Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • How to cut these logs up?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

These are some of the bigger logs that remain of a Eucalyptus tree that came down in the garden about 5 years ago. I’ve also got about a further 10 logs that are a bit smaller but need splitting a few times before they’ll fit in the stove. They will be dry but very tough and stringy.

I’ve got a 12″ chainsaw but I’m not sure it’s going to touch this stuff and an axe just gets stuck.
    Don’t really want to hire a big chainsaw but not sure I’ve got a choice.

andyl
    Free Member

wood grenade and a sledge hammer?

z1ppy

log splitting wedge, shirley

treefeller
    Free Member

Put them in your car, drive to local Tree surgeon / firewood supplier, who has a large hydraulic spitter, give him a tenner ( or similar ) help him split them , load back in car.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

log splitting wedge, shirley

Yup, or a jolly big axe. You local hardware shop ***not B&Q or the like*** will have an axe for the job for about £20 tops.

Available from Screwfix…

LOL – second review of the linked axe above…

“I bought one of these recently as we have just had a large eucalyptus taken down in the back yard.

geoffj

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bVAAx3mMKY[/video]

Drac

Log splitter not an axe, a Mel and a log grenades plus chainsaw. Split and cut, split and cut you’ll be done in no time. We do full trees like that with a 14″ chainsaw blade.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Okay, so it isn’t *technically* an axe it is a

Splitting Maul

It just looks like an axe so I called it that.

😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

splitting them with a splitting maul will not be easy as they will have twisted grain being near the base / near a junction of stems

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yep I agree TJ but can be done (and I have had a full summer’s experience of splitting logs when a student so have split them of every conceivable shape and size – and all using nothing but a conventional axe).

I suppose my view is to get a tool that will be the most flexible for ease of cutting the majority of logs in the future too (ie, not all will have junctions as described and only one of those pictured appears to have)

geoffj

They are going to be a bastard to split. Drac has it right.
    Buy the heaviest maul you can. I got one from Screwfix with a polycarbonate handle, and then rescued an old school wooden handle jobbie from the dump. The difference between them is night and day and the screwfix one is now on long term loan to a friend.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Yep I agree TJ but can be done (and I have had a full summer’s experience of splitting logs when a student so have split them of every conceivable shape and size – and all using nothing but a conventional axe)

Im sure you have MF, but have you ever tried Eucalyptus? it’s a complete tawt to split. I hired a hyd splitter a coupl eo years ago and it couldn’t do the eucalyptus as it was so stringy and tough.
    This shows how the grain is twisted and not straight making splitting difficult:

and this shows what happens when I properly tawt my [cutting] axe into a smaller log…. I’m 15 stone and not exactly weak:

I think careful use of the chainsaw to cut each one up into smaller pieces is the way forward.

Edit: Just found out that unlike most other woods it should be split when green as it ‘becomes tough when dry’. Arse.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Im sure you have MF, but have you ever tried Eucalyptus?

I genuinely have no idea. I was just paid to split logs next to the river all day long in the sun and eat meat pie washed down with a pint every lunchtime (I worked at a pub) 🙂

I shall bow to your clearly better knowledge.

geoffj

Edit: Just found out that unlike most other woods it should be split when green as it ‘becomes tough when dry’. Arse.

All firewood should be split when green. Its easier and dries quicker.

Have a wonder over to http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/firewood-forum/ and see if there are any local firewood producers who would do you a deal on ready split stuff, taking the euc in part exchange or would split it for you for a small charge.

I’m not sure you can hire a chainsaw without the relevant tickets anyway.

Reminds me a bit of this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250887405769

nickhart
    Free Member

are you near sheffield? if so can i have one for wood turning? you’re mad to burn em the wood is beautiful when turned or machined and then polished.
    as for going down the splitting route patience and wedges are the way forward.

rickmeister

The worlds fastest log splitter looks really easy and safe to use….

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Using that axe you’ve got there is the equivalent of cleaning a floor with a toothbrush. I know as I spent many hours in my youth using the one my Dad supplied in order to split his logs.

Then I found out that what you actually need is one of these:

… and having received the arcane knowledge of our forefathers I completed my journey from boy to man.

What you have is a felling axe, and it is almost useless for splitting logs, especially dried out old gnarly ones.

You might also do well to have a small sledgehammer to hand to drive the splitter in if it gets stuck in a big bit.

passtherizla
    Free Member

you should be ok with a maul…

geoffj

The worlds fastest log splitter looks really easy and safe to use….

😆

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmtMv7Cz0HA[/video]

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘How to cut these logs up?’ is closed to new replies.