– not ruin the hammock looped ends (made of cotton I believe
    – be able to quickly put up/take down without phaffing with knots
    – be able to adjust the height quickly/easily

Had a quick google and want to avoid buying some expensive accessories I’ve seen on a couple of hammock sites.

Best options seem to be Tree Bands then one of these carabiners on each end of the hammock to attach to the bands.

Any better/easier/cheaper ideas?

bodgy
    Free Member

I think that combination looks great. The tree bands are a really good idea, as it’s very easy to damage the tree using rope. They’re a visually retreating colour, as well.

orangespyderman

endless slings* and carabiners from a hardware store. Most’ll be rated way above what you need – even if you try for a bit of comedy hammock “action” nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

EDIT *this may not actually be what they’re called. Basically a nylon webbing loop.

core

I bought a cotton hammock off eBay last year and hung it between two trees in the garden.

My solution is a bit agricultural but it works – 2 loops of webbing strap wrapped around the trees, then a carabiner to link those to the hammock.

wwaswas

some 50mm width tie down straps?

You can use the ratchet to adjust the length and tension and also they have hooks so you can attach the hammock?

fourbanger
    Free Member

Worth noting that tension on the straps could be multiplied by a factor of around 4 for a hammock, depending on the angle you sling it.
    Say 150kg for 2 people x 4 = 600kg straps required for a static load. If you get “dynamic” that will increase.

bigyinn
    Free Member

When I had a hammock in the garden I just ran some rope round the tree trunk (with slack to allow for trunk growth) and a loop to attach the hammock with a carabiner on the ends of the hammock.

giant_scum
    Free Member

I used a couple of screw in hooks from B&Q, previously used for hanging an indoor swing for the kids from a door frame. Then the hammock itself attached to these with carabineers.

Cougar

We had one on holiday, el cheapo thing from Decathlon. I just lashed it up with rope and a slip-knot, worked fine.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Was the slip knot to get you in the mood for relaxing?

AlexSimon

Well if you did go for Whoopie Slings, you wouldn’t regret it. They aren’t much dearer than a couple of cheap carabiners and some webbing to be honest.
    DD Whoopie Slings
    (you’d still need something to go around the trees. A short amount of webbing with something for a toggle is best).

However, I used just webbing for ages. If weight isn’t an issue, then you can knot a load of loops into it, for easy adjustment. Just clip your preferred loop into the carabiner.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘How to Hang a Hammock’ is closed to new replies.