Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • How silly would it be to enter the Kielder 100 as an unfit office worker?
  • reluctantlondoner

I’m massively tempted.

But – I am only just getting back into riding and living in That London and working stupid hours means that my on the bike time is limited.

But i have six months to get my act together – it could be the making of me, right? A gazillion gym sessions and spin classes would see me right?

And it would be a defiant two fingers up at the advance of my 40s.

No reason not to really? And I am so very tempted.

shifter
    Free Member

Nothing’s impossible but I’d be recommend a MTB Marathon first! I suppose you could enter one halfway through that 6 months to assess your fitness for those ONE HUNDRED MILES 😮

andrewh
    Free Member

Maybe Keilder 50 this year and Kielder 100 next?

br
    Free Member

You can enter, and then hope you can make the time cut-offs.

But unless you can up your mileage/fitness you’re just wasting money.

As a comparison my Pal does the 100, and he is known as ‘the machine’ by my son – and he’s only mid-pack.

greenmug
    Free Member

Hi, I’m training for it at the moment. The 100 is far more than just a longer version of the many MTB events. An important consideration is the cut offs. 50 ish miles in 7 hours is the minimum to get through. Even though I cycle regular and do several 30 odd mile events a year that was hard to achieve on recent tests.

Are you aware there is a mini version called the Border Raid. About one third the distance and early enough in the year to gauge how well you will cope in September. Also, why not do the 50 mile version this year. That gives you a three step process to completing the 100.

To be honest, if someone who doesn’t have the luxury of good training time could complete the 100 it would de-value its appeal as something to work very hard to achieve. I baked off entering last year and did smaller distance events to train. Then this year I have a training programme to build the strength and fitness up. Mostly indoors funnily enough.

So DO aim for the 100, but earn it through a progression of events and training. Good luck.

reluctantlondoner

Hmm – I was starting to think it might be over-ambitious and it seems that is the consensus. 50 this year and 100 next year it is then.

jameso

6 months is a decent amount of time to train for a ~12hr day on the bike, providing you make the most of it. You’ll need to get out and do long base miles on or off-road though, or have a massive boredom threshold on a static bike )
    The main thing is you want to do it, that’s where your motivation to work hard will come from. 2 fingers indeed!
    Edit, it’s probably not over-ambitious – you may not be at race-lead pace but you could get through it and learn how to go faster the next year. Personally, I’ve found writing a way bigger mileage cheque than my legs can cash (aka fear) is a great motivator..

Pridds

I’m doing it and doing the Whinlatter next weekend so Kielder will not be first event. I promised myself i would do it last year as i lost 6 stone and i wanted a reason to keep the weight off and get out more on the bike.
    I have been doing longer rides over the winter and can do the 50 miles in 7 hours bit but i am going to have to pick up the intensity and length of the rides over the next few months to put myself in with a chance of getting round. I am entering it with a realistic goal of just getting round in front of the cutoffs. Got the bike sorted and trying to get as comfortable as i can on it as it is realistically going to be about 13 hours of riding

nuke

If you haven’t done it, do the SDW in a day first…similar distance and ascent. Good test to see how you’d do on the Kielder but on something more ‘local’ to London.

IanW
    Free Member

Depends if you are overweight, that’ll make it difficult(speaking from experience), the rest is in the heed.

djflexure

Everybody needs a target so if it tickles your fancy then go for it. Plenty of time to get fit.

Pridds

Am planning to do the SDW in a day in early July to find out what it’s like to ride that far but without the pressure of the race or cutoffs

D0NK

I’m reasonably fit and was doing road commuting, 40 mile xc rides regularly couple of 50s and a 70+ miler in the lead up still took me 12:30 odd in fair weather. You’re gonna have to be training seriously for 6 months to manage it from what you say. How much will power you got?

grtdkad
    Free Member

What Greenmug said ^^^^^^

glupton1976
    Free Member

There’s only one way to find out if you can do it or not and that is to go out and do it. Remember – there is no try.

Drac

Give it ago you’re not wasting money it’s not just about finishing it’s about giving it ago and enjoying it. Tough event but it’s setting you one hell of a goal.

simonside
    Free Member

I`d go somewhere where you are guaranteed a dry day or sandfree trails 🙂

large418
    Free Member

Give it a go, but you will waste your money of you don’t prepare. By prepare, I mean lots of long rides at weekends both on and off road, with lots of climbing, and a few mid week rides as well. If you are a bimbler, you might want to try the Kielder 50, or at least some local distance rides first. If you are a racer, you should be OK,just get your head into the right mindset – that’s more than half the battle.

You may also want to make sure your bike is matched to the job as well – well maintained is the key, after that it’s choosing the right bike (an 8″ travel DH monster might not be the best choice, but hardtails, FS, 29ers, 26ers, singlespeeds, geareds all make appearances – you just need a bike you are comfortable pedalling up hill and downhill for 12+ hours).

Good luck!

reluctantlondoner

Not overweight, but not raced for 20 odd years – I’m in better shape than most office dwellers which is why I’m even entertaining the notion. But – and this is key – I need to prove to myself that i can get myself as fit as i was 20 odd years ago (which should be possible, given that I wasn’t a fit racer and powered myself with beer and pies), but also that I have an absolute blast doing it all.

Smoking the 50 might be the way to go…

alansd1980

I’m in a similar situation and have entered.
    The bulk of my training is going to be coming from commuting (35 mile round trip) and the odd long weekend ride. Should be possible but not easy. Using the same regime I did a 100 mile off road ride last year and felt pretty decent towards the end.

I just entered and booked accommodation that way I am down to waste the money if I don’t get my finger out and do some proper training.

Go on….

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Just do it – the knowledge that it’s on the horizon will motivate you to be fit enough.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Races like the Gorrick 100, AYTE and the Maxx Exposure SDW night race are soooooo excellent. Plenty to get your teeth into within an hour of London.

br
    Free Member

The Gorrick is in June, and you could just start the 7 lapper and see how many you can do.

I’ll be honest I ride between 50 and 100 offroad miles every week, and live in Scotland so have plenty of climbing too. Today for example we did 25 miles and 3,500ft of climbing in the snow.

Based upon chatting to a buddy that does the 100, I wouldn’t. Its not I don’t think I couldn’t (I’ve done the SDW), its just that I know I wouldn’t enjoy it. And that for me is the key reason to do anything.

gasyz
    Free Member

I’ve entered the 100,thinking I’ve got plenty of time to get fit before hand and mind over matter should help a bit aswell.But I’ve just done the Red Kite Devils Challenge.80k and 2600m of climbing took me just over 6 hours and I was totally wrecked at the end,At the moment I can’t see how I could go twice that distance.I should hopfully manage the first cut off at 50miles but from there it will only be a matter of time before I’m reduced to a crawling wreck again.
    How the hell can I double the distance in 5 months.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘How silly would it be to enter the Kielder 100 as an unfit office worker?’ is closed to new replies.